Poker rookie causes aneurysm! hehe

I'm a very-low-limit player (max .50/1.00 limit, $10 SnG's & MTTs), still reading books, still learning pot odds, etc…soooooo much to learn yet.  I'm sorta-good enough to not be a losing player and stay 'plus' above my invested money and earned bonuses, but not a huge 'plus' - I'm just having fun for now.  So, that disclaimer aside…did I in any way misplay this hand?  Buddy was pretty upset.  I'm mostly posting this 'cuz I think it's funny, but if I misplayed the hand, I could use the edumication...

Very early in a 850+ player $5 + $1 No Limit Texas Hold'em no rebuys  MTT on Paradise, not even once around the board yet, blinds 10/20, start with 1,500
(Online poker screen names have been changed to protect the innocent & the inebriated…I'm in Seat 4)

Seat 7 the button: Unhappy High-Strung Over-Caffeinated Dude: 1,390 in chips, was dealt [ Td Ts ]
Seats 8, 9, 10, 1, 2, 3:  between 1,200 and 1,960 in chips
Seat 4: Checkie McLimpennfoulde (me) 1,400 in chips: Dealt [ Kh, Jh ]
Seat 5: 2,690 in chips, Seat 6: 590 in chips
Seat 8: Post Small Blind (10), Seat 9 : Post Big Blind (20)
Seat 10 : Call (20), Seat 1 & 2: Fold , Seat 3: Call (20)
Checkie McLimpennfoulde: Raise (80)
Seat 4: Fold , Seat 6: Call (80)
Unhappy High-Strung Over-Caffeinated Dude: Call (80)
Seat 8 & 9: Fold , Seat 10  Call (60), Seat 3: Fold
*** FLOP *** : [ Tc Qs 2s ]
Seat 10 : Check
Checkie McLimpennfoulde: Bet (100)
<semi-bluff open-ended draw for the nut straight, right?>
Seat 6 : Fold
Unhappy High-Strung Over-Caffeinated Dude: Call (100)
<he should have raised here right?>
Seat 10 : Fold
*** TURN *** : [ Tc Qs 2s ] [ 9h ]
Checkie McLimpennfoulde: Bet (200)
Unhappy High-Strung Over-Caffeinated Dude: Raise (700)
Checkie McLimpennfoulde: Raise (1,020)
Unhappy High-Strung Over-Caffeinated Dude: Call All-in (510)
*** RIVER *** : [ Tc Qs 2s 9h ] [ 4h ]
*** SUMMARY ***
Pot: 2,990 | Board: [ Tc Qs 2s 9h 4h ]
Checkie McLimpennfoulde bet 1,400, collected 3,000, net +1,600 (showed hand) [ Kh Jh ] (a straight, nine to king)
Unhappy High-Strung Over-Caffeinated Dude: lost 1,390 (showed hand) [ Td Ts ] (three of a kind, tens)

Chat is now re-enabled
Checkie McLimpennfoulde shows a straight, nine to king
Unhappy High-Strung Over-Caffeinated Dude: shows three of a kind, tens
Checkie McLimpennfoulde wins (2,990) with a straight, nine to king
Unhappy High-Strung Over-Caffeinated Dude: finished in 809th place
Unhappy High-Strung Over-Caffeinated Dude: are you kiddin\
Unhappy High-Strung Over-Caffeinated Dude: : n=
Unhappy High-Strung Over-Caffeinated Dude: thats bulls***
Unhappy High-Strung Over-Caffeinated Dude: ass   holw
Checkie McLimpennfoulde: online poker is rigged
<OK, maybe I shouldn't have said anything>
Unhappy High-Strung Over-Caffeinated Dude:  \your an ass
Unhappy High-Strung Over-Caffeinated Dude: rigged
Unhappy High-Strung Over-Caffeinated Dude: ive never been thi9s pissed

(Incidentally, I finished 135th…I was 8th out of 170 standing at one point but my AJs and AQo lost out to pocket 10's and pocket Kings <sigh>)

So, should I be chuckling, or reviewing my play?

Comments

• Villian should be pissed, he made his hand on the flop, gave away a free card and busted out because of it.. Of course, the mirror should be the one undergoing the barrage..

Well played.

One question: What do you do if he reraises all-in on the flop ?
    I was 8th out of 170 standing at one point but my AJs and AQo lost out to pocket 10's and pocket Kings <sigh>)

So, should I be chuckling, or reviewing my play?

Learn WHEN you want to take coin flips and against which opponents.. Generally, never flip the coin against a player of the same stack unless you are being consumed by the blinds..
  • Ya I don't really find anything wrong with your play. If you were trying to buy the pot on the flop, you're bet was too small, if not you played it right. All I see is that this guy slow played his set and you burned him. Good job says I.
  • Well played.
    Cool, and thanks!  <sighs relieved>
    And thanks zero - my thought was a semi-bluff, hoping to either buy the pot or get one call-station caller & see the turn semi-cheap.  It worked out a lot better than I anticipated.
    One question: What do you do if he reraises all-in on the flop ?
    Oh I would have folded in a heart-beat...waaaay to early to bust out on a draw, even a pretty decent draw (right?). Blinds are still super low.
    Learn WHEN you want to take coin flips and against which opponents.. Generally, never flip the coin against a player of the same stack unless you are being consumed by the blinds..
    Good advice, and thanks - I'll take that to heart.  I enjoy the cheap MTTs, but have soooo much to learn about the ebb and flow of them.  There always seems to be one point near the end where I 'jake out', once in a while it pays off (lucky bastard), the rest of the times I sign off to play Splinter Cell.
  • BBC Z wrote:
    Villian should be pissed, he made his hand on the flop, gave away a free card and busted out because of it

Completely agree. Take a look at that flop. Not only is there a straight possibility, but there are two clubs on board. The tens either need to raise enough to give draws a bad price to call, or if they're going to risk slow playing, need to be ready to give up the hand or slow down if a scare card hits.

Villian was married to his trips and was probably more pissed off at his own stupidity than your play (I've been there many times myself!)
  • melikebeer wrote:
    And thanks zero - my thought was a semi-bluff, hoping to either buy the pot or get one call-station caller & see the turn semi-cheap. It worked out a lot better than I anticipated.

In case you didn't know, if you want to buy a pot you generally have to make a pot sized bet, or close to it.
  • Oh I would have folded in a heart-beat...waaaay to early to bust out on a draw, even a pretty decent draw (right?). Blinds are still super low.

+1 Good answer. Seems like yer on the good road for success..