Would you lay this down????

OK I was playing in a home game.

$20 max buyin NL
$.25/$.50 blinds

We play for big money!! hehehe

Anyway, I was on bb and had 3 6.  A couple of limpers and the button raises $1.  I called because the raiser often raises with garbage, plus he had position.

Flop comes down 3 3 6.  I had to look twice, then i gave one of those looks (a very brief look) when you have AK and you see that flop.

I check, gets checked around to the button and he bets another $1.50.  I call a couple more callers. 

A comes on the turn.  I check again, button raises to $5 (I put him on A and high kicker) 

River comes another rag.  I check, he bets $5, and I reraise $15.  He then re raises me all in (Another $10).  I lay down.

Any guesses what he had?  Would you have layed it down?

I did find out what he had.

Comments

• You have to think ... what is the best possible hand.
    Higher full house - he needs to have 66 or A6 or AA in his hand.
    Four of a kind - not on the threes because you have one. Impossible on the 6's.
    Straight flush - not likely, but not sure since you didn't include suits.

For these limits, and with the other full house options, I would call.
  • Horrid laydown. When you push in over 60% of your stack on your $15 raise, you commit yourself to showdown.
  • I agree with BBC, by my quick math there's at least 60 bucks in the pot by now. 6:1 on a call with a boat is a no brainer. I mean if you're going to limp with 63 for a buck and won't call an allin with the boat, why are you even limping in with this hand to begin with? I guess you must have had a HUGE read he was on AA, but I'm going to pay it off on that board. I also find your setup a little interesting: 20 buyin NL with BB of a buck, stacks seem pretty shallow to even play a hand, let alone trying an implied odds limp. And I thought the .25-50 home game with 40 buck buyin made the stacks too shallow relative to the blinds... :)
  • To add to the list of possible better hands it looks like A3 should be on that list.  I think the hand itself should have been played more aggressively.  More information would be obtained with a reraise off the flop. I do not want any overpair to hit a higher boat and if they want to try they need to pay.   As for the way you played the hand I would have called (probably lost) but you have to call with the money in the pot.  Did he have A3 or pp6's??  Let us know.
  • I call.

You have played the hand "weak" by waiting until the river to c/r. If I am in his seat your c/r looks suspcious to me. So, I think you are beat with your 3-6, but I think you have to call because your play has opened the hand to a fairly wide range of hands on his part.

Having said that, at these limits and stacks sizes you probably have to call no matter what happens. You've only got 20 big blinds in your stack (I know it's cash game). It's very hard to imagine a betting sequence that will be adequate to let you fold unless you know THIS player very, very well.
  • I call as well.

I have a feeling you're going to tell us that he did indeed have you beat and if that is case, then I bust out. I still wouldn't fold here.

You also have to look at how he bet the flop. His $1.50 isn't that much. He is not showing any power. A re-raise on your part would have been prudent.

Lastly you had enough money in the pot to call.

I am waiting to hear he had the A3. Either way I would have called. It would be a tough loss.
  • ok, so back to the story.....

after the river, when my buddy bet me all in.

I looked at him and asked him if he had a good hand... he said second best.

So I asked him if he had pocket rockets and he said yes. I know the pot odds were there and I was pot committed.

Anyway, I layed down and he flipped up rockets.

I dont know how I could have gotten him off that hand even after the flop unless I bet all in and flashed my boat??
  • redlude2k wrote:

$.50/$1 blinds

sorry blinds were $0.25/$0.50
  • A very easy call. This is not a call based on its own merit, but it is so due to the fact that you cannot have possibly made the river check-raise to $15 (or to $20, depending on what convention you use) without the intention of calling the final $10 more.

This brings up an important point. While you must always be thinking ahead both within betting rounds and to the future rounds, it is doubly important to understand the consequenses of failing to close the action during any betting round (particularly the river) when you have the opportunity to do so. Re-opening the action to your opponent(s) when the reward for doing so is inadequate (or equivalently, failing to charge your opponent a large enough price for the opportunity to act again) is a common and subtle error.

You give up a lot of EV here by betting some partial amount of your stack (which is shallow) with the intention of folding, since your hand is so likely to be the winner at a show down. An over-simplified way to think of it is that you're giving up (since you intend to fold to further action) an excellent chance to win a $25 pot in order to try to grab an extra $10 (or $15) value bet.

While check-raising with the intention of folding to a re-raise on the river is probably a poor plan of attack, if you actually check-raised with no thought at all to what your intention was, then that would be a major error.

The bottom line is that by raising by $10 (or $15) more on the river, you must be convinced that your hand is good enough to call the last $10, being such a small amount in excess. If you think ahead and see yourself folding if your opponent moves in for the extra $10, then why not just call the river and show down the possible winner?

Betting (or check-raising) as a bluff can't really be a consideration, because it would have to be a world class fold for your opponent to fold better than your 3's full of 6's. The only hand you could possibly fold for the last $10 on the river with the betting pattern you executed here is a stone cold bluff.

Your opponent has AA.

ScottyZ
  • Your opponent has AA.

Dang it. If only I had finished my post 2 minutes quicker...

ScottyZ
  • I've read somewhere never to slowplay bottom set, followed by never slowplay bottom full house (they are just too vulnerable). Would an all-in on the flop caused AA to fold? Maybe, maybe not.

I think I would have bet big on the flop.
  • I too would have called in this situation... the pot is too big
    Having flopped a boat, you don't want AA to fold in this situation...so how to get him to fold is irrelevant.