Tournament hand for analysis

It's Pokerstars $3+R Satellite to Sunday event.
I have very tight image at the table. I only played 3 or 4 hands. Won all of them, two at showdown with premium hands. So i assume everyone at the table knew i am tight player. When the re-buy period was over i am table chip leader with 12k, then comes this hand:

PokerStars Game #2087722395: Tournament #9857786, Hold'em No Limit - Level V (75/150) - 2005/07/12 - 15:12:38 (ET)
Table '9857786 60' Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: DiMSuMIWoN (3025 in chips)
Seat 2: NorCalRed (6275 in chips)
Seat 3: LoOm (6150 in chips)
Seat 4: CINHAT (3765 in chips)
Seat 5: Dolefin (12385 in chips)
Seat 6: olgolbug (3800 in chips)
Seat 7: TML77 (6185 in chips)
Seat 8: jbbasser (8675 in chips)
Seat 9: Иной (12095 in chips)
LoOm: posts small blind 75
CINHAT: posts big blind 150
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Иной [Ad Ac]
Dolefin: folds
olgolbug: calls 150
TML77: raises 150 to 300 // During re-buy this guy was loose/passive (like most of them are). After re-buy he saw 5 flops out of 8, and was aggressive in those hands.
jbbasser: folds
Иной: raises 300 to 600
DiMSuMIWoN: folds
NorCalRed: folds
LoOm: folds
CINHAT: folds
olgolbug: calls 450
TML77: raises 600 to 1200
Иной: raises 1300 to 2500
olgolbug: folds
TML77: calls 1300
*** FLOP *** [Qh Kc 4c]
TML77: bets 1200

I will post the rest of the hand later, but i can tell you in advance it was bad (otherwise i wouldn't post =)) I just NEED to know, what is the right play here? What would experienced players do here?

Comments

• raise to 6000. if he calls, he has a hand or balls of steel
  • Seat 7: TML77 (6185 in chips)
    raise to 6000. if he calls, he has a hand or balls of steel

If he calls, he's all in anyway.
  • Dealt to Иной [Ad Ac]
    Dolefin: folds
    olgolbug: calls 150
    TML77: raises 150 to 300 // During re-buy this guy was loose/passive (like most of them are). After re-buy he saw 5 flops out of 8, and was aggressive in those hands.
    jbbasser: folds
    Иной: raises 300 to 600

Right here, I would have raised it to $1,000. At this point in a 3+R tournament, you're going to see lots of "must see the flop at all costs" players are going to call you with a (disturbingly) large range of hands. Moving all-in right away, probably not the optimal strategy against skilled opposition, is even a valid option.
    DiMSuMIWoN: folds
    NorCalRed: folds
    LoOm: folds
    CINHAT: folds
    olgolbug: calls 450
    TML77: raises 600 to 1200
    Иной: raises 1300 to 2500

Here, I would certainly move all-in. At this point I would be convinced without a doubt that the opponent wants to play this hand. Raising only a small amount you seem to be missing out on a lot of value in case your opponent has a strong pre-flop hand that doesn't catch a good flop.

The key here is that there is very solid evidence from the pre-flop action that your opponent does in fact have a strong hand. There is no need to trap such an opponent.

Worst case scenario if you make a big raise: you pick up a ~$2,500 pot with no risk. That doesn't suck.
    olgolbug: folds
    TML77: calls 1300
    *** FLOP *** [Qh Kc 4c]
    TML77: bets 1200

Move all-in. Your hand is too strong, and the remaining stacks are not deep enough relative to the pot size, to be able to get away from the hand at this point.

ScottyZ
  • Well, he only has 2500 after his flop bet, so i decided there is no way he has KK, 44 or KQ here and put him all in. I was afraid he has QQ but if he did i was willing to see them.
    Иной: raises 2500 to 3700
    TML77: calls 2485 and is all-in
    *** TURN *** [Qh Kc 4c]
    *** RIVER *** [Qh Kc 4c Td] [9s]
    *** SHOW DOWN ***
    TML77: shows [Jc Jh] (a straight, Nine to King)
    Иной: shows [Ad Ac] (a pair of Aces)
    TML77 collected 13195 from pot
    Иной said, "nice one"
    *** SUMMARY ***
    Total pot 13195 | Rake 0
    Board [Qh Kc 4c Td 9s]
    Seat 1: DiMSuMIWoN folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 2: NorCalRed (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 3: LoOm (small blind) folded before Flop
    Seat 4: CINHAT (big blind) folded before Flop
    Seat 5: Dolefin folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 6: olgolbug folded before Flop
    Seat 7: TML77 showed [Jc Jh] and won (13195) with a straight, Nine to King
    Seat 8: jbbasser folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 9: Иной showed [Ad Ac] and lost with a pair of Aces

I was pissed! Put the cards into calculator and it spit out 90% for me on flop =((((

Ironically very next hand i pick up [Ah Kc] and TML77 raises 3xBB in front of me. I raise all in for 5.9k and get another player all in behind me, and TML77 calls with QQ. Board [2s Qs 3c Ts Th] (the other guy had AT diamonds). Gona play some CS now :rage:
  • i would have gone all in preflop, when you are a favorite (you have the nuts). I'm still hatching out of NL from limit so I don't know how good my advice is. If anybody has any other suggestiong I'd like to read them and learn a bit more about trouble situations liket this one. you probably had more than 90% preflop (???????) You also did the right thing on the flop, putting him all in, a BD straight is around 4.5% i think.

Nice hand, nice work, that's poker!