Dave, how to play AQ sooted in this scenerio?

Final Table NLHE MTT
blinds $600/$1200 ante $100

*** ANTE [dealer 2] ***
Seat 4 -  $5440 in chips
Seat 6 -  $15356.66 in chips
Seat 7 - HERO  $17640 in chips [ 3rd in chip lead...just slightly ]
Seat 8 -  $2570 in chips
Seat 9 - $28125 in chips
Seat 1 -  $42535 in chips
Seat 2 - $4183.34 in chips

Seat 1 - Ante $100
Seat 2 - Ante $100
Seat 4- Ante $100
Seat 6 - Ante $100
Seat 7 - Ante $100
Seat 8 - Ante $100
Seat 9 - Ante $100

Seat 4- Post small blind $600
Seat 6 - Post big blind $1200

HERO- Pocket [Ac,Qc]

what do you do in this case?

thx,
CO :D

Comments

• Early position with a decent hand. No pressure on your stack yet. You don't want to blow this one and take a big dent in your stack with others ready to bust out.

I'd raise to 3k. If the big stacks want to dance, you've got a tough decision but you can get away from the hand with minimal damage. (You'd have to decide the types of hands that particular player would play back at you with.) If one of the small stacks wants to mix it up, you're much likelier to be the favourite.
  • Final Table NLHE MTT
    blinds $600/$1200 ante $100

*** ANTE [dealer 2] ***
    Seat 4 - $5440 in chips
    Seat 6 - $15356.66 in chips
    Seat 7 - HERO $17640 in chips [ 3rd in chip lead...just slightly ]
    Seat 8 - $2570 in chips
    Seat 9 - $28125 in chips
    Seat 1 - $42535 in chips
    Seat 2 - $4183.34 in chips

One dominant stack, three middle stacks, including our hero, and three small stacks.
    Also, at 2500 per lap, the middle stacks aren't pressed.
    Seat 4- Post small blind $600
    Seat 6 - Post big blind $1200

HERO- Pocket [Ac,Qc]

what do you do in this case?

Our hero is UTG with AQs. This is the sort of hand that often comes up at this point in a tournament. I often think to myself, "This hand is too good to fold, but I sure hope that nobody calls me."

I make a standard raise. In my case I like a bet of about $3000. If the big stack or and middle stack move in, I fold. If any of the small stacks move in, I call.

There are lots of reasons to believe that none of the middle stacks will attempt a pure re-steal here. THere are three TINY stacks. After you have raised UTG it seems unlikely that one of the middle stacked players will move in on you since they have a lot to lose. Also, since you can expect to move up a couple of pay slots almost guaranteed, there is no urgent desire on your part to get into big confrontations.

But, if you are to win this tournament you will need to win ALL the chips. Laying down a hand as big as AQs UTG is too soft.
  • Wow, I am happy to say my first thought jives with Dave's and pkrfce. $3000 sounds like a good raise. The huge stack may try and make a go at you but I doubt it. They will probably be more comfortable sitting back for a bit. Your stack is a little too big to really push around for him (losing to you doesn't kill him but makes you some serious competition). The small blind is pot comitted if they call and will most likely go all in. You're hand probably has them beat, but $3000 is a great way to find out. My guess is that he/she folds to your bet. The BB is close to you. I could see a re-raise but not on a bluff. If they do go in, they may have you beat. I think I reluctantly fold here. Unless I have a really good feeling that they would think a lesser hand is worthy of an all in re-raise.
  • Wow, I am happy to say my first thought jives with Dave's and pkrfce.
    Just be aware, I'm pretty sure Dave copied off me. :D
  • I did. I just typed more words so it looked like I did some independent thinking. It worked for me in university too.
  • The analysis so far has been completely wrong IMHO.

I would have made it $3,001 to go.

ScottyZ
  • And you see, Scotty, that is where you make your mistake. Only bet just enough to get the job done. You are going way out on a limb. Besides, at this point, they would have chipped up!
  • 3500-4000 from me.
    You can't make it seem loose.

An extra 500-1000 could make the difference from the hugh stacks wanting to try to bluff you off this.
  • pkrfce9 wrote:
    And you see, Scotty, that is where you make your mistake. Only bet just enough to get the job done. You are going way out on a limb. Besides, at this point, they would have chipped up!

Now we're getting somewhere. I'm glad that someone picked up on the fact that there are probably no singles in play.

The point of betting the extra $1? To disrupt the game.

Insist that you need to bet that extra $1.1

Call the floor. Scream at the dealer. Pull an actual loonie out of your pocket and put it on the table. This dangerous (and potentially flammable) foreign object on the table will drive them nuts at Brantford. Demand to see the heads of the OLGC, and the AGCO. Bring in a detective from the Regional Municipality of Waterloo to resolve the situation. Ring your lawyer from a cell phone while on the gaming floor. Access PokerForum.ca with your Blackberry and "Ask Dave Scharf" whether Brantford not letting you bet the extra $1 constitutes running a common gaming house because you have earmarked the $1 for making a voluntary pizza and chair rental donation at tomorrow's home game.

Just keep yelling, over and over again, "It's NO limit! It's NO limit! Lou Diamond Phillips told me I could bet ANY amount!!!!".

I'm telling you baby. It's a +EV play.

ScottyZ

1I disagree that the extra $1 is not needed to "get the job done", but that's the topic for a good 1,583 other threads -> we'll simply hijack all the bad beat/site is rigged threads for this vital debate.
  • June 17, 2005 at 06:37:26 PM

The moment at which ScottyZ posted one two many footnotes and slipped over the edge.
  • June 17, 2005 at 06:37:26 PM

The moment at which ScottyZ posted one two many footnotes and slipped over the edge.

Sorry folks. I had half a beer with dinner.

ScottyZ
  • thx guys :c: