What makes a pro?

Was wondering what makes a professional poker player? You hear them on tv refer to such and such as a pro and I have never heard it explained on what the parameteres are for becoming one. I would assume it would have something to do along the lines of gathering ones main source of income from playing and it being defined as a job for tax purposes.

I don't believe there is any governing body for poker , so there would be no status requirements to meet such a standard to become a pro.

Just wondering?

Comments

• I would assume it would have something to do along the lines of gathering ones main source of income from playing

Yeah, that's pretty much it I think.
    and it being defined as a job for tax purposes.

Well, not necessarily.
    I don't believe there is any governing body for poker , so there would be no status requirements to meet such a standard to become a pro.

No, there is not. When you hear someone referred to as a prefessional poker player (on the WPT episodes for example), in some sense it technically doesn't mean anything.

ScottyZ
  • And until you are on the WPT you still retain your amateur status so you are good for when they introduce poker in the olympics (go gold 2012)! :P