propositional player

hey guys what is a propositional player ?

Comments

• Usually known as a "prop" player for short, this is a player who plays at least partially for the benefit of the house.

There are two basic types I know of.

1. Players who (partially or fully) play with the house money and share the winnings with the house.

2. Players who play with their own money, and are paid a fee (e.g. hourly) to play at specific games and tables at the request of the house.

The latter is probably more common, and the idea is that the house can use prop players to prevent certain games from going shorthanded and/or breaking.

ScottyZ
  • To add to that...

Props are normally used to fill tables to ensure that the games stay alive. Normally a prop will have to relinquish his seat if the table fills up and a list is started.

Mike
  • mikeiwo wrote:
    To add to that...

Props are normally used to fill tables to ensure that the games stay alive. Normally a prop will have to relinquish his seat if the table fills up and a list is started.

Mike

lol...sorta like a seat filler :mrgreen:
  • there are a bunch of new schemes some sites are testing to try to get action at their sites. None seem to be working.
    I have "hosted" online before.
    Basically players are compensated, via a rake refund program, for starting up new tables and keeping them going, if a game fills up, the hosts should give up seats to accomadate other customers.
    If you get a chance to prop or host at a site that has a lot of traffic, take it!! the money can get very good.
    Kev
  • CanadaKev wrote:
    there are a bunch of new schemes some sites are testing to try to get action at their sites. None seem to be working.
    I have "hosted" online before.
    Basically players are compensated, via a rake refund program, for starting up new tables and keeping them going, if a game fills up, the hosts should give up seats to accomadate other customers.
    If you get a chance to prop or host at a site that has a lot of traffic, take it!! the money can get very good.
    Kev

how good?
  • There are some cons with being a prop player online...

The money might be "ok" in doing so it is usually somewhere around 50-100% of the rake you generate. However, you need to be a winning player -- it is no good being a prop player when you lose everything you make plus some doing so.

Also, you often have to play shorthanded to get games going -- if you are not a good shorthanded player then this is probably not for you.

Finally, when you are at a great table that fills up you usually have to give up your seat once there is a waiting list. This means that you sometimes have to play shorthanded games and when they become good and fill up you have to leave that sweet spot to start another table.

Personally I think being a prop player is a tough gig. I have some friends that do it and have asked me to get involved ... after looking at the sites that they were doing it with my answer has been "no". To give you some feel I believe these are the typical rates ...

ACR - offers 90% at all times
    Paradise - offers 50% during prime time, and 100% during off hours

Some of them also have minimum hourly commitments and I have heard some do not have very good stats as far as how much you have played and such (they should be updated daily or even real time, but my understanding is that a lot of them do not).

Anyway that is what I know about it ... hope it is helpful :)