Would you go for the cash or the ticket?

So I am in a $40+4 MTT. 54 started. Top 7 get paid… sort of. Top 6 get a buy-in to the weekly $300+20, with #7 getting the remainder that didn’t add up to $320. In this case it was $240.

My thought from the start was that if I made it to Top 7, I would risk it, b/c in a way the cash would almost be better than the buy-in. The question was…how many others were thinking the same thing.

Here we are with 7 left. All that had to happen here was for someone other than me to win the hand. being the shortest stack all in, I would have placed 7th. What happened? I catch RUNNER RUNNER diamonds to win the hand …In the chat after the hand, it turns out 2 others were trying for the cash too. So I ended up winning the thing and a ticket to a 300+20 MTT. Last week 147 entered. Top 20 got paid with the winner grossing 11K. I am not complaining...I have tightened up some holes in my game recently and will try and keep my A game for one saturday when I use my ticket!

Seat 1: coryreames ($8,034 in chips)
<b>Seat 4: NastyHabits [AD,6D] ($2,780 in chips)</b>
Seat 5: corvdave ($4,616 in chips)
Seat 6: x Shades ($5,380 in chips)
Seat 7: htrain44 ($47,482 in chips)
Seat 8: QMoney102 ($6,856 in chips)
Seat 9: southernski4 ($5,852 in chips)
ANTES/BLINDS
NastyHabits posts blind ($1,000).
PRE-FLOP
corvdave calls $1,000, x Shades bets $2,500, htrain44 calls $2,500, QMoney102 folds, southernski4 folds, coryreames bets $8,034 and is all-in, NastyHabits calls $1,780 and is all-in, corvdave folds, x Shades calls $2,880 and is all-in, htrain44 folds.
FLOP [board cards 8H,4C,KD ]
TURN [board cards 8H,4C,KD,8D ]
RIVER [board cards 8H,4C,KD,8D,2D ]
SHOWDOWN
coryreames shows [ 8S,QS ]
NastyHabits shows [ AD,6D ]
x Shades shows [ 9D,10C ]
coryreames wins $2,654, coryreames wins $5,200, NastyHabits wins $11,840.

I posted some hands from bubble play here (it was the cash of a chip leader keeping a short stack alive) 
http://did-you-see-that.blogspot.com/ .

Comments

• If you are not confident in playing for the larger dollar amont and think it will change the way you play then I would sell the ticket and continue to play the smaller events until you get better.

Rob.
  • I am pretty sure that tickets at pokerrrom.com are non-transferrable and non-assignable.
  • ALWAYS go for the ticket.
    Unless the cash is less than 5% off of the value of the ticket you gotta be nuts to not play for the ticket.

I am not the only one who is willing to buy up a seat that someone would sell at a slight discount.
  • x Shades, if actually trying to win bottom prize, plays this hand very poorly. He should have opened for $5,379, with the intention of folding if any player that he has covered enters the pot, and calling otherwise.

Given the actual action, x Shades (again, if he is trying for 7th place) should have folded when it came back around to him in order to maximize the chances of the shortest stacked player winning the pot.

ScottyZ
  • Take the ticket man! I remember playing one of the $3 rebuy Stars tourneys to the Sunday $215 (Back then I think it was $350k guaranteed). Managed to squeak myself into the money and pick up a pretty cool 1k for my 9 buck entry (1 rebuy + addon). Not to mention I seem to remember of the story of some accountant from Tennessee who was considering dumping to take a 7k (I think) 4th place money finish instead of a WSOP entry. I think we remember how that one managed to play out... :) I think I'll always take the lure of the BIG reward over the guaranteed small victory...
  • ScoobyD wrote:
    Take the ticket man! I remember playing one of the $3 rebuy Stars tourneys to the Sunday $215 (Back then I think it was $350k guaranteed). Managed to squeak myself into the money and pick up a pretty cool 1k for my 9 buck entry (1 rebuy + addon). Not to mention I seem to remember of the story of some accountant from Tennessee who was considering dumping to take a 7k (I think) 4th place money finish instead of a WSOP entry. I think we remember how that one managed to play out... :) I think I'll always take the lure of the BIG reward over the guaranteed small victory...

At Stars, this is less of an issue for two reasons.

1. You can automatically convert entry ticket for its full value in T$ by simply unregistering from the target tournament.

2. I believe that T$ can be sold for real money through Stars support.

I often play various Stars satellites with no intention of playing in the target tournament since I can use the T$ myself, and I enjoy the lower monetary variance of the flat payout structure.

Oddly enough, if I want to try to get into a larger buy-in tournament, I'll more often try to win the entry in a cash game rather than a satellite. Some yahoo bought into the 2004 WSOP this way, and I thought it was a cool idea. :cool:

ScottyZ
  • Let me ask you this
    WHY would you play this tourney if you're just trying to make money?
    It makes no sense.
  • I guess I should clarify, I was in it for the ticket...however, I would not be disappointed if the cash came my way. I play with a fairly small bankroll (being a student in massive debt, 3 degrees). so anything over 100$ I cash out to my bank account. $240Us would have been a nice influx to my increased summer expenses. lol.
  • I guess I should clarify, I was in it for the ticket...

In that case, you have a very clear fold here.

Given the betting action in front of you, the prospect of sitting out this hand giving another player the opportunity to get busted far outweighs any benefit you might receive from quadrupling up at this point. There is little benefit to building chips when your only goal at this point in moving up one spot into the prizes.

In the same scenario, I'd fold KK in a heartbeat, and it's one of the rare cases I'd fold AA too. So, yeah, I think I'd kick in the A6s as well. ;)

Another way of thinking of it is to consider what you'd do with the exact same hand (facing the same pre-flop action) in a tournament with cash payouts. If you'd fold the hand in a cash payout format, where there actually is some incentive to build chips, the same hand certainly needs to be folded at a point in a satellite tournament where survival your only goal.

Voluntarily entring a multi-way action pot for all your chips as the lowest stack at the table when you're on the bubble of a satellite tournament is a substantial error.

ScottyZ
  • Folding Aces 8)
    ScottyZ wrote:
    I guess I should clarify, I was in it for the ticket...

In that case, you have a very clear fold here.

[snip]

In the same scenario, I'd fold KK in a heartbeat, and it's one of the rare cases I'd fold AA too.

[snap]

ScottyZ