end of tourney hand question

Recently, through some aggressive play and insane luck, I made it to heads up at a home tourney. I had roughly 50% more chips than my opponent. First was worth 35% more than second. He offered to split the prize money with me. I thought I should get at least a 10% premium plus I thought I had a good chance against him so I wasn't worried about continuing to play. Any thoughts on what a 'fair' deal would be? We played on...

Blinds 1000/2000 with approx 25000 chips in play. I had just over 13k. He had just under 11k. On the button, I was dealt J7s. Not a great hand but he had been playing pretty weak and I thought I could steal. Min re-raises or a little more seemed to be working. I raised to 5k. He re-raised all-in, another 5800. I was getting almost 3-1 on my money but I had a strong feeling his cards were very strong. I caved, figuring at least I'd have enough chips to continue battling but it was over shortly after that. :'( I ran some simulations on that hand. Giving him credit for any pair, any ace or any 2 cards 10 or higher, he would have been at almost 2-1 over me. But on pot odds alone, I think I was justified in calling. I just couldn't pull the trigger. Any other ways to look at this?

Comments

• Any thoughts on what a 'fair' deal would be?

Sklansky shows that, assuming that the players are equally skilled, the portion of money that is still up for grabs (that is, the 1st place prize subtract the 2nd place prize) should be split in the ratio of the chip counts.

This is the method (not necessarily the correct method when 3-handed or more) that PokerStars quotes when asked to perform calculations for a "chip count" deal.

In the hand you mentioned, I would have moved all-in pre-flop. When both stacks are short stacks (or equivalently the blinds are enoumous) it's important to let your opponent be the one who is not pulling the trigger. With the average stack being 6.5 big blinds, welcome to bingo and get those chips moving.

Folding when your opponent moved all-in is a clear error I think.

ScottyZ
  • You have about 40% of your stack in the pot, I'd say you're committed especially with that blind level. I would call, you're not in terrible shape unless he has JJ-AA.
  • its a definite call in my opinion

you got caught on a steal, but youre committed to the pot...
    i know ive made calls like these and have had people laugh at me and criticize my play, but like you said, you have odds to draw, and its the correct play at the time...
  • Ok, we are all in agreement.

The thought of people saying "WTF?" when they saw my cards did run through my head. Up to that point I had an image of playing pretty solid poker. My head said call but my heart said "You're beat". I shoulda closed my eyes and called.

I guess I had a 'reverse-Rammy' moment. Thanks for the feedback.
  • in spots like that my decision pre-fold is fold or push. you don't play, anything other than game theory at that point.
  • Any thoughts on what a 'fair' deal would be? We played on...

As per ScottyZ... Suppose there is $200 for first and $100 for second. Play A has T150 and player B has T100.

Since both are gauranteed $100 then the only $100 remins be be split up. A has 60% of the chips and gets $60 and B has 40% and gets $40. That's the "fair" split. But, look at your opponent and announce, "Yeah, but you suck an poker so I should get a little bit." Or, at least think that and try and get more.
    Blinds 1000/2000 with approx 25000 chips in play. I had just over 13k. He had just under 11k. On the button, I was dealt J7s.

Move in or fold. You are committed to calling. This is the point in the tournament that it is exclusively a pre-flop game.