UB $5.50 MTT Tourney with 480 players

Anyone out there play these things?

I tried one on the weekend and came in 22nd.

Seemed like once we got down to final 3 tables it was just an ALL IN show...every hand.

Can anyone offer a strategy for this type of tourney?

Do you guys think these tourneys are uselsss since really only the top 4 make any real money?

Comments

• I play a lot of them. I usually make the money but only double up or so.

I finished 3rd once and picked up $350 for 4.5 hours of work.

I mainly like to play these because they give me a good chance to play a lot of hands for a fairly cheap rate.

My strategy is always play tight in the early going. You will find half of the field is gone by first break because they figure if they don't double up right away they won't get far. So sit back and pick 'em off. After that you can be a little more agggressive because a lot of the players left are just trying to get to the money so they will fold fairly easily.
  • If you play online as a means of income or play at higher stakes games then I suppose there's an argument that they could be a waste of time (unless you consistently finish in the money).

Being that for now, I only play at the micro limit tables and small buy in tourneys, I don't ever think they're a waste of time because I really enjoy tournament play. It's a good place to try out different styles, strategies, etc. Recently, I've played in a few of the $1 SNG at PS.....it's pretty easy to finish in the money. I'm not a great player by any means (but studying hard to try and become one) and even I know enough to know that alot of the players there are pretty clueless. I've made it to the money everytime and I actually placed first yesterday (my first tournament win). Well, it was only $14 but it felt great.
  • I'm curious what the rake would be on a $1 SNG. If it is more than 10%, I'd recommend moving up in stakes. Yes, there may be a bit more competition but not much, really.
  • pkrfce9 wrote:
    I'm curious what the rake would be on a $1 SNG. If it is more than 10%, I'd recommend moving up in stakes. Yes, there may be a bit more competition but not much, really.

Rake is .20.
  • I'll usually try to get into two of the $5.50 MMT's at (nearly) the same time...
    Then you're doubling your 3 or 4 hrs if you go deep.
    Just a thought.
  • pkrfce9 wrote:
    I'm curious what the rake would be on a $1 SNG. If it is more than 10%, I'd recommend moving up in stakes. Yes, there may be a bit more competition but not much, really.

Rake is .20.

The Pokerstars $1. + $.20 SnGs are really more like small MTTs - they take 45 players, top 7 get paid, and it often takes 90 minutes to 2 hours to complete. The $5 + $.50 SnGs have both a better deal on the rake, and fewer players so they don't take as long. IMHO, the $1 ones are really only good for practice, and maybe bonus clearing.