Shade (poker movie)

looks like it was a striaght to video release (too bad)

http://blockbuster.ca/movies/detail.aspx?ID=3007

I'm going to pick it up (hope its in) and write a review :)

Comments

• well, i liked it...a lot. went right to walmart on the 25th and bought it unseen.

however, keep in mind that it was written by a person who has primarily a magic background, as opposed to a poker player background. he certainly knows the card gambling world though! but don't expect it to be the greatest poker movie ever.

the plot is not entirely new (i didn't say old :wink: ), but i think it was meant as an homage to other movies with similar plots (CK, Sting).
    also, there are a lot of inside jokes if you know anything about magicians and the art. watch the featurette for some of them (and for an explanation as to why they use the old "i raise you more than you have, so you'll have to put up your farm to stay in" gambit).

yep...loved it.
  • well, i liked it...a lot. went right to walmart on the 25th and bought it unseen.

how much?
  • more than i expected.
    was hoping it would be in one of those "who the hell is gonna want this movie" sections for $9.99, or even $14.99....cause usually walmart does that. but it was more. $23.99 i believe...i took the sticker off already, and my memory blows.
  • Wow. I went to blockbuster (with the intent to buy it without having seeing it first) and was told that they don't have any retail copies because the distributors are asking $110 a copy. You found it at a Wal-Mart?

I rented it (the last of only 5 copies available for rent) and will be watching it tonight.

*edit* futureshop.ca has it for $24.99

I wonder what on earth the manager was talking about?
  • I wonder what on earth the manager was talking about?

It's possible that movies for rental are priced differently than those for home use. A video store can't rent out the DVD's that are on sale at retail stores.

ScottyZ
  • speaking of poker movies anyone been to http://www.stueymovie.com/ lately? They got a bunch of clips you can watch now.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that Van Patten commentating in the "golf" clip?
  • Yeah, Van Patten!

Looks like a good movie. Will this be hitting theatres Nation wide? OR Straight to DVD?
  • Shade is a pretty bad movie, for movie standards that is. It's not holding a candle to Rounders. I'd suggest just renting and not buying it.
  • sounds like a definite rental for me then... Rounders is safe for now
  • Shade is a pretty bad movie, for movie standards that is.

Huh?

To what other standard shall we compare movies? :)

ScottyZ
  • I don't know. It's just a pretty bad poker movie, is what I was getting at I guess. It was late when I replied last night, forgive me.

In the movie, they only play Hold Em like once from what I remember.
  • Oh, I get it... you just left off the word "poker".

Kind of funny the way it turned out though. :)

ScottyZ
    ScottyZ wrote:
    Shade is a pretty bad movie, for movie standards that is.

Huh?

To what other standard shall we compare movies? :)

ScottyZ
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    It's possible that movies for rental are priced differently than those for home use. A video store can't rent out the DVD's that are on sale at retail stores.

Yep, that's the case...$110 isn't actually that high for a movie, I'd say it's about average.
  • Tilter wrote:
    Yeah, Van Patten!

Looks like a good movie. Will this be hitting theatres Nation wide? OR Straight to DVD?
    I think it was released to select theatre Sept 2003. So I think it must be on DVD now.
  • ScottyZ wrote:

Yep, that's the case...$110 isn't actually that high for a movie, I'd say it's about average.

that expensive :shock: :o :shock:

no wonders blockbutster charge an arm n leg :(

:shock:
  • well...I said I'd write a review...but there really isn't much to say but..

from the perspective of being a "poker movie" I give it a 5 or 6 out of 10

from just looking at it for entertainment value its a 7/10 or so.

Think Ebert will be knocking on my door as a new partner?
  • maybe we could start a folder specifically for Poker Movie Reviews :D

although there's not too many atm :(

:?:
  • I was able to watch (and "backup") the movie yesturday. I agree it isn't the best movie if you are looking for a poker movie. But as a normal "heist-type" movie, I thought it was great! Lots of thinking, turns and twists. I'd give it an 8 out of 10 overall...
  • ice wrote:
    I was able to watch (and "backup") the movie yesturday. I agree it isn't the best movie if you are looking for a poker movie. But as a normal "heist-type" movie, I thought it was great! Lots of thinking, turns and twists. I'd give it an 8 out of 10 overall...

nice :D ...will watch it soon i hope :D :shock:
  • I liked it! A very pulp-fiction type movie the way it was shot. I especially loved the sleight of hand card tricks, I'd rather do those tricks than chip tricks at the table ;) . The twists were so sweet too

an easy 7 out of 10 from me