NLH tournament @ York U on the 8th of May

Sorry for the wait. Lots of stuff happening in my world. BUT ....

Exams are over, the rooms are once again available to us. I am therefore pleased to announce a NLH tournament, to be held on May 8th, on York University Campus. Those of you whose contact info I already have will be receiving your invites shortly. Anyone else interested, please either respond here or PM me. If you receive an invite and know of others who want in, please let me know so I can add them to the guest list.

Details:

Suntay May 8, 2005
Registration 2:00-3:15
Start 3:30
$50 buy in w/ a $50 reload after an hour
no rake taken as usual
contributions for food are always welcome (I suggest b/w $3-5)
88 seats available
Starting chips will be either $2500 or $3000 - TBD shortly
Additional chips at reload will be the same as the starting amount
We usually pay the top 10% (usually the final table)
Blinds start at 25/50 and increase every 1/2 hour
Blind structure will be:

25/50 round 1
50/100 round 2
100/200 round 3
200/400 round 4
400/800 round 5
500/1000 round 6
1000/2000 round 7
2000/4000 round 8
4000/8000 round 9
5000/10000 round 10 (we have never made it past round 10)

Rough payout structure (meaning I usually calculate to make round numbers once all funds are in):

1st 30%
2nd 20%
3rd 15%
4th 10%
5th 7%
6th 7%
7th 5%
8th 5% (I know this adds up to 99% - it's just an idea of the distribution)

Good luck all.

Comments

• Thanks for the invite. Will it be legal to expose cards while the hand is in progress?
  • I just graduated last year from York....soooo many hours wasted playing poker in bethune dinning hall... Anyways, count me in for the tourny.

Hazeus
  • literation wrote:
    Thanks for the invite.  Will it be legal to expose cards while the hand is in progress?

Not really, but I ain't calling campus security, if that's what you mean. We haven't had that much trouble with this have we? I forget these things. I think I am more concerned about people table talking than exposing cards.
  • sweet...i'm new to the forum, but an avid player and live in the york area.
    great idea with the reload (as a pose to actual rebuys)...i'm a big freeze-out fan, but don't mind the single add-on. (does this mean that if you go all-in in the first hour and loose you're out for good and can't add on again?)
  • That's exactly what it means. A little more skill, a little less bingo, a little bigger pots.

We do generally run either a second tourney, although that's a pain in the butt, or sit n go's if you get nuked in the first hour.
  • 2/3 of the seats are gone, so if you have not yet received an invite and you have played in one of our games before, please msg me and I will resend the invite.

Also, if you have never played, please drop me a note and I will add you to our list.

Cheers all
  • I'm interested....... any seats left?? Can you send details re location, etc. Thanks
  • well, it's at York U.

send me an email and I shall add you to the list. You get an invite from a website called tiltcentral, who manages my invite and waiting list for me.

yorkpoker@yahoo.com
  • So, from reading a few of the posts today, I thin we all learned a lesson: As hard as we all talk, mothers are more important than poker.

We did manage to get our game going, with 30 of the finest people. We laughed, we cried, we won some Golden Palace merch. The first out, who lost to a lousy-gut-shot-4-outer-so-I-don't-really-blame-him, is a forumite and shall remain nameless. But if he mentions here, feel free to tease him :)

A great, friendly, smooth game. Some interesting moves, some very poor calls, and some general silliness. (eg.) Guy has to leave to go meet mom for BBQ. He has 1600 in chips (average stack has to be around 3500 or so) and the blinds are 200-400. He goes all in blind under the gun and rivers two pair (AJ :s:) to beat another 2 pair. Nice, everyone had a laugh (except the other two pair). I walk away for something and come back while he's on the puck and he is now the chip leader. Little things like that.

Cheers.
  • Thank you for the offer.  I feel the need to reply as it will both surprise and confuse my CNPL.ca compadres.  I busted with AQ after a fairly non threatening flop gave me top pair top kicker.  But hey, if they're going to let me get all my money in preflop with AA (vs. KK) in a ring game - I'm going to get all my money in @ level 1 of a tourney when I discern the guy has, at best, a flush draw with only one card to come.

Thanks for organizing another York U event!
  • I was playing at that table and there was two attempts to go all in and go have dinner with mom and dad. I busted out short staked and left with him as chip leader. The other even funnier incident was after your conversation about Q2 being the favorite hand of an associate. He showed up with Q2 down and folded as did all to a raise pre-flop. Then checking the flop sure enough it had Q2 as well. The event was great fun. Well done Yorkpoker.
  • lol, i was the guy who called the guy who went all-in blind cause he had to leave. he ended up having AJ against my KQ and we both hit two pairs. and i WAS LAUGHING, i couldnt really help but do anything else. it was a well run tournament, i ended up making a nice comeback and got inside the final 4 out of 30 players, before i held JJ against chip leader (3rd in chips at this point). raise 3x BB pre-flop he calls, flops come 865, he bets out, i raise all-in (about 2x his bet, he shrugs and calls, turns over 44) and naturally the 7 falls on the turn to give him the straight. oh well, it was a good game considering the number of ppl.
  • Funny how randomness works. Sorry it was you, but it was fun to watch.

See you next time.
  • If I schedule a game for the long weekend, I think we al get hosed, so I will schedule one for the weekend after that. I believe that means that the next York game is going to be on May 29th at 3 pm sharp. I am going to actually start the game at 3, and if you are more than 1/2 hour late, no game for you.

It isn't that hard to be on time. Honest.

I will send out details and post them here shortly.