A little help for charity?

When I tore my ACL back in November, I had to find something new to do at work over the lunch hour other than play ping pong. So I started a little lunch poker club where we have a turbo tournament over lunch. It started off slowly, but now we are regularly turning away players and have people going to the meeting room early to make sure they can get a spot.

So our HR manager asked if I could run a charity event (since corporately we don't do anything in that direction in the summer months) for the KW foodbank. Buyin would be donations of food or cash towards the charity. I think this is a great idea as I will get no less than 30 participants, and it will be hosted during work hours! (with the understanding that you have to go back to work when you bust out, talk about motivation to hang onto your chips!)

But I am going to need some hellp to pull this off, and where do you go for poker help other than "The Forum".

1. Sloth - are you still liquidating chips? I will probably need some more. (Mmm, who knew Lays made liquid potato chips? I can't suck just one!)
2. Prizes - since we aren't dealing with cash here, I need prizes. Figuring 10, one for each position (8) at the final table, one for the first out and one for the best hand of the night. So I need ideas. Work is going to give us a couple branded shirts, but that is the best they are offering. Anyone want to give up one of their extra seats to the KWSOP to support charity? ;)
3. Structure - wait a minute, Zithal just posted an amazing discussion about structure (thanks again!).

Thanks.

Comments

• That sounds like a great idea, but you have a few things you have to consider. Technically speaking you can not play to win anything, therefore the prizes have to be "technically" handed out randomly. Do not have cash involved, there fore there is less risk involved. This way when Joe Hancock goes to his buddies and brags, it limits the liability for your employer.

All that aside, go for it, it is a great idea, and regardless, I don't think you would have anything to worry about anyways.

On prizes.....Talk to Dave at www.witchdoctorpoker.com, talk to Joel Sandler (from newyorkpoker.com, tell him Rob Spence gave you his info) 416-661-3412 or joel@newyorkpoker.com, they might be of some help. I would offer up a seat in our June tournament, but I have to finish figuring out the logistics of the event, so that is a possibility as well, maybe, if I can find a way to cover a seat.
  • ASK the boss to give a day off to the winner. I would play for that.
    You do tourney on thursday and winner have friday off. What could be better than this. :)
  • rgspence wrote:
    On prizes.....Talk to Dave at www.witchdoctorpoker.com, talk to Joel Sandler (from newyorkpoker.com, tell him Rob Spence gave you his info) 416-661-3412 or joel@newyorkpoker.com, they might be of some help. I would offer up a seat in our June tournament, but I have to finish figuring out the logistics of the event, so that is a possibility as well, maybe, if I can find a way to cover a seat.

Wow - already way more than I expected to hear back! Our company lawyer actually is helping me organize the event, so at least my a s s is covered!
    Thanks again!
  • Hey there.....give me an e-mail at sales@witchdoctorpoker.com and I am sure we can work something out....Dave
  • Do you have an email address? I think West Side Poker Club could help in some way. Send me an email at westsidepokerclub@rogers.com

I think we can help.

Brent
    West Side Poker Club