Two different situations with AKsooted.

These hands happened three weeks ago, so I might have some of the details wrong...

First situation:

Big multi-table tournament. We're down to about 50 players, everyone just made the money. You just won a huge pot with AA vs. KK, and now in the top 7 in chips. Everyone is playing pretty tight to move up in payouts. Blinds 1K/2K, ante 200. Your stack is 49K.

You're dealt AKsooted UTG and raise to 6K, all fold to the button who moves all-in for 32K in total. This person got moved to your table an orbit ago and this is the first hand he's played. Call or fold? Why?

Second situation:

SNG on PokerStars. Down to 4 players, 3 make the money. Blinds 100/200, ante 25. Your stack is 1,900.

You're in the BB with AKsooted. UTG moves all-in for 1,200, button re-raises to 2,400, SB folds. UTG is a pretty tight, solid player. Button has 60% of the chips in play and plays a straight-forward game. Call or fold? Why?

Comments

• Situation 1, I'd much rather get myself in a spot with a better hand for that many chips.
    Then again, I know I would likely call, then mutter something about "You're not taking away my chip lead from this table b!tc#"

Situation 2, FOLD!
    No questions.
  • As the blinds start getting more oppressive, I generally find myself becoming less and less averse to high variance plays.

In the first hand, I would call feeling pretty likely to be in a race situation and getting slightly better than 3 to 2 on my money.

Although your stack is one of the largest, the blinds are moving up at such a rate that you would be almost a short stack at the next level if you fold here (assuming the next blind level is 1,500-3,000... if the next blind level is actually 2K-4K the call here is much easier).

In the second hand, I would also call. The UTG player doesn't need to have much of a hand to be moving in with, and similarly, the big stack player does not need to have a monster either, but his hand is probably at least reasonable looking. I wouldn't be surprised if you were dominating at least one of the opponents here.

Don't get bogged down by the psychology of the re-raise. The raise & re-raise betting sequence does not indicate nearly as much strength as it generally would, since the initial raiser has raised all-in.

You look like you have plenty of pot equity in the main pot which would almost triple you up, and you only fail to finish in the money if the both UTG all-in player and the big stack end up with better hands than you.

ScottyZ
  • Big multi-table tournament. We're down to about 50 players, everyone just made the money. You just won a huge pot with AA vs. KK, and now in the top 7 in chips. Everyone is playing pretty tight to move up in payouts. Blinds 1K/2K, ante 200. Your stack is 49K.

Got lots and lots of chips. Don't want to get into unattractice confrontations.

You're dealt AKsooted UTG and raise to 6K, all fold to the button who moves all-in for 32K in total. This person got moved to your table an orbit ago and this is the first hand he's played. Call or fold? Why?
    You are facing a call of $26K into a pot of $43K. So, you are getting a little less than 2-1. The only hands you will be happy to play against are AQ and maybe AJ. More likely he has a pocket pair. It's a close call, to be sure. But, I favour folding since you are in good chip position.

You are probably a dog, you have enough chips to avoid the close ones. For now.
    SNG on PokerStars. Down to 4 players, 3 make the money. Blinds 100/200, ante 25. Your stack is 1,900.
    Short stacked, but not desperate.

You're in the BB with AKsooted. UTG moves all-in for 1,200, button re-raises to 2,400, SB folds. UTG is a pretty tight, solid player. Button has 60% of the chips in play and plays a straight-forward game. Call or fold? Why?

You are bring offered 1900 into 4000. Fold. It's close. But since you are one spot out of the money, with enough chips to make the money, I vote for locking up a win and THEN going to war.

What hands are they likely to have? The UTG player will have a broad range of hands. But, once the other player moves in then you KNOW he has a hand of some kind. After all, he has moved on a dry pot. He is not bluffing. Since (again with the exception of AQ or AJ) you are a dog to almost anything he can have you may as well fold.

This would probably be different if the chips were a lot deeper OR a lot shorter. Give the opening raiser a random hand and the late position raiser: any pair, any AK AQ or AJ and you have about 38% equity. You have the odds to call, but it's close.
  • Alright, here is the results:

Hand #1: This isn't my hand, but a hand I watch my friend play. He ended up calling and lost the coin flip against JJ. I discussed the hand at another board where we both post at, and everyone other than me were saying that it was an easy call. I was saying that it was a bad call given that that player was obviously a tight player and that gambling on a coin flip with that chip stack is not the right move. I also hate calling off a lot of chips with AKs, I'd rather be the one getting my money in there first. He ended up finishing in around 30-something, I think.

Hand #2: This was my hand. I folded based on the fact that I was clearly not ahead or both players and wanted to lock up a money placement before playing for all my chips. UTG ended up having 66, the button had AKs as well. The pair held up. I would've made a winning flush, but instead busted in fourth later on. Do you guys like the button's reraise with AKs?

Overall, I think some people overvalue AK(s) in tournaments without actually analyzing the situation first.
  • AK is my nemesis hand. I try and make sure that the first thing I think of is "I have a drawing hand" and play accordingly. It's a GREAT hand to semi-bluff with. It's not a great hand to call with.
  • Jay wrote:
    Alright, here is the results:

Do you guys like the button's reraise with AKs?

I think it's good. He probably wanted to take on the all-in by himself, so he was just trying to scare the blinds out of calling with something like 10-10 or AJ