($20 pot + $5 admin)

Payout:

1st Place = $350

2nd Place = $200

3rd Place = $120

4th Place = $80

5th Place = $50

Details:
Seating is limited to 40 players and payouts assume 40 players are present. You must reserve your seat in advance by sending an e-mail to waterloopoker@gmail.com. It is anticipated that this tournament will take about six hours to complete.This is not a money-making venture. The $5 administrative cost will be going directly towards poker supplies and the rental of tables and chairs for the event. The administrative fee must be paid in advance of the tournament and is non-refundable. E-mail me to make arrangements for the payment of the fee. No food or drink will be provided but both are welcome.

Tournament format:
The tournament will be No-Limit Style Texas Hold 'Em Poker. Each player will receive $50 in chips for their $25 buy-in. No re-buys or add-ons will be permitted. You are eliminated from the tournament once you have lost all your chips. The tournament will stop only for fifteen minute breaks every two hours. There will be five tables of eight players each. Tables will be randomly assigned. Tables will be combined every time the number of players remaining is reduced by 8 (32 players = 4 tables, 24 players = 3 tables, etc.). Blinds will start at $1/$2 and be raised every hour. If the tournament is still being played after six hours, blinds will be raised every half-hour. A blind schedule will be clearly posted at the tournament.

To reserve your seat or for more detailed tournament information e-mail waterloopoker@gmail.com .  Please forward this message to anybody who may be interested. Absolutely everybody is welcome.

Thank you and see you on May 8th,
Wil McLean
Waterloo Open Tournament Director

Comments

• $50 in chips? What is the blind structure? I"ve run tourneys with $100 in chips and starting at 1/2 and it's more of a crap shoot than a tourney
  • Hey AcidJoe,

The blind structure is as follows:

Hour Small/Big Blind
    1 $1/$2
    2 $2/$4
    (Fifteen minute break)
    3 $3/$6
    4 $5/$10
    (Fifteen minute break)
    5 $10/$20
    6 $20/$40
    (Fifteen minute break)
    7 $40/$80
    7.5 $80/$180
    8 $160/$320
    8.5 $320/$640
    9 $640/$1280

My thinking was that because the blinds are only being raised every hour, starting with the blind to chip ratio being higher than normal would make sense. I was considering starting with a $1/$1 first hour, but thought that may be too coddling. Being as this is the first tournament I'm running, I struggled with the blind structure the most but thus far of the 15 people who've signed up none have complained about the blinds. It's something I would be willing to alter if enough players or potential players brought up a concern with it.

The reason for so few chips is simplicity, nothing else.

In your $100, $1/$2 tournament, how often were the blinds raised?
  • they were raised every 25 minutes with a 5 minute break after 2 levels.
  • There are still spots open in this tournament for anyone who is interested.
  • I assume this is a freeze-out tournament? If so, you may wish to consider adding a 1/1 level to the beginning of the day. 1/2 with a $50 stack is not a lot of play. Starting at level 2 (assuming no one has busted out) means the average stack is 12.5 BBs and a standard 3x bb raise pretty much commits you to the pot at that point.

A second option, if you want to keep the blinds as is, is to make it a re-buy tournament, but I think you'll get a lot more enjoyment out of the day if you start at 1-1