RAYMER ALERT RAYMER ALERT

the big man is again rolling in the main event.  heading into day 3 tomorrow he is currently 9th in chips with 566 players remaining.  other notables include.........lee watkinson, currently 6th and "The Grinder" Michael Mizrachi (14th), all 3 players have been near the top of the chip counts during both days 1 and 2 and seem to be playing really well.  also, olga varkonyi wife of the always hard-to-find-these days robert (2002 champion) is sitting in 43rd position and is the highest ranking female.  she was actually top 5 at one point yesterday.  should be an interesting couple of days ahead...also BOB JARRETT remains in the hunt in 452nd place, top 560 money, so things are looking up despite monsieur scharf's premature exit yesterday.

Comments

• he's still rolling, around 2nd in chips with 700 000 around 280 left. crazy man, if he even makes the final table, that's a legendary accomplishment.
  • raymer takes the lead into day 4 today, rod pardey has also remained consistently near the top for the last couple days and remains in the number 2 position. ivey, lederer, russ hamilton, and others still alive inside the top 200 players
  • Wow, you gotta be good to be lucky I think. I would have never expected him to be up there again this year, a hand from today that demestrate his luck holding up.

[edit] originally I had two then realized they were the same hand just two different reports. I guess thats what happens when your just skimming them :)

Date / Time: 2005-07-12 12:33:00
    Title: Raymer Busts Another
    Log: Daniel Shak raises to $20,000 preflop. Greg Raymer reraises him another $25,000, and Shak reraises another $50,000. Raymer calls. The flop comes 9c-8c-6c, and Shak pushes all-in for another $200,000 and Raymer calls. Raymer shows Ac-10s, while Shak shows K-K. The turn is another club, making a nut flush for Raymer, and the river is a heart, eliminating Shak and adding another $300,000 to our chip leader's stack.
  • Seems to be about twice as lucky as you might expect.

ScottyZ
  • Date / Time: 2005-07-12 12:33:00
    Log: Daniel Shak raises to $20,000 preflop. Greg Raymer reraises him another $25,000, and Shak reraises another $50,000. Raymer calls. The flop comes 9c-8c-6c, and Shak pushes all-in for another $200,000 and Raymer calls. Raymer shows Ac-10s, while Shak shows K-K. The turn is another club, making a nut flush for Raymer, and the river is a heart, eliminating Shak and adding another $300,000 to our chip leader's stack.

Wasn't that lucky. I'd like to argue that he was the favorite in this hand.

If he's looking at the flop he has a bunch of outs; any club(9), any other 7 (3) and probably assumes any Ace (3) and possibly the non-club 10(2) [though a ten could very well be a false out as his opponent may have an over pair, or a 7 in his hand, so we'll count it as one out]

That gives him ~16 outs, making him the favorite in the hand. His actually outs were 15 which still just over 50% I think. The only time he's behind in this hand is if his opponent holds AA or a made straight.

I'd lay good money that Raymer's making the final table. He knows how to play a big stack and doesn't have the financial pressure to win it that some of the other player's will feel.
  • [edit] originally I had two then realized they were the same hand just two different reports. I guess thats what happens when your just skimming them

Well, that certainly makes my joke make no sense now. :)

ScottyZ
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    [edit] originally I had two then realized they were the same hand just two different reports. I guess thats what happens when your just skimming them

Well, that certainly makes my joke make no sense now. :)

ScottyZ

Ah, well you can poke some fun at my receeding hairline I don't mind being the focal point of a good laugh. :)
  • Zithal wrote:
    Date / Time: 2005-07-12 12:33:00

Wasn't that lucky. I'd like to argue that he was the favorite in this hand.

If he's looking at the flop he has a bunch of outs; any club(9), any other 7 (3) and probably assumes any Ace (3) and possibly the non-club 10(2) [though a ten could very well be a false out as his opponent may have an over pair, or a 7 in his hand, so we'll count it as one out]

That gives him ~16 outs, making him the favorite in the hand. His actually outs were 15 which still just over 50% I think. The only time he's behind in this hand is if his opponent holds AA or a made straight.

I'd lay good money that Raymer's making the final table. He knows how to play a big stack and doesn't have the financial pressure to win it that some of the other player's will feel.

Ya for sure he had tons of outs, I guess what I was trying to say is he seems to be lucky and hits whenever he needs to.
  • I read that raymer played in the main event twice before, before he won last year and supposedly has been playing poker for a while...basically just staying under the radar, and that people shouldnt be surprised for another money finish....

I just noticed that Layne flack and sam farha are gone...the bignames stickin out for me are howard lederer and phil ivey who I think is real hungry for this
  • Lederer just busted..

I really liked Raymer after seeing his commentary with the 2004 WSOP coverage, VERY classy guy. If you haven't seen it you should check it out. Even after Josh Arieh said "bust this f___ing guy" to Williams Raymer stuck up for him on TV and said that Josh was a stand up guy, talk about class.

stp
  • Zithal wrote:
    Date / Time:   2005-07-12 12:33:00
    That gives him ~16 outs, making him the favorite in the hand.  His actually outs were 15 which still just over 50% I think.  The only time he's behind in this hand is if his opponent holds AA or a made straight.

Closer to 60%
  • Date / Time: 2005-07-12 17:25:00
    Title: Raymer Cannot Be Stopped
    Log:

Gen Wattanabe goes all-in for his last . Greg mentions that he knows he's behind, but decides to call. Wattanabe shows J-J with one spade. Raymer turns over 8-6 - no spades. The flop comes 7s-3s-2s. Raymer has no pair, and no solid draw, while Wattanabe still has an overpair and a flush draw. The turn is a non-spade 5, giving Raymer an open ended straight draw, but he's still behind. The river brings a non-spade 9. Raymer hits his runner-runner straight, busts Wattanabe, and is now sitting atop a stack of $1,600,000.
  • I really liked Raymer after seeing his commentary with the 2004 WSOP coverage, VERY classy guy. If you haven't seen it you should check it out. Even after Josh Arieh said "bust this f___ing guy" to Williams Raymer stuck up for him on TV and said that Josh was a stand up guy, talk about class.

Well said.

He certainly handled himself well on that and several other occasions when his WSOP opponents were behaving like they belonged more in kindergarten than at a poker table with Raymer and other adults.

I also enjoyed the "Raymer commentary" WSOP 2005 episode.

Okay, now that Dave's out, and Lederer is out... Go FossilMan!!!!!!!!!

ScottyZ