Bristol St. Classic XV - RESULTS!!

Bristol Street Classic XV will go down as one of the tightest tournaments in recent memory. Setting records for longest tournament, highest blind level when the final table formed and highest ever blind level, play after the break was solid and tight.

When the final table formed, the difference in each players stack-size, compared to the big blind was tiny, which caused everyone to play a very tight and defensive game. In fact, the final table started with only 1 minute left in the 300-600 level.

The final table only had one former champion, with a lot of new faces in the mix.

FINAL TABLE

Seat 1: Wraychel (1,400 chips)
Seat 2: "preroller" Dave (7,500 chips)
Seat 3: Kevin (5,200 chips)
Seat 4: "hughjazz" Dom (7,300 chips)
Seat 5: "Shopsy" Jeff (6,100 chips)
Seat 6: "batmankw" David S. (3,500 chips)
Seat 7: "carmaker" Geoff C. (4,900 chips)
Seat 8: "Lamb Of" John A. (4,100 chips)

7th/8th Place: "preroller" Dave / "Lamb of" John A.

How tight was the final table? As mentioned above, the table almost immediately hit the 400-800 level meaning the average stack had only 5 BB's left. It took over 40 minutes and almost two full blind levels to the first player from the final table!!

The blinds raised to 400-800, and then to 500-1000. John, left with only 2,000 chips UTG, moved all-in. John was called by "preroller" Dave, and then Dom moved over the top all-in, having both competitors covered. "preroller" called the all-in bet and the hands were turned over; John(Q5), preroller(A3s), Dom(AKh).

Dom's hand held up, giving him a relatively massive chips led over the other players. John, with the shorter intial chip stack came in 8th, while Dave's official finish was 7th place. Great game by both players.

6th Place: "batmankw" David S. (Bubble-Boy!)

At this point we were now ready to crown the Bristol Street XV Bubble-Boy and early indications looked to "batmankw" as the likely suspect.

He was able to survive a couple of All-ins (including one blind all-in on the BB after hitting a rivered gut-shot straight with 85o), he was eventually forced in with J7 against Goeff's Q5. A Queen on the flop ended David's night and earned him the title of Bubble-Boy

It's always great to see new players out and you'll have a chance to avenge your finish at next week's KWSOP Satellite!

5th Place: Wraychel ($20)

Starting off as the stand-out short stack, Wraychel doubled her way up a few times and became a serious threat to break into the top 3 chip size! As Wraytchel moved all-in and was called by Geoff, it appeared that she was going to double her stack again and become one of the largest in the game.

Goeff, calling from the BB, knew he was the under dog and asked Wraytchel if she could beat 10-high (specifically, T8o). Wraychel turned over JJ and was a massive favorite pre-flop. A T on flop was followed by an 8 on the river, eliminating Wraychel in 5th place.

You couldn't have asked for a better opportunity to get all your chips in, and a unfortunate bit of bad luck ended her night a little too early. Still an excellent finish for an excellent player!!

4th Place: Kevin ($40)

The award for come behind of the night goes out to Kevin who, with 10 players left in the tournament, and blinds at 200-400, found himself with only 3 black chips in front of him. Forced all-in on the BB, (yet not able to fully post it), Kevin doubled up, and folded the small blind, leaving him with 400 then proceed to triple up a few hands later. By the time the final table formed he was able to eventually build his stack up to almost 5,000 chips.

In his final hand, Kevin was able to trap Dom in a all-in call with Kevin holding AQ and Dom having A9. This turn of events looked to propell Kevin into the lead but, instead, a 9 on the river outsted Kevin from the tournament. A tough beat, but a truely great come from behind finish!

3rd Place: "Shopsy" Jeff ($60)

The curse of "Shopsy" has finally lifted. After continually bust outs before we break our first table, Shopsy not only landed at his first Bristol Street Final table, but broke into the money landing a Top 3 finish!

As was the story of the previous finisher, Shopsy entered the hand as a favorite only to fall to the wayside!

Jeff, on a short stack, with blinds increased to 1000-1500, was forced all-in by Dom's raise and didn't like his chances when he was forced to show 56c. His spirits were immediately lifted when Dom turned over 43h, making him the favorite, pre-flop.

The flop included a 3 as well as two clubs, giving Shopsy 15 outs. Although behind to Dom's pair of 3's, his outs made him still a marginal favorite after the flop. Sadly, the turn and river both came up empty and Shopsy ended the evening in third.

Congrats on finally breaking the curse!!

HEADS-UP!!

Dom : 32,500 chips
Geoff : 7,500 chips

With over a 4 to 1 chip lead, Geoff had his work cut out for him to get back into the game. A full blind level would pass before a winner would be announced.

Chips were evenly traded back and forth and Dom's first early chance to eliminate Geoff came when the players found themselves all-in pre-flop with Dom's KJ v. Geoff's K9. A 9 on the flop, dashed Dom's hope, and Dom's lead shruck to a 2 to 1 chip advantage. With the chip count getting closer, play became more cautious and Dom's next opporunity took a little longer to come.

Dom's second chance at eliminating Geoff came with the players were once again all-in pre-flop; Dom's K9 v. Geoff's K5. The board paired on the flop, a Queen came on the turn, and a King appeared on the river momentarily looking to give Dom victory! It was pointed out that both players had two pair with a Queen kicker and the pot was split.

A short while later, Geoff called the big blind, which caused Dom to raise, and Geoff to re-raise all in. Dom called, turning over KQ, while Geoff held rockets! In a surprising move for the evening, the Rockets held up and, for the first time, Geoff took the lead from Dom gaining his own 2 to 1 chip lead over Dom.

Dom turned up the aggression, giving Geoff a few chances to eliminate him. Those were passed by as Geoff was looking for an ideal opporunity to put the final nail the coffin. As Geoff waiting for the right hand, Dom continued stealing blinds and playing agressive post flop, until Dom has a slight chip lead over Geoff and the final hand was played.

The players found themselves all-in pre-flop. Geoff held A6o while Dom was behind with Q8c. For a moment, Geoff looked to cripple Dom until the flop came...

4c 9c Jc

..giving Dom the flopped flush, leaving Geoff drawing dead. A Queen came on the turn and, to add insult to injury, the river was the Tc, making the winning hand a Queen-high straight flush.

The chips were counted, Dom held a marginal chip lead, which gave him the win, $180 and the title of Bristol Street Classic XV Champion!! Geoff played an outstanding tournament and earned a second place prize purse of $100 for his troubles.

Congrats to both players on a tense heads-up battle and a well played tournament!

Feel free to add your own personal poker stories of Bristol Street XV to this thread!

OFFICIAL RESULTS: (22 buy-ins, 18 re-buys, $400 prize pool)

1st: "hughjazz" Dom - 12:44am ($180)
2nd: "carmaker" Geoff C. - 12:44am ($100)
3rd: "Shopsy" Jeff S. - 12:29am ($60)
4th: "Comeback Kid" Kevin - 12:25am ($40)
5th: Wraytchel - 12:20am ($20)
6th: "batmankw" David Sin. - 12:00am (Bubble-Boy!)
7th: "preroller" Dave - 11:49pm
8th: "Lamb of" John A. - 11:49pm
9th: "Ercules" Eric - 11:08pm
10th: "SkittlePoker" Bill S. - 11:06pm
11th: "Oragami" Jonathan C. - 10:35pm
12th: "Big E" Eric P. - 10:11pm
13th: "duggy" Ryan F. - 10:08pm
14th: "Flint Bones" Andrew S. - 9:54pm
15th: "INeedANick" Dave P. - 9:17pm
16th: "Slippery" Pete A. - 9:17pm
17th: "Wolfhound" Dave W. - 9:17pm
18th: "ItsaMe" Mario - 9:13pm
19th: "Zithal" Rob L. - 9:13pm
20th: "Pinhead" Brad - 9:07pm
21st: "Brava" Dave S. - 8:54pm
22nd: "JohnnieH" Johnnie H. - 8:48pm

Comments

• Wow......great play guys!!!!
    If the KWSOP is half as exiting as this tournament was, we should have a great time.

My night ended early after I flopped top pair in consecutive hands, running into two pair both times!! Once to Wraychel and the other to "FLintbones" Andrew. I might add that it was also the first two hands after the break. How come when I flop two pair, they NEVER seem to hold up? Thats life.

Thanks once again Rob, it was a great tournament.

Congrats to the money winners, and I'd like to add a special thanks to Wraychel for buying me a pita with her winnings!!

See ya next week,

JohnnieH

ps....Tight is right!!!
  • Great report Rob.

I had some major success early on...won 2 big stacks flopping 5 5 Q holding K 5 soooted against Dom and Eric holding 88 and 77 respectively.

And from Mario and Rob on a straight holding 4 6 soooted flopping 3 5 7 then the 4 came..then an 8? anyway they both had crap, 2 pair and ??.

So much for them 'premium cards' eh Mario! :p

I think I was up to 3375 @ the 1st break.

when we moved to the 2nd table, our guys seemed to take a wait and see approach, Wraychel, Ryan Finch(nice to see you!) Dave s, all took down some nice pots. Wraychel almost went out for the puppy, but caught a few good breaks. I took down Ryan for a lot of chips holding AA vs A 10. Q Q 10 rag ...rag?...

Won some more pots and got to 7500 going into the last table.

In hindsight, I prolly should have laid my hand down there to Dom...I still would have had 3300 or so left...oh well, like I mentioned b4, I was playing for 1st, and I just had a hunch that Dom had good cards, but not an ace...I was thinking pocket kings?.Big Paint...anyway, he could have just been trying to steal Wray and I's 3000 +blinds + Johns all in...I had to see it, since I could win a huge pot with an Ace or a bunch of spades...the whole table just loosened up in a matter of minutes...after seeing hand after hand go by with nop flop.

Great tourny, see ya next time.
    Dave
  • Great tourny as always.

It's always good to meet some of the members of the forum as well.
  • My apologies to JohnnieH, I beat him with absolute crap. That's what the small blind does when no one even limps in. I have 3 6 off and the flop comes 3 K 6. It was all about the skill there!

I was out an hour or so later. Wraytchel took me out with her AJ to my 55. I was barely leading going in and the KKQ flop set up so many outs I couldn't count (well, I guess I can it is around 13, no?). The Ace hit the river and I was out. I can't even say it was a bad beat. Great game all around.
  • No apologies necessary, Andrew. My only beef is, as I said before, that my flopped two pair doesn't seem to hold up. Grrrrrrrrrrr

See you next week,

JohnnieH
  • My own personal tournament wasn't much to talk about.

Built up some chips early and lost a good chunk of them to the hand that preroller mentioned about. I limped in with a suited one-gaper (6-8, I think?) and hit a double-ended straight draw on the flop. Mario bet at the flop, I called, preroller raised and I had to call at that point.

The turn was a brick, checked to preroller who bet again, Mario called and I was getting good odds for the river. I called, nothing came and preroller showed the flopped straight. I was down to under 250 and rebought.

At the 20-40 level (I think), I got AKo UTG+1 and raised to 150. "ercules" Eric called and the flop came A9x. The flop was completely not co-ordinated. Eric checks, I check. Turn is a brick, Eric bets out 200, I raise to 600 and he calls (oh-oh). River is also a brick and Eric moves in. That's not good. So, I go into the tank.

He's smooth called both an almost 4x BB raise pre-flop (ie. he has a hand), AND smooth calls a raise on the turn, then leads out better on the river. What kind of box can we put him in?

No flush on the board, and the only possible striaght would be with something that I can't imagine calling the pre-flop raise with. AA or 99 is possible(I think the next highest card is a 7), so 77 is also possible. AA is unlikely as I have one of them. He could have TT-KK, though that would be a VERY daring bet on the river to do that (he would have had to read my raise on the turn as a steal to do that.) AK, AQ and A9 are also posssible, but the river bet is the worrisome one. It smells of "I'd like to check and try and trap you again, but I really want my monster hand to get paid off, so I'll bet. With the range of hands I put him on, I guess 50% trips or two pair, 40% hands that I have beat and 10% pure bluff. I'm getting just over 2 to 1 on my money, so (being that I still have one re-buy left) I make the call and he turns over AA! Very nicely played!

I take my final re-buy and hit the break with about 900 chips and blinds hitting 50-100. The blinds pass me once, and I end up UTG+1 with KQo. We're less than a minute from the 75-150 level, so my 750 stack is feeling VERY short at the moment. UTG (Mario) goes all-in and I take a big risk and call. One other caller pair and both of us covered. I turn a double-ended straight, but don't improve and am out in 19th place. I really hated making the call as I would have rather pushed on something less to get a little fold equity, but that's the way the game goes.
  • i love being the big stack. at the first break i was the major chip lead (5350 to be exact) and kept saying to myself "come on man, switch gears now, take it easy. you are gonna get a good hand and someone will have better. you cant get lucky all friggin night.!!"

however, taking any advice, even my own, isnt really my style. HAHA

2 hands later i was down to about 2750. smooth move retard!!!

so yeah, an 8th place finish after that was good for me. had to do some serious battling back to even do it.

liek i said, for me it was a stressfull tournament. but still fun
    johnny