A NLHE Toureny Hand

Multi-part hand here:

It’s early in a Multi-Table NLHE tourney and your table is full of soft competition. You have been able to take down a couple of nice pots with some straight forward play...again it’s early and you don’t have great reads on most of the table as of yet but have seen some very terrible play to this point with no worries of any threats at the table.

The Hand:

MP limps as does the button while the SB folds to you in the BB with both limpers covered by approximately T$750 and blinds are currently $25 / $50. You don’t have a great read MP or Button but both have shown some play to win/lose pots. You have A5o. Does anyone raise here?

Assuming you check:

Flop comes: A66 rainbow...

Being first to act I’m a little conflicted here Check or Bet? What’s your play?

I bet the pot to see if I can get closer to putting my opponents on hands...both smooth call...and I’m ready to abort my hand thinking I’m in big trouble unless some sort of miracle hits the turn.

Assuming you bet the pot (as I did):

The Turn: Ace matching one of the suits on the flop.

Obviously my gin card. I check to hopefully bring a trip 6'er in for the ride...MP bets $150 and the button smooth calls. I am now a little confused thinking that all three of us must have an Ace....what do you do here?

I pause and think about the possibilities of one of my opponents having a six here and playing for all their chips. So I decide to see if the player with the trip sixes will over commit and I reraise to the size of the pot (Pot now at $1,800 including my reraise)...Does anyone do anything different here?

Assuming you Reraised as I did:

MP now reraises you the minimum. I’m thinking obviously they have an ace...but then the button smooth calls again! Now both your opponents are left with relatively small stacks...what do you do call, fold (not likely), or reraise all-in?

I pushed thinking there is a chance that one my opponents is stuck with a six and at worst we are in a three way split.

What do you think?

End result is probably pretty obvious...both opponents call the all-in bet and I split a sidepot with MP and the button rakes in the majority of the chips with Quad sixes.

I may be spending too much time on this hand based on the results but I’m curious to know if anyone here can save any chips through this hand?

Comments

• sweetjimmi wrote:
    Multi-part hand here:

It’s early in a Multi-Table NLHE tourney and your table is full of soft competition. You have been able to take down a couple of nice pots with some straight forward play...again it’s early and you don’t have great reads on most of the table as of yet but have seen some very terrible play to this point with no worries of any threats at the table.

The Hand:

MP limps as does the button while the SB folds to you in the BB with both limpers covered by approximately T$750 and blinds are currently $25 / $50. You don’t have a great read MP or Button but both have shown some play to win/lose pots. You have A5o. Does anyone raise here?

I wouldn't raise. A raise here would be a steal attempt, and I wouldn't expect to be able to steal from "soft competition" in the early stages of a tournament.
    Assuming you check:

Flop comes: A66 rainbow...

Being first to act I’m a little conflicted here Check or Bet? What’s your play?

I'd bet $100. There is a decent chance that you currently have the best hand. Checking here might induce someone with no hand at all to make a play at the pot. I wouldn't like it if someone called my bet (or raised).
    I bet the pot to see if I can get closer to putting my opponents on hands...both smooth call...and I’m ready to abort my hand thinking I’m in big trouble unless some sort of miracle hits the turn.

Assuming you bet the pot (as I did):

The Turn: Ace matching one of the suits on the flop.

At this point, I would assume I have the best hand. The pot is now ~$500. I'd actually go ahead and bet out something like $400-$500. Being the flop bettor, it would look very suspicious for you to check the turn. You are more likely to get paid off by a 6 if you don't get the ALAAAAAARM bells going off in that opponent's head.
    Obviously my gin card. I check to hopefully bring a trip 6'er in for the ride...MP bets $150 and the button smooth calls. I am now a little confused thinking that all three of us must have an Ace....what do you do here?

I pause and think about the possibilities of one of my opponents having a six here and playing for all their chips. So I decide to see if the player with the trip sixes will over commit and I reraise to the size of the pot (Pot now at $1,800 including my reraise)...Does anyone do anything different here?

I would raise the minimum to $300. I am now assuming that one opponent has an Ace and the other a 6. (A pocket pair above 6's is a remote possibility, but not really one worth thinking about IMO.) The goal of the min-raise is simply to re-open the action to the other Ace while dragging the 6 along for the ride.
    Assuming you Reraised as I did:

MP now reraises you the minimum. I’m thinking obviously they have an ace...but then the button smooth calls again! Now both your opponents are left with relatively small stacks...what do you do call, fold (not likely), or reraise all-in?

I would go ahead and put in another raise. This time, I'd go raise a good amount rather than the minimum. Probably (though I'm not sure what the exact stack sizes are) all-in. At this point, you've got to start considering that a player with 6's full will eventaully clue in if you keep going back and forth with a huge number of raises.
    I pushed thinking there is a chance that one my opponents is stuck with a six and at worst we are in a three way split.

What do you think?

Well, a 3-way split pot is actually impossible at this point. :cool:
    End result is probably pretty obvious...both opponents call the all-in bet and I split a sidepot with MP and the button rakes in the majority of the chips with Quad sixes.

Pretty obvious?!? That is about the last result in the world that I'd expect. The outcome of 2 Aces and one (single) 6 is far more likely, and I would play (the turn) as if that was the case.
    I may be spending too much time on this hand based on the results but I’m curious to know if anyone here can save any chips through this hand?

Save chips? I'd be ecstatic to get all of my chips in on the turn with top full house and 3-way action.

ScottyZ
  • The overtones were definitely sarcastic...damn type...never shows true expression.