What to do in this situation?

This hand came up in a 15+1 Turbo 2 tables SnG tonight:

PokerStars Game #1569805692: Tournament #7256837, Hold'em No Limit - Level VIII (200/400) - 2005/04/23 - 02:01:09 (ET)
Table '7256837 2' Seat #3 is the button
Seat 1: IggyD8503 (1815 in chips)
Seat 2: DeeRosier (1275 in chips)
Seat 3: NItroHendo24 (6290 in chips)
Seat 4: Bosshogg29 (735 in chips)
Seat 5: 1montanaslim (4450 in chips)
Seat 6: mads777 (2195 in chips)
Seat 7: LBMikol (7890 in chips)
Seat 8: mad8390 (820 in chips)
Seat 9: BALD LAWYER (1530 in chips)

We just merged to 1 table few hands ago. As you can see I am short stack like almost every one at the table. The table has tighten up a bit.
I get this hand. I like it but not that much in that position. What to do now?

Dealt to mads777 [T :d: A :d:]

I kind of froze up and just called...

mads777: calls 400
LBMikol: folds
mad8390: folds
BALD LAWYER: folds
IggyD8503: folds
DeeRosier: folds
NItroHendo24: folds
Bosshogg29: raises 310 to 710 and is all-in
1montanaslim: calls 310

Good, now I felt that I was good against the blinds so I decided to push?

technical question: How can I push when that guy is just raising me 310?

mads777: raises 1460 to 2170 and is all-in
1montanaslim: calls 1460

to my surprise, he almost insta-called...maybe I was wrong...

Any merit to that play? or just plain bad? ...Fold pre-flop? Just push pre-flop? Thx for the feedback!

*** FLOP *** [2c 7c 7s]
*** TURN *** [2c 7c 7s] [3s]
*** RIVER *** [2c 7c 7s 3s] [Js]

result in white below:

*** SHOW DOWN ***
1montanaslim: shows [Qh Tc] (a pair of Sevens)
mads777: shows
(a pair of Sevens - Ace kicker)
mads777 collected 2920 from side pot
Bosshogg29: shows [5c As] (a pair of Sevens - lower kicker)
mads777 collected 2355 from main pot

Comments

• This hand came up in a 15+1 Turbo 2 tables SnG tonight:

This is not likely a world class field. The best overall strategy will be acquire the best hand cheaply and get it paid off.
    Dealt to mads777 [T A ]

I kind of froze up and just called...

I prefer to fold this hand UTG. My second choice is to limp in.

OK. Very small stacked player has raised. The big stacked BB has called. No surprise since he is being offered some excellent odds. I am not happy with my A-T. The SB has "something" I will put him on an ace, a pair, or two random big cards. AT isn't in a world of hurt, but it's not too happy. And, the pot is dead. There is an all-in player.

The BB's call isn't too meaningful, he could have darn near anything. Also, there is a player behind you that has entered the pot with something. Probably not a big hand, because he limped after you limped. But, a big all-in move will have to shed two players so that you can go heads up against the all-in player who you are unlikely to dominate.

I call. Pot odds call.
    Good, now I felt that I was good against the blinds so I decided to push?

technical question: How can I push when that guy is just raising me 310?

His raise of 310 is big enough to re-open the betting. You can fire away.
    mads777: raises 1460 to 2170 and is all-in
    1montanaslim: calls 1460

to my surprise, he almost insta-called...maybe I was wrong...

Yes. That's unpleasant. You can't like your hand with a caller behind you.

I have looked at the end of the hand. But, I will leave it a mystery. I will say this... back to my original statement... the player behind you is not a world class player.
  • I prefer to fold this hand UTG. My second choice is to limp in.

If you limp, do you have to call any raise? from short stack only? late position and blinds?

OK. Very small stacked player has raised. The big stacked BB has called. No surprise since he is being offered some excellent odds. I am not happy with my A-T. The SB has "something" I will put him on an ace, a pair, or two random big cards. AT isn't in a world of hurt, but it's not too happy. And, the pot is dead. There is an all-in player.

The BB's call isn't too meaningful, he could have darn near anything. Also, there is a player behind you that has entered the pot with something. Probably not a big hand, because he limped after you limped. But, a big all-in move will have to shed two players so that you can go heads up against the all-in player who you are unlikely to dominate.

I call. Pot odds call.

There was no limper behind me...only the blinds were in. I put the small blind on the same range of hand and like you say the BB on anything. So if I think I am ahead or racing with the SB, moving in is not the best play? I don't want to give a cheap flop to BB. But even if I move in, I suppose the BB would have the odds to call with almost any 2...

I suppose folding would have saved me a lot of trouble...
  • I don't like your 400 call UTG

If your gunna play the hand I say raise.
  • Oops. Yes, no player behind. And, I didn't really look at the chips counts. I would fold or move in. I don't like the limp.

But, once you do moive in I don't hate your re-raise. You *might* fold the BB and that's an awesome result if you do. If you don't, that's probably OK too since you will not hate A-T against the hands I will put him on in this spot.