Thanks to all.

Wow.  I have a lot of reading to do.  :) 

I just returned from Vegas, and I'm astounded at the amount of support you guys have been giving me on this forum.  Natalie and Dave told me there were some big threads, but... wow.  I can't wait to check it all out.

It'll have to wait until tomorrow night though.  I'm wiped, and I have to work tomorrow at 9 am. 

I just wanted to post something tonight, saying thanks.  The other three members of TCP are all extremely nice guys.  We had a great time, and their level of experience and support during the last couple of days was amazing.  We all get along very well with each other, at and away from the tables, so I look forward to the next TCP road trip, where hopefully I'll be able to cheer one of them on at a final table, too.

Dave and Natalie were reading comments from the forum to me throughout the tournament.  Knowing that I had this group of players rooting for me back home helped me through some tough, shortstacked, edge-of-tilt moments.  Thank you.

And those of you who kind of hate me a bit because I might just be the luckiest son of a bitch on earth can take comfort in the fact that I will look like a complete ass when it gets broadcast.  I didn't pick up any hands, got frustrated, let the whole overwhelming experience get to me, and I wasn't thinking clearly.  People will see my plays and think: this guy doesn't know what he's doing.

However, I played the best poker of my life to get that far.  And, I have 72K USD.  ;)

I wrote up a bunch of stuff on the plane today to post here.  I'll get to it tomorrow night, I think.  Until then, one more time, I'm very glad to be part of a forum like this, where people are genuinely excited for you when you win.  In a world that has its fair share of bitter poker players, this forum is truly a gem.

Thanks.

Comments

• Well done Devin. I am looking forward to meeting you in Regina at the end of July if you are gonna be there.
  • Well...here's the thing...you are totally helpful and supportive with your thoughts and posts to pretty much everyone on this forum, so it seems only natural that we would support you! Congratulations again...

Bill Webber
  • Well done Devin,

I was there through the whole marathon, sweating every hand. It sucks to get card dead at the final table but thats ..........

Great job though.

Rob.
  • Don't thank us, thank you (and Dave and Natalie and all of Team Canuck) for letting us all in on your
    final table experience.

Personally, its about as close as i'm ever going to get and I enjoyed going along for the ride all the way to 2:00 a.m.

"For those of you that might hate me a bit"...let us know who they might be...they'll get a chip in the eye.
  • IronDoc wrote:
    Well...here's the thing...you are totally helpful and supportive with your thoughts and posts to pretty much everyone on this forum, so it seems only natural that we would support you!  Congratulations again...

Bill Webber

IronDoc beat me to it, and I can't say it any better than he did.

Devin, you're always kind enough to chat with those of us, who often railbird your 30/60 games, or your tourneys.  I've said on more than one occasion that this forum has improved my game, in many ways.  But, it's also made some great virtual acquaintances, some of whom I've also been fortunate enough to meet and play a bit of poker with in person.

I'm very much looking forward to reading your thoughts on the past week.  But, until then, please rest up.  You deserve it!!   :D

macbb

P.S. Probably too early to ask this, but have you decided if you will make the trip back to Sin City in July??
  • As a few other people here have said, it was great and exciting to experience the final table at a WSOP event vicariously through you. I bet alot of us were experiencing the same adrenaline rushes that you must have been going through, albeit we didn't have the pressure that you did. It sure felt like I did though. :D

Following the updates and reading the forum had me on the edge of my seat, we were all behind you 100% and were quite proud that we could have the opportunity to cheer you on to an amazing accomplishment.
  • Who's the biggest idiot in Las Vegas? I am.

I normally trade 20% with Ralph. He didn't play the limit event, but bought 10% of me. I thought to myself, "I should trade that other 10% with Devin," but I didn't. Sigh...

One of the WHOLE points of Team Canuck is to make poker a shared experience. It's a lonely, difficult place to be when you are not winning. And, it a lot more fun to win when you have someone cheering for you, not because they have a piece of you, but just because they genuinely want to you to win. So, next to my own experience of making the money at the WSOP, the next most fun I have had at the WSOP is watching, and cheering for Devin and Bob. When they hit the bubble I was back in the hotel, tired and grumpy. Ralph called me. I got up, got dressed, and went back over to watch my friends win. It was cathartic and cheered me up. Yesterday, returning to Saskatoon stuck for about $8,000 was OK, becaue "we" won. And, that's the whole point of being a team.

This moves Devin into second place in the Team Canuck WSOP all time money list.

(1) Bob over $120,000
    (2) Devin $73,000
    (3) Dave $45,000
    (4) Ralph less than $45,000.
  • Thanks for all the updates and Congrats again guys! It is always fun and inspiring reading your journeys.. :)
  • Congrats again!!! It was a thrill to see you guys play and finish in the money. Well deserved and very well played!
  • To echo many of the thoughts already shared, thanks to you, Nat and Dave S (and anyone I missed) for providing us with updates. Sounds like we all had fun watching you. (Well, maybe not exactly watching, but whatever it was, it was neat.)

Way to go!!

ScottyZ
  • Thanks to all for the almost immediate hand by hand updates. And thanks to Devin for showing us that winning is possible and attainable on the pro tour.
  • Devin

I personally can't wait for the next BIPC, so I can come back to your apartment and administer a beating on you, and then brag to everyone that I just beat a World Series of Poker final tablist.  (I am not even sure that is a word, but its sounds pretty cool...hey, just because you didn't get the bracelet, you could still print up Tee-shirts:  "I am a WSOP Final Tablist" or "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas, unless your are a WSOP Final Tablist, then that goes wherever the hell you do!").

Seriously, I know I was living vicariously though you and your incredible run, trying to picture what it must have felt like to be there, under the lights, on camera, making sure that the card cam can see your cards, trying not to just start smiling uncontrollably when you remember that you at a final table, playing for a bracelet.  As someone who shares the same philosophy about cards, and life, as you, you have given me hope that one day, maybe even I can play at the final table of a big time poker event too.

Can't wait to read the 39 page trip report either... ;)

• It's looking more and more like 40.
  • all_aces wrote:
    It's looking more and more like 40.
    It'll be more like 5 once you remove all those pages about the strip clubs, the hookers, and those room parties you told me about :D
  • Congrats man! Will we be seeing you at the Main Event now?
  • Well, I think Scotty dug up a quote where I said I'd play the Main if I did really well in one of the $1500 preliminary events.  I guess 6th place in the limit event qualifies.

However, the reality of my situation is that I'm still a professional freelance television camera operator, despite what pokerpages, etc... may report.  Right before my trip to Vegas I secured a job with what is arguably the biggest show in Canada for the next 2 months.  In the freelance world, when you get these kinds of opportunities, you have to take them, not just for the sake of the present, but also for the sake of future work.

Bottom line: I can't go to the Main Event.

Does this all sound like a whole bunch of excuses?  Probably.  ;)  Trust me though, there's nothing I'd like more than to be in Vegas for the Main a month or so from now.  But I just can't... one 6th place WSOP finish isn't going to make me throw away my television connections to become a poker pro.

I will, however, be living vicariously through Team Canuck Poker.  I have a REALLY good feeling about either Bob or Dave (or both) making it REALLY deep into the money.  Those guys can play.  So can Ralph, but he has some important commitments, and he won't be able to play either.
  • Well, I think Scotty dug up a quote where I said I'd play the Main if I did really well in one of the $1500 preliminary events. I guess 6th place in the limit event qualifies.

Well, I don't think that the quote I dug up mentioned anything about playing the WSOP main event this year. It was just something to the effect that you would "fly back" with no mention of where you where flying back to, let alone any talk about entering a poker tournament. You're technically safe. :)

Bah... all of this seems to be a moot point anyway. You're yesterday's news man. I heard that someone on the forum just scored big in Simon.
    Right before my trip to Vegas I secured a job with what is arguably the biggest show in Canada for the next 2 months.

Canadian Idol?

ScottyZ
  • Way to go Devin....lived update by update the whole day...what excitement....so jealous!!! You did Canada and the forum proud!!!
  • Canadian Idol?

Dingdingdingdingdingdingding!

TYVM witchdoctor, and thanks for the support.
  • Hey Devin, if you want someone to go in your place, I will volunteer. You pay the entry fee, and whatever I win, you keep. :D
  • Psi wrote:
    It'll be more like 5 once you remove all those pages about ... the hookers ... you told me about :D
    Does this have anything to do with the last longer bets Dave was vaguely mentioning?

Congrats, Devin. This is truly an awesome accomplishment.

You should make a poker video or something.
  • all_aces wrote:
    Canadian Idol?

Get your phones shined up,
    There is voting to be done.
    Canadian Idol's gonna move ya.

We've got judges...
    Who are craaabbyYY!
    And singers who will move ya
    When they belt their tunes right ooooooooouUUT!

CAN-A-DIAN I-DOL'S GON-NA MOVE YA!

ScottyZ
  • congrats again devin, truly an awesome feat. sucks you cant play in the main event, but as someone who's currently in school for what you get paid to do, i kind of (keyword: kind of) understand how hard it is to get a solid gig. i see all the camera op rejects who work at my school, haha. if you dont mind me asking who are you going to be working for, if thats public knowledge.
  • if you dont mind me asking who are you going to be working for, if thats public knowledge.

My guess is Canadian Idol.

:)
    all_aces wrote:
    Canadian Idol?

ScottyZ
  • soory im illiterate, congrats on the gig
  • Congrats All_Aces. I was very happy to see your name on the list the other day when i started checking results. Way to go.