Help for this beginner

I have been reading the messages posted on this site and it is obvious that I have a lot to learn. I play almost daily on poker stars but confine my play to blinds less than $ 1, usually limit, and play $ 1 buy in sit and go. From my perspective I am looking to play a lot of hands and learn from the experience. However, and as I stated previously, the information I have been reading on this site convinces me I am not progressing. A lot of the information I understand but a lot also goes way over my head. Apart from Dave's book, which I plan on reading, does anyone have any top notch recommendations relating to tutorial info? I have also realized that I do not fully grasp the mathematical analysis that all top players appear to so easily decipher. Recommendations also welcome here. Realistically, I am not looking to play in the WSOP, but I thoroughly enjoy the game and am trying to take steps to improve. Tight play is OK, but I know that I have a lot of pots stolen from me due to my conservative play and I need to improve if I am going to get to the next level. The only book I have read so far is titled "The Complete Book of Hold 'Em Poker by Gary Carson.

Comments

• When I got back into poker last year, the first book I purchased was Poker....For Dummies

I thought it was great for the basics of ALL poker games, with lots of great tips.

JMHO

JohnnieH
  • I have to admit, I've been playing for awhile, we have regular home games, I play online like you, in the lower limits and sometimes in the B&M. I have always done OK, but wanted to improve.

Let me tell you, if you are interested in the limits games especially, go get Dave's book. I did, and it really opened my eyes to alot of things. The mathematics is really easy after using his suggestions, and it really helps to understand some of the fundamentals and the people you are playing against. I paid $25 at Mcnally Robinson in Saskatoon for the book, and it is honestly one of the best investments I have ever made. I am not looking to become a pro, actually, I cannot get to the B&M very often, but the book and this forum will help beyond my imagination.
  • I think Dave's "Winning at Poker" and "Winning at Low Limit Holdem" by Lee Jones would be the best two books to read for someone who is just starting out.

Though possibly a more difficult read, I think it also may be worth taking a shot at going through "Theory of Poker" by Sklansky fairly early on in your "poker life".

ScottyZ
  • Hrm... maybe it's just me....

But I first read "Super System", and eventually "Super System 2". I found both to be great beacuse it stresses things that are absoloutely essential in poker (BE AGGRESSIVE). This doesn't mean loose, and it doesn't mean stupid with your money, but Doyle tells you how he plays, why he plays that way, and most importantly, when to give up a hand!! Most people's biggest problem isn't that they win enough money, but that they lose more than they should.

Mark
  • I like ScottyZ's suggestion about "Theory of Poker." You will read it and it will mystify you. But, there is NOTHING that I have ever encountered in poker that TOP does not help with. It is THE way to approach thinking about the game. And, ultimately, it is THE way that you will eventually study the game and get better.

Warning... it's BORING.

On a more basic leve, study one thing at a time. So, ONLY work on starting hands until you have that down. Then work on flop play, or reading players, or whatever.

I remember when I got Caro's Book of Tells early in my career. I spent many evening trying to see tells in the regulars. I saw almost none. Now, several years later, I see A LOT of tells. A LOT. Tons. I marvel at how much information players are giving away. But, it was a long road.

• On a more basic leve, study one thing at a time. So, ONLY work on starting hands until you have that down. Then work on flop play, or reading players, or whatever.

I'm glad you said that ..... lately I've been feeling a little overwhelmed with information-overload. I was trying to concentrate on too many aspects all at once so consequently they were probably all suffering.

To the OP ....... I know exactly what you're going through. I think we're in the same place right now. And ditto about Lee Jones' book ....... it was amazing..... you really need to read it.