A hand I don't feel good about

ok... live tourney T10000 to start - Level 1 25/50

UTG I get AhAd (I've folded all 6 hands so far) and raise to 300... LP (TAG) caller... rest fold.

Flop: AsKcTc

I check... LP bets 600... I just call here.

Turn: 3d

I check... LP bets 1000.... I raise to 4000.... he thinks for about 20 secs and pushes all-in....

I like to think that I was going to throw it away but I called and he turned over QJ... river brings no help for me!!
Knowing that he's a tight player... I've been killing myself about this hand for 2 weeks now... it's even inspired my new card protector.... a roll of teflon tape

teflon-tape.gif

Comments

• ok... live tourney T10000 to start - Level 1 25/50

UTG I get AhAd (I've folded all 6 hands so far) and raise to 300... LP (TAG) caller... rest fold.

It's a good raise, it'll chase out anyone that's got less than a great hand... unless it's an awful couple of players.

Flop: AsKcTc

I check... LP bets 600... I just call here.

A nice flop for you... you've hit top set, but there is a flush draw out there, and of course the made straight if someone called that raise with JQ. Personally, I think it's a decent call, especially if they're suited... you've got 10k in chips, 300 is not an obscene amount. I think this is where your hand falls apart.
    With 675 in the pot (2x $300 bet + $75 blinds), I would probably fire off 700 at the pot. Depending on his reaction, I would then determine if it was a value bet, or a feeler. If he re-raised at me, I would be worried, the BEST case scenario for you at that point is that he has something like 9-J clubs, giving him 13 outs, or (my apologies if the math is wrong) about a 48% chance to win the hand. And that's BEST case... unless he has something like KK, which is just about 4.25% chance, but I gotta think he'd be re-raising preflop with KK. If he was just to call the 700 bet, then he's either drawing, or trapping.

Bottom line is, without that feeler bet, you lose a LOT of information that you could have used to lose only about 1500 of your stack (provided you're disciplined enough to fold trip aces), versus all of it. The tournament's early, you can make back that 15% of your stack.

Of course, this is all theoretical, I know when I see aces, and then hit the trip, I'm trying to get most of my cash in there. The rest of the hand is obviously no help to either of you, but one of you didn't need it. Don't beat yourself up over it... I did the same thing to a lesser degree and lost about $35 in a .25/.50 cent game!! Learn from it, and avoid it if you get that familiar creepy feeling.

Now, if it's later in the tournement, well, that may be a different situation entirely.

Mark
  • I go broke.

But, the only thing that might talk me into folding is the fact that you have played the hand "as if you have a set of aces or kings." So, if he is savvy, he puts you on that hand. I doubt he will talk himself into trying to take you off a set and thus you *might* give him credit for Q-J. But... this is a lot easier to do when not in the hand.
  • I go broke every single time
  • pretty much impossible to get away from this hand...

ESPECIALLY with all the dead money donks flying around at the beginning of a tournament.