Smart or Scared?

First, a big thank-you to Zithal for hosting a great tournament. It was a blast.

My question relates to a side-game after the main tourney. 8 players, payout is $60/$20. With 7 players left, one guy starts an all in-fest (some of you will remember this ;) ). As things unfold, he continually sucks out on superior (and I mean VASTLY superior) hands. I basically curled up under a rock and watched everyone drop for about an hour and a half. I was seeing players lose when he sucked out on the river with garbage, so I was folding good hands I would normally play (A-Q suited, 9-10 suited, pocket 66's, etc.) simply because he was constantly drawing out.

Using this strategy, I was able to make it heads-up so I was in the money. At this point, I was significantly short-stacked (300 chips to his 7700), so I had virtually no chance of winning. With my stack, I would need to win 4 hands in a row, just to draw even.

Question - Was I being far too conservative, waiting things out? Normally I'd be satisfied with finishing in the money, but I'm wondering if I should have gambled more (or, not even gambling, simply played normal, smart poker).

To any who care, I actually won 3-in a row to get up to around $2000 in chips, when my 9-9 lost to his Q-2 unsuited on a river-Q.

Comments

• Hmmm... You were probably being too conservative. It is like beating a dead horse to say "Avoid small edges in favour of large ones later on." But, once you get down to the short strokes you probably should take every edge that is offered to you.

The pay structure will have a lot to do with optimal play. If folding takes you out of rael contetntion to make the big money, they don't fold. Locking up a small win but giving up any hope of a big win is not a good idea.
  • Winning at poker requires skill and the occasional bit of luck. Just because someone got lucky on one hand does not mean they'll get lucky on the next one. Not playing a big hand because you fear someone is going to get lucky is worse than playing a bad hand because you feel lucky. God knows I've played against guys like this and it does seem amazing.

I think the best way to combat these guys is to put in a big raise against them. Make them pay to get lucky against your good hands. You may bust out occasionally but it is better to get your chips in the middle with a good hand while you still have enough chips to do some damage.
  • Grrr - that's what I thought. Thanks for the replies. After leaving, I immediately just felt "wrong" about the play. However, his streak of luck really was impressive as he sucked out with garbage about a dozen times consecutively.

I'm still learning, so I guess I'll just chalk this up as a "learning experience". :)