Omaha 8 is a funny game.

Was look for a low buy-in tournament on Stars last night and found it in the form of a $2+$0 Limit O8. 562 players started and I ended up 32nd for a mamoth prize of $5 and change. Woohoo!!!

With 35 players left, I have $20,000 which is just under the average stack, limits are 2,000-4,000. I pick up a hand with two Aces and decide to play against the $70,000 chip leader at our table who raises every hand. The flop comes 887, and I turn a straight and river a flush! Sadly, the agressive chip leader just happened to pick up 77xx and I was down to just over $4,000.

Two hands later I pick up a near-MONSTER of a hand.. AAQ2, double-suited in hearts and diamond!! I push the rest of my chips in and watch as the rest of the actions unfolds..

Flop: All hearts!!! I now have the nut flush and two low cards give me the nut low draw.

Turn: The low is made!!! I now have the nut hi hand AND the nut low hand!!! I'm doing cartwheels with dreams of a new rebirth and a trip to the final table in my mind.

The river pairs the Board, giving one player a full house AND he also has A2 which means I lose the hi and split the low.... ARGH!!!!

My pot: $4,000 and I'm right back to where I started. I died shortly thereafter.

A fun game, but man can it kick you in the nuts sometimes. :)

Comments

• Congrats!! Didn't you know Pokerstars is rigged!! (Dr Evil laugh in the background)
  • Zithal wrote:
    A fun game, but man can it kick you in the nuts sometimes. :)
    I thought you were talking about Razz when I read that :D
  • I love omaha 8

I've been playing the 1-2 limit, 2-4 limit and .50/1.00 PL on stars and having a blast.

I also played the 20+2 limit tourney last night and finished 11th (loweset cash bracket)...still have tons of leaks in my game and I think i missed a lot of opportunities to build chips. I find the blinds get so high that you basically have to decide whether you want to play a hand on the flop or not and once you decide to play, you can't get away from it because the blinds are so high even if the turn kills your hand.
  • I think it was Lederer's recent article and your posts that will propel me into this game.  The Professor suggests to try some other games to prevent burnout or boredom if you have a steady diet of hold'em.  I'm sure I can pull up the quote in my gmail if you really want to know it.

I tried some Razz for free at one site and that was "fun".  I use quotes because again, of a story Lederer told, last year during a WSOP interview.  He saw some older guys with very dour faces playing a card game.  It was Razz and he must have been curious why they were so miserable.  Even at the final table of the Razz event, it didn't seem like many people were enjoying it.

Omaha seems the way to go as long as it doesn't give me a headache.
    Thanks.
    Gord wrote:
    I love omaha 8

I've been playing the 1-2 limit, 2-4 limit and .50/1.00 PL on stars and having a blast.
  • Omaha h/l 8 is fun .......... love seeing that A2 suited!!  Kick in the head though when you realize you don't have the boat because you just remembered you can only use 2 cards. Oh, and getting dealt trips in your hole cards .......fun wow!
  • Oh yeah, speaking of trips in the hand, I got dealt one hand that, as the cards were coming when from good to great to awesome to shitty.

Card 1: Kc

Card 2: Ad

Card 3: Ah

Cards4: As

KAAA rainbow. Luckily I got to see the flop cheaply before I threw it away.