Poker Strategy for MTT: Stealing Blinds and Defending

How do you play your blinds.

For Small Blinds, I usually fold it without confrontation if it isn't a hand I would normally play.

Big Blind, how do you defend a raise from a button or near button raiser. Do you reraise them back and call or fold to them (if you have a weak hand).

If you're UTG on the button, how do you put a steal on the blinds, do you raise and if the reraise fold it? How do you study the blinds to know your opponent.

Someone please help me as this is some of the key info I need to improve my tourney play.

Comments

• As with most questions unforunately, the answer is "it depends"

Is the raiser a solid player, a loose player, etc, etc. Have there been any calls (how many people are in the hand)

If you are holding a weak hand, forget your blind and muck your cards
  • Well, for blind steals, i would be near the button and I would be UTG (no one else has called).

for ppl making Blind steals, it would have to be no callers before the raise and he/she would be near the button or on it.
  • First of all, UTG stands for "under the gun" which means you're the seat immediately to the left of the big blind.

If you're describing the fact that everyone has folded to you, I'd say that it was either "folded to you", you're "first in", or you're "opening".

As for defending the blinds, this is very much a "it depends" question.

And as with all questions, we need to know the basics.

What are you playing? A cash game? Tournament? Limit? No-limit? If it's no-limit, the size of the raise matters.

Unfortunately, both when to steal, and when to defend the blinds from what looks like a steal take quite a bit of "feel". Getting a read on the player styles of the relevant opponent(s) *really* helps. For this reason (but from the opposite viewpoint), it also really helps to mix up your own play on both counts.

ScottyZ
  • yeah, i guess i mixed up the terms.
    I guess I should say first to open instead of UTG.

Also, these are NL Multi Table Tournaments.
  • tell you what I see a lot,

Guys raise the blinds (or limpers) hoping to steal maybe, or maybe they have a decent hand....who knows....

BUT, what I see a lot is that they play very agressive pre-flop...miss their flop completely and back right down. If you are still in the game here now is your chance to defend your blind. But after this point be very careful on how you play it.... a lot of bad things can happen.
  • How much do you think would be a reasonable raise to open from on the button to steal the blinds.

In tourney books, do they talk about this concept?
  • How much do you think would be a reasonable raise to open from on the button to steal the blinds.

I like to raise to about 3 or 4 big blinds in most cases.

Betting as if it was pot limit is normally a good general guideline.

ScottyZ
  • Doyle brunson refers to a "reasonable bet" as being the pot limit. In initial rounds I can agree with that but when the blinds increase or you are up against 5-6 callers the pot can be a decent size. Besides this is a player read situation. If it was a very loose player in the BB then why try to steal he may just come over top and then you are in one heck of a jam. If it's a mouse who will barely raise the nuts then you can get away with things much easier.

I nearly never raise the blinds at a full table. Short handed I may raise/steal the blinds but only with very good hand potential. I don't try to steal with a 7-2 off. Even if I think he won't call it's not worth it to me.