overcards

Was playing low limit no foldem holdem 50C-$1...had AQh in middle...early position raised...I reraised...three people saw the flop which was 9h Jc 2s...there was a bet from the initial raiser...I called and the three of us saw the turn which was 7h...he bet and I again called as did the button to get Jh on the river...the initial raiser checked and I bet...both people folded I won the pot...

My questions are was I right on calling with two overcards and a backdoor flush draw with only two other players...pot odds were 5:1 going into the river...secondly, should have I bet when I had the draw after the turn with someone who had allready raised preflop? Didn't really know anything about the players or the game because I had just begun...thanks for any help

Comments

• Overcards are all dependant on the type of players you are playing against.

As for this hand against an unknown player, I like it. I'd put the EP bettor on a pair since he lead out after only calling preflop... You've got 6 outs for overs combines with the 1.5 for your BDFD.. 7.5 outs.. but the pot is a monster 10:1 when it's your turn to act.. so yer covered.. Call that baby.

This is actually one of the reasons you want to re-raise preflop with AQs.. You are likely to flop two overcards and a backdoor flush draw, so getting that money into the pot early lets you draw the turn practically automatically..

When the turn brings the flush draw, not raising is good because you don't want to call a 3-bet on your 5 to 1 shot at completing the flush..
  • Generally, overcards are overrated.

In this case, you have 10-1 and two overcards plus a back door flush draw. Probably a good call.

On of the BIG dangers of overcards is in assuming that your overcards are good. In particular, low limit players LOVE to play A-x suited or not. In this spot QJ looks possible too, etc. So, with 10-1 I think you are OK to carry on. But, don't get into the habit of auto calling with two overcards, or assuming that all six of your overcard outs are live just to justify calling.

New players often announce (in their heads, of course), "I have the odds to call." Often this is simply an excuse to call because that is what they want to do.