Brantford's poker room now uses Kem cards

which is sweet.

ScottyZ

Comments

• Sweet! I didn't realize Brantford was in such close proximity to Ottawa... :)
  • I thought KEM was out of business or bought out by another company? Are KEM cards now available again?
  • Yep, they are available. They were bought out by "The American Playing Card Company" and they were unavailable during the switchover to the new owners, but they are now in production again.
  • Are those the really nice plastic cards? If so, where can i get them?
  • It's worth noting that the new cards in Brantford are not going over well with the majority of players. They tend to stick together causing fun occurences like four card flops.

Personally, I find them thin and awkward, more like Bridge cards. They do snap back cleanly though.
  • Stick together? Kems are super slippery.
  • Strange.  Perhaps it's like that time a buddy of mine (who was a recruiter) tried to sell a prospect over the phone to an employer by saying really quickly...'He's a fantastic candidate with lots of experience, for example he's worked for IBN.'

Look closely at the package next time they switch decks, it might say KEN.
  • The dealers are in fact having a difficult time with the cards. I believe the problem lies with the high level of humidity in the poker room. I sat for 4hrs today and developed a nice pool of ball sweat in my underoos. They need to look at their a/c and if need be acquire a powerful de-humidifier.
  • Nooner81 wrote:
    The dealers are in fact having a difficult time with the cards.  I believe the problem lies with the high level of humidity in the poker room.  I sat for 4hrs today and developed a nice pool of ball sweat in my underoos.  They need to look at their a/c and if need be acquire a powerful de-humidifier.
    I haven't been to brantford in a while, but when I used to be there it was COLD... all the time ...
  • PSI...yes the a/c is on and the room is cool. I am talking about the high level of moisture in the poker room not the temperature. Although it was cool in the room on Monday my hands were
    clammy.
    Clammy skin....Holy makinaw! Maybe I had a minor cardiac arrest. Now I know why that damned newfie tried to give me the hindlick maneuver over by the slot machines.
  • KEM cards are terrific, but do require a bit of maintenance ... a regular wipe with a damp cloth follwed by a wipe with a dry cloth will keep the cards from sticking. Using a KEM Card Washer is the perfect solution, but expensive both from the cost of the machine and manpower to actually wash the cards. I hope they are not using any kind of powder on the cards, this is guaranteed to cause cards to stick together. KEM makes both bridge size and poker size cards, the poker size cards seem to be best imho.

We are investigating changing over to KEM cards at the GBH.

Cheers

Lee
  • That is some awesome news Lee :D

Pokerkid
  • It has been roumored that the quality of the KEM cards has dropped. I happen to have two full setups and one of the decks was dropped off the table by accident and the corners on two cards chipped off. I still have yet to replace these cards. I would not be surprised if the cards in question are of lower quality then they used to be.
  • disciple wrote:
    It has been roumored that the quality of the KEM cards has dropped.  I happen to have two full setups and one of the decks was dropped off the table by accident and the corners on two cards chipped off.  I still have yet to replace these cards.  I would not be surprised if the cards in question are of lower quality then they used to be.

They may be a lower quality, but are better than what they had before at BCC, at least, imho.

macbb
  • Played with the cards yesterday, they are in fact 'KEM'
    The dealers were having some issues dealing as the cards were sticking together more then their old cards.
    The cards themselves once in your hand are very nice cards, though I noticed already some small creases in some of the cards from players plusing them to their limits.

All in all, the change is ... ok at best.