This is getting silly

Seven times in the past month, I have flopped a straight. Seven times, I have lost with that flopped straight. Should I just fold 'em next time it happens?

Comments

• DETAILS, MAN, DETAILS.

They're hard to swallow, but bad runs happen. Without knowing more about the circumstances though, it's tough to make a call. I wouldn't fold a flopped straight, but I would play it aggressively. Watch the turn, watch the betting patterns unfold, and then with some cautious aggression. Seven straight beats though is tough, I can see where your frustration would cause you to tilt abit. Hang in there.
  • STR82ACE wrote:
    DETAILS, MAN, DETAILS.

Eh, it's more a weird-occurrence post than a detailed strategy post. I play mostly low limits, so with a straight about 99% of the time it's correct to jam the pot, and I do. Just had seven times in a row where other folks paid full price and then some for thin draws, and still hit. First two times were runner-runner full houses; annoying, but in the grand scheme of things I don't mind at all if somebody wants to call me down with a pair and a dream, so long as they occasionally miss. Numbers 3, 5 and 7 were flush draws that hit on the river - again annoying, but they paid to draw so c'est la vie and at least they were drawing to reasonably viable hands. Four and six were runner-runner flushes. Four was particularly amusing; I had JT :h: and the flop came Q :h: 9 :c: 8 :h: . Two callers came along for the ride, and the turn was A :h:, improving my straight to a flush, albeit only second nut. One caller dropped out, the other came to the river which brought the 2 :h: . Bad guy turns over K :h: 8 :s: for the win.

Play that hand from the flop on 100 times and I'll win about 95 of them, so I'm not really serious when I ask if I should fold my next flopped straight. But I am getting kind of morbidly curious as to how many more ways there are to lose with that hand. And I wonder if flopped straights will be +EV for me by the end of the year... ;)
  • Don't you just love this game sometimes?
    Seriously, I think you should play with more aggression Sooner rather than later, you'll grab the nuts and crush one or more of your opponents. Then those seven tough beats will be just a memory.
    Just don't crush me, please!

JohnnieH