bad play or bad beat......................Arg

ok so I was playing in a home game with 6 other players.

player 1 had A8 off
ME had A10 off
Player 3 had QJ Diamonds

I think preflop it was bumped from $.50/$1 blinds to about $6. PLayer 1 bumps

I call, player 3 calls

Flop comes
10, 8, 2 (8, 2 comes in hearts)

player 1 checks, I bet $7

Player 3 and Player 1 call.

Turn comes A

Player 1 moves all in $23, I call, player 3 calls.

River comes a King and I check and player 3 checks (cause he knows he rivered us).

Should I have moved all in after the turn ($100)?

Player 3 then says he thought he had a heart flush draw, but in fact he had diamonds!

Comments

• There's some info missing like what position you were in. But I think it was a bad decision calling $6 PF with ATo no matter what position you are in. And betting $7 at an $18 pot on the flop is just inviting people to call.
  • I don't like the preflop call. Flop bet seems a little small, but not horrid, if you want to find out where you're at. With 2 callers you have to put at least one of them on a flush draw. The turn push doesn't scream set to me since I'd expect a check raise (or a raise on the flop to protect vs. a flush draw). I'd guess the raiser called with overcards and hit his ace and wants to take down the pot now, since his hand is vulnerable to a flush draw. I don't understand the call here. WAY too likely you're up against a flush draw and you're basically giving him odds to try and catch it. 23 to call into a pot of 85 gives him about 3.7:1 on roughly a 4:1 draw plus he can likely figure you're pot committed to call a bet on the river if he hits, so some implied odds as well. His call is very questionable having no hearts, since 2 of his 8 outs may be gone (turns out he was lucky that all 8 were good). If he thought he was suited, easiest call in the world. I think you have to push the turn to try to get a draw to lay down, with once card to come, I think you shut him out of the pot right there...
  • I agree, a push (or atleast a very large bet) on the turn is in order to isolate you with player a and have the draws fold.
  • Except for the fact that if Player 3 is honest in what he said, (that he though he had two hearts), the flop to him gives him a MONSTER draw... (two overcards, a flush draw and a gutshot straight draw) If he really thinks he has that, I don't think you're pushing him out on the turn.

(I do agree with the others, though, that with the obvious heart draw on the board, pushing the turn to isolate the all-in player is a good move)
  • If he really thinks he has that, I don't think you're pushing him out on the turn

Except now there's only one card to come. His overcard outs are gone. But yes, if he has a 15 out draw (flush + OESD), he likely has odds to call the allin (assuming he thinks they're all good). He'd have to call 100 into a pot of 162 so he's getting 1.62:1 on roughly a 2:1 draw. So still not quite getting the odds. And the allin raise might make the guy actually LOOK to see if those red cards are actually hearts too! :)