SNG's when you can't steal

Thought I'd poll the masses and see how other people deal with these situations. Latter stages of a SNG, sitting avg'd stacked, but hoping to start accumulating chips through stealing. Problem is, the guys on your left are both big stacked and very loose since they've hit a few too many 2 outers and have busted people (weak players). I find myself cursing my seat and get frustrated that stealing simply isn't an option for me since I will almost always be called by some sort of questionable hand. Is the only play here to just STOP all steal attempts whatsoever, sit tight, wait for a monster and then push (knowing you'll likely get called by a marginal hand)?

Comments

• Good players with a big stack should be making marginal raises, not marginal calls.  (Thanks to ScottyZ for putting it so concisely; I just directly ripped him off.)

The players on your left have big stacks, but they're not good.  Even BAD players don't want to lose half their stack close to the money.  The only weapon you have is an all-in bet.  I've been the big stack enough times (as have you, and all of us) to know that the only thing that'll get me to fold my BB when we're close to the money and I have a monster stack is an all-in bet.  That being said, if that all-in bet is less than 3XBB, I'm usually calling with any two.  If it's more, I'll fold hands like ace-small, KJ, even KQ.  I'll fold small pairs, 77 and lower off the top of my head.

So if your stack is still enough to hurt the big stacks, (ie: half their stack), you still have a LOT of power.  Raising small won't work... they'll either call and move in on the flop or they'll move all-in preflop.  Especially if they are as loose as you describe.  When you're shorthanded, and the blinds are big, and coming around fast, you don't have time to wait.  With two big loose stacks on your left, it would be nice if you could wait, but you can't.  You have to make all-in moves with any ace, two high cards, small pairs, and even middle suited connectors and suited one-gappers.  And if you're not even getting any of that junk, you have to move in with any two before you get to 3XBB.  I know the players on your left will call you with sub-optimal hands because they're morons who don't understand big stack play, or they are good enough to know that your all-in bets could be made with a large variety of hands, and that therefore lowers their calling requrements.  But, you could get them to fold trash, or if they call you could get lucky by having the best hand and having it hold up or having a slightly worse hand and sucking out.  Sometimes being on the 40 end of a 60/40 shot isn't that bad a thing, like when the circumstances are as bad as you describe.
  • Problem is, the guys on your left are both big stacked and very loose

That's not a problem.
  • If you don't have time to wait for a half-decent hand because of the blinds and the fact that you're playing shorthanded, it is.  Tight players on your left are easier to steal from.  Granted, if you have time to wait a bit for a quasi-real hand, loose players on your left are preferable.  However, if you are in the position where you have to go all-in with junk just to stay alive, you don't want to be called, and you are more likely to be called by a loose player than by a tight player.

That being said, I agree that having loose players on your left is not *usually* a problem.  In the situation that ScoobyD oulined though, it can be, IMO.  How would you handle the situation?
  • Well I think the key is to figure out how loose these guys are.. Loose like 72o all-in loose or loose like any pocket pair is gold loose or 'loose' like calling all-ins with TT... Find a hand thats better than his likely holding and double up through him.

If you pick up a real hand, you double up and if you pick up a better than average hand you can double up. With the tighties, you may be able to steal more, but your road to the double up is harder.
  • Looks like we agree. ScoobyD described them as "very loose". So, we both recommend moving in with any better than average hand:
    With two big loose stacks on your left, it would be nice if you could wait, but you can't. You have to make all-in moves with any ace, two high cards, small pairs, and even middle suited connectors and suited one-gappers.

But you can only wait so long. If you don't see any of these types of hands--and I'd add any suited king into the mix too--then it's any two cards at 3XBB, and hope for the best--a fold, or a lucky double-up.
  • Thanks for the advice guys. I agree that having a loose caller with a big stack is much more preferable to having a good player with a big stack. I guess I just need to recognize the situation better and adapt (the name of the game in poker). By "loose" I'd say calling 2 - 3 BB raises with hands like A-rag off, K-8o, suited hands, connected hands. As AA said, small raises don't scare a big stack, but a push will. I think I'm used to playing a "typical" SNG of tight early play looking to double through with a big hand, and then as players get knocked out there tends to be tighter players left which I start to go after their blinds (as my table image is generally fairly tight by then). On occaision though either I've had cold cards and thus have a smaller (usually around average) stack, or a few yahoos sucked out vs. big hands and now they have all the chips. As BBC said, these guys WILL give you golden opportunities to double (calling with dominated hands). I just hate sitting back and waiting though as the blinds are rising and my stack isn't. I then make dumb steal attempts with marginal hands which I get called on and then have difficult decisions to make if I miss on the flop. I guess if I decide I have hands worth trying to steal with I have to decide whether I'm willing to risk the rest of my stack or not...