Playing Tournaments Exclusively - Feasable to make steady money?

Is it feasable to use exclusively tournament playing as a way to make a steady income?

I've done well in tournaments over the time I've played, and I'd like to use poker as a way to bring in a little extra cash, nothing huge, I'm not talking about going pro or even semi-pro, but just be able to make a somewhat steady side-income.

I hate playing limit, since I'm forced to play at lower limits and there is just way too many chasers and the variance is way too high for my likings.

I realize tournaments are also high variance for coming in first, but placing in the money is more consistant. Also, I like the high return to risk ratio tournaments provide, which cash games don't. With the large ammount of guarunteed prize pool, high volume tournaments available online (where first can be up to 200X the buyin), the risk:reward on some of them can be VERY heavy towards the reward side.

So my question is, is it possible to make money steadily playing tournaments, or is cash game play the only way to make a fairly consistant income, say on a monthly basis?

Comments

• No Limit cash games?

Like it or not, the easiest way to get your hands on the cold green is cash games..
  • I've had pretty good success with NL cash games, particularly on Pacific Poker where the cash games are extremely weak.

I'd likely go back there for cash games if need be, I'd just prefer to stick to tournaments as much as possible.
  • My only problem with tourneys is the time required.

I tend towards SNGs where I can be done in about 60-90 minutes. I have won about 1.25X my investment in SNG games right now.

I suppose I may have a different view on tourneys if I ever won one.

Maybe I will start with the Team Canuck Poker tourney, I hear it is right full of fish. LOL

Trev
  • I think its a good idea to stick to tourneys,  i quit playing on-line cash tables and sngs, and stick to tourneys now, and I have been doing allot better, the only problem sometimes is the time factor.  I still play cash games, but only live.  another problem is you cant rely on having a winning month every month, but after 6 mos or so it should average OK.
  • Is it feasable to use exclusively tournament playing as a way to make a steady income?

Yes. On member of Team Canuck Poker plays tournaments exclusively and does very well.
    I hate playing limit, since I'm forced to play at lower limits and there is just way too many chasers and the variance is way too high for my likings.

Limit is MUCH lower variance than no-limit. Variance being the size of the oscilation. Oscilations will be MUCH higher in no-limit if you compare it to a similar size limit game.

I realize tournaments are also high variance for coming in first, but placing in the money is more consistant. Also, I like the high return to risk ratio tournaments provide, which cash games don't. With the large ammount of guarunteed prize pool, high volume tournaments available online (where first can be up to 200X the buyin), the risk:reward on some of them can be VERY heavy towards the reward side.
    No. This is not accurate. The risk/reward is a pure function of the tournament pay out structure. Do no become enamored with the BIG prizes. They are that big because they are THAT HARD TO WIN.
    So my question is, is it possible to make money steadily playing tournaments, or is cash game play the only way to make a fairly consistant income, say on a monthly basis?

Both are possible. Cash games will be flatter then touranments.