Poker Tracker Data Mining

Hello All,

I've been using Poker Tracker for about two months, and while I think it is a great tool, some of the stats confuse me in that I'm not sure what the "Ideal" amount should be...

Under the Position Stats tab, it shows you how much you have won/lost in each position on the table. My question is, when in the big and small blind, what should a good player be getting for the BB/won Hand stat? I realize that it is a vulnerable position to be in, and you are forced to post the blinds, so should a good player be just breaking even, down a little, or what in this spot? My personal stats after 5000 hands (admittedly not a big enough amount to accurately portray these stats given the variance of the games) is
-0.13 BB/Won Hand in the BB and, -0.19 BB/Won Hand in the small blind... Does this sound about right to you guys? In all other positions, I am showing positive BB/Won Hand obviously, because I can choose where to go in with those hands.

Interested in hearing any input on this subject and thanks in advance...

Comments

• I find it odd that you are losing more in your small blind than your big blind. u should progressivley make more as u move around the table and make the most on the button.. The fact that u have to put one full bet out instead of half should not be made up by the fact u have a little better position... May be just a data thing that will sort itself out as time goes on or maybe u have a small leak in your game (calling in small blind to much etc). I am not a poker tracker user yet but will be shortly and am very interested in my own numbers as i suspect my numbers in Blinds are worse than yours. I am sure that most (all) players in the long run have a negative number in the blinds...
  • With respect to Poker Tracker the best place to see what all the stats add up to is at their forum.

Just go back to pokertracker.com and click on their forum.  There's a million posts in there.

D
  • hubble wrote:
    I find it odd that you are losing more in your small blind than your big blind. u should progressivley make more as u move around the table and make the most on the button.. The fact that u have to put one full bet out instead of half should not be made up by the fact u have a little better position...

Umm, you DO understand that the SB has the worst position on the table, right?
  • yes i realize that the small blind is the worst position but I can not see it being worse than .5 of a bet (the amount more that u are posting in the BB). If that is the case every postion as u move left should be theoretically worth EV+0.5 of a bet making the button worth about 4 to 4.5 bets (I dont think so) Or am i looking at this all wrong???
  • hubble wrote:
    yes i realize that the small blind is the worst position but I can not see it being worse than .5 of a bet (the amount more that u are posting in the BB). If that is the case every postion as u move left should be theoretically worth EV+0.5 of a bet making the button worth about 4 to 4.5 bets (I dont think so) Or am i looking at this all wrong???

I have no idea what you are trying to say but it sounds like you are really missing the point.
  • MD do your stats show that u make more as you get closer to the button. Just curious if all the seats increase in value as u get closer to the button or if there is any that fall out of place?
  • Hubble,

In regards to your first post, I make more out of the big blind because I'm picking up unraised pots more often than not, I believe that I might be a little loose in the small blind though, with a VPIP% of 27.12 (only in SB :D), although I do play at 1-2, 2-4 and a lot of the pots that I'm entering from there are multi-way, unraised pots...

As for your second post, yes it does trend up as my position gets better, In my case, the cut off position is a little more profitable to me, although that could be more variance than anything else, as I said, I only have about a 5000 hand database...
  • I have been following my positional play, and noticed some weird things occuring in my positional play.

I had my pokeroffice reset on me 2 days ago, so the numbers are not exact, but I do remember a lot of it. I had played about 16000 hands in limit ring games, and after the blinds, my worst position was the 9th spot. Button was my best spot.

I was losing money in the 9th spot, which didn't make any sense to me. I looked at the hands I was playing, and how well these hands performed, and even my premium hands were getting cracked here. Just a case of coincidence? Has anyone noticed this too? Have a spot like this?

My 2nd most profitable position was the 5th seat.

Position is something i do watch a bit, but i don't play everything religiously based on position. I have been playing a lot on the .25/.50 limit games, and am up about $200 over the course of the 16000 hands, played in 45 days.

Little upset i lost this info, but it wont hurt to start from scratch and see how it performs. I have now learned to use the backup feature....