SB vs. BB hands

Sng 5$ on Paradise...I'm practicing for Saturday... :fish:

Table is tigh passive...

Blinds 100/200

1. folded to me SB, I have around 3k in chips KJo in the pocket, BB has around 1k.

I raised to 600, he thinks a bit and move in, I call he shows me AK no help...

2 rounds later...

Blinds 150/300

2. folded to me in SB, I have around 2k in chips QQ in the pocket, BB has me covered.

I limp, he min-raise, I call

flop 7 10 10 (2 hearts)

I check he moves in, I call, he shows me AA...I'm out!!!

I thought I played these fine...well, I surely could have played them differently...

feel free to comments!

Thx!

Comments

• Blinds 100/200

1. folded to me SB, I have around 3k in chips KJo in the pocket, BB has around 1k.

I would move all-in or fold here. I favour folding.

Power of the short stack.
    Blinds 150/300

2. folded to me in SB, I have around 2k in chips QQ in the pocket, BB has me covered.

Move all-in. This one is a no-brainer I think. You'll get called by a wide range of hands in a
    Sng 5$

ScottyZ
  • Are you just looking for someone to tell you that this was unavoidable?
  • PokerKai wrote:
    Are you just looking for someone to tell you that this was unavoidable?

TY! That's what I was looking for! :D

Seriously, it was more to vent a bit...In 2 hands, I went from chip leader to out in 4th place...

Thx Scotty for the feedback...I sometimes forget that I'm playing 5$ Sng...

For hand #2, would you move all-in even in a tougher, higher buy-in game?...I suppose yes, but not for the same reason? it depends?The guy had me covered but maybe only by 1k...

I think I tend to play a higher variance game lately or try to...maybe I just play bad poker. It kind of burned me...

I think Dave wrote on that subject in one of his posts...I'll have to find it...and re-read it...
  • In the second hand if you are getting that low on chips and you have QQ in the SB, then yes, I go all in. You got beat by pocket aces it happens and it will happen again. But the point here is you don't want your opponent to see the flop. With that 10 10 on the board you could have lost the pot even if he had a 10 and a low kicker in the BB. Don't let him see the flop for free if you have QQ.

In the end he would have called you no matter what you bet, but the right play in my mind is to move in before the flop.
  • For hand #2, would you move all-in even in a tougher, higher buy-in game?...I suppose yes, but not for the same reason? it depends?The guy had me covered but maybe only by 1k...

Probably yes, and actually, for the exact same reason. This is, that my opponent will probably call with a wide variety of hands.

However, the reason I'd expect my opponent to call with the same wide variety of hands would change. At a high level game, opening by moving all-in from the small blind is a common play that often suggests weakness. Any situation where a typical player (or better yet, you) would make a big overbet with a weak hand is an excellent situation to make the same big overbet when you happen to have a legitimate hand.

Put simply, if my opponent probably expects me to make a big move with no hand in a certain situation, I will usually make exactly that move with a hand too.

One way to think about it is that a low buy-in player is likely to call an all-in bet here with A7s thinking that it is the immortal nuts. A high buy-in player may call with the exact same hand, thinking the all-in player has a hand like J3o.

The caveat at a higher buy-in level is player read. I might get tricky more often with the QQ against a hyper-aggressive player.

ScottyZ