slightly depressed about the world tonight

I am sitting here, trying to organize my thoughts and I am just not getting anywhere. My better half and I had a chat tonight and she wanted to know why I am not myself - I think I am distant or something.

I had an AWESOME vacation in Europe and I am setting up what looks to be a great poker summit, but I am still missing something in life. My employment situation is the source of my anxiety tonight. I would have to write a few hundred pages to describe how I got here (at this point in life) but really, the situation can be summed up in a few lines. I really, really want to do something I love for a living. I had a job I did well and liked doing for 4 years and I left it for various reasons in Oct of 2004. I have not found anything really fulfilling since.

I have had many ideas, most of them crap, a few brilliant, but nothing has panned out yet (so much for entrapeneurial life being easy). I still have some things I wish to try, I think some of them might be successful but I just find my level of optimism is fading.

Maybe I need to sleep on it.

Just a mini rant/vent to clear my head. Somehow, I figure someone here might know what this phase of the life cycle feels like and I suppose that will ease the feeling a little. If not, I can use this post to look back when things are great to ground myself and find a little reminder of the not so exciting times.

Forgive the ramble

Comments

• I know the feeling....anxiety that is...I just can't quite put my finger on the source. I know a chunk stems from selling the store which has been a big part of my life for 3 years now, another chunk of course is coming from my dayjob and the changes there. If possible, I recommend going into business for yourself, it's a great feeling.
  • Yeah, I agree. I have tried a few things (over the last 17 months) and have met with small failures. Nothing epic, nothing I have had to pay down or anything, just missed opportunities ad broken promises.

As I said, I have some great ideas, I just need some inspiration to pick myself up and try again.
  • Dude, keep your head up. When I ventured out on my own (split from mine and my brothers electrical company), we had an 8 year old boy, a new born, we had just moved into my inlaws house, I had just wrote off our car after spending our savings on a new cargo van. The wife was leavin me for sure. The business is doin ok, not great, but ok, but I too feel like something is missing. I don't know how long I wanna keep sluggin this thing out for. Sometimes, it doesn't seem worth the hours away from home and all the other expences. I keep thinking of going back to work for someone else again, but then I dunno if I could take that either. LOL. I told the wife last night I wanted to pack up the trade and become a JOCKEY, needless to say, she went out for the night and I slept on the couch.

I think the most important thing in life is to do what you have to do, until you can do what you want to do, or until you feel you and your signifigant other are ready to leap into the unknown.

I don't know if this will help any, but I thought I'd let you know that on your sleepless night's, your not alone.

Rob
  • True.

I am not as miserable as that post seemed. Mostly reflective.

I kinda want to kick life in the crotch and steal it's milk money, just like grade 4. I am just at the 3rd night of not sleeping well and I feel as though I want to walk away from it all. But I can't. From the sound of it, I would guess that a few other people are at the same phase (or close enough that they remember) and I think that helps.

It's weird - total strangers (well, internet buddies at most) can help your head.

Weird world.
  • Fully agree, but if you need someone to hold it down while you kick...let me know...I'm game for anything at this point. Yeah, I'm not so much depressed, more frustrated that life is getting in the way of mine and my family's plans.
  • Let me know if you figure it all out, ok Rob?
  • And the same goes for you! :D
  • rgspence wrote:
    And the same goes for you! :D

well. when I was in amsterdam, the answer would have been about 2 grams and a nice bean bag chair to crash in. Here, I am not so sure.

I think I just have to keep plugging away at it. It's actually pretty simple. It's just these moments that get to me.

I had a discussion with another start-up today and I think that's what triggered my B.S.-o-meter. I kinda feel as though I am trying to find a get rich quick scheme, but with out the 'quick' part. I am ready to bleed for the right project, but each one I take on seems to implode (as opposed to explode) which actually creates a compound frustration thing.

Anyhow, I shall let my dreams take me away....
  • group hug. :wav:
  • [queues track 3. Man I Used To Be from Joy Rebellion by K-OS]

Well, good things can happen again.  I can't assume to know your reasons but I am near 35 and left a job I did well for 3.5 years in August of 2004.  Everyone was quite puzzled I wasn't going to the competition or switching fields.  I was weary of my Veal-Fattening Pen* and fortunate to make a couple of financial moves to give me some time to figure out what next.  Perhaps my exit nudged 2 guys I had worked with just a bit more.  They soon after quit, registered a U.S. business and began contracting for our original company.  They've subcontracted the overflow to me.  I doubt these gravy days will last more than a couple of years.  I have to just enjoy working legally in a market I was refused before.  Those INS employees can be quite arbitrary at times.  Hopefully there's something familiar to you in my short story.

I find sleep the quickest fix.  Tomorrow I suggest renting Office Space.  Even if you didn't work in an office, it still might remind you of all the reasons you left.  I read in GIANT magazine a special Office Space DVD is comming later this year.  Something to look forward to.
    Hmmm, a last minute addon - other movies that 'eventually made me quit' Fight Club, Matrix (only the original please) and who knows maybe even Being John Malkovitch - not that I want to be a puppeteer.
    All four of the movies I listed came out in 1999.  I find that stunning.

I'll forgive the ramble but not the gamble.

* Coupland
  • "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." -Thoreau

Don't mean that to sound too depressing, only what you are feeling is more common then you might think. Live well, laugh often.
  • I just reread this and I have to announce:

I totally kicked life in the crotch this weekend.

Back to normal...
  • :D  :wav:  :D nice...ya know that actually make's me feel better...is that man flirting?????
  • a little, but it's ok - I think you and I have reached a new level in our relationship :bs:
  • I definately find myself in the same position as you fellas. and yes, it definately is a bit weird how reading these posts at 4 in the morning can make you feell just a little bit better.

right now i am at a point in my life where i am asking myself if it isnt just a better idea to pack a really small number of things and take off. start over.

I just recently ended things with my girlfriend of a year. I was (and of course still am) in love with this girl. and it seems i was working so hard for the last year to make things work with me and her. and then it all failed. a truely depressing point in the life of johnny adams.

***hey, at least i forget about all of my bad times when i'm pulling huge stacks of chips towards me***

thanks guys.
    Johnny