Would you go broke?

Playing on line, 950 players start, 150 remain. Blinds are 200/400 with a 50 ante. I have just better than average chips at 11500(roughly).

you are dealt KK in middle position.

There is a limper in early position. folded around to you. Normally I would only double the BB, but because there is one limper I raised it to 1200. The person behind me re-raised it to 2400. All fold including the limper in early position.

My though process is this, I would like to know how much this person likes his hand. I re-raise all in (overbet doh) and get called. He has AA and no cards helped me.

My question is this, we each had roughly the same amount of chips (he had 12K) would re-raising the player to half of my stack changed anything? Would everyone go broke here?

Has anyone here ever folded kings preflop, and what was the situation?

I know tournaments are sometimes about avoiding confrontations but with KK you are looking for a little.

Comments

• I would go broke here most likely. In a tourament with KK the only hand that's ahead of you is AA. I've seen way to many people come over the top with AK suited or QQ that I woulda raised all in. If he has the AA your a 4-1 dog but still have some outs and provided your kings don't match his A's theres always a flush possibility. Given that his stack was the same as yours I might have treaded carefully if I had a read on him. If he was a large stack I'd push given they try to bully in touraments and short stacked you have to try and put him out. I just find in large MTT's I seem to get moved from table to table so much it's difficult to get a read on anyone at the table.
  • I think I go broke either way.
    Might just call, see if all unders come, then push.
    AA will still call, but AK might not.
  • I go broke here too unless I have a better read on that player.

With your suggestion of reraising only half your stack might save you some if an A hits the flop it would slow you down, but if no A hits the flop you lose the rest or most of your stack post flop so the end result is the same.
  • Playing on line, 950 players start, 150 remain. Blinds are 200/400 with a 50 ante. I have just better than average chips at 11500(roughly).

you are dealt KK in middle position.

There is a limper in early position. folded around to you. Normally I would only double the BB, but because there is one limper I raised it to 1200. The person behind me re-raised it to 2400. All fold including the limper in early position.

My though process is this, I would like to know how much this person likes his hand. I re-raise all in (overbet doh) and get called. He has AA and no cards helped me.

My thinking, often, is slightly different in this position. What am I afraid of? A-A or an ace on the flop. So, call the raise and then bet at the flop no matter what happens. On the flop I have 9000-ish and the pot is 5500-ish. No matter what hits, bet 3,000. If an ace hits your bet looks like AK. If you get action, shut down. If you flop comes all three below your KK then bet 3000. If you get raised you can give some serious thought to what he has. If the flop is 8-7-2 I probably go bust since he MIGHT have TT JJ or QQ. If the flop is Q-J-5 and I get raised, then my KK is no good because he has QQ JJ or AA and I can escape.

Long story made short, try and plan an escape route. You may not take it, but try and leave the option open.
    My question is this, we each had roughly the same amount of chips (he had 12K) would re-raising the player to half of my stack changed anything? Would everyone go broke here?

Re-raising is tough because you are very close to pot committed. The flop will define your hand.
    Has anyone here ever folded kings preflop, and what was the situation?

I have folded KK to a raise and re-raise by the time it gets to me more than once. It took me a long time to be able to do that. And, on both occasions it was a bad fold. Heh.
  • I have heard (from another forum) that at the CPT Halifax this past weekend, on the very first hand out of the gate, 3 players were all in with AA, KK and QQ respectively.

Only a K hit the board, and the bullets and the ladies were given their parting gifts and a big thanks for the $300 contribution. Mr Cowboys had tripled up before he even got his jacket off.

AS Good WIll Hunting said, "how do you like THOSE apples?"