I hate limit!!!!

:evil:
Arg! Party Poker's single table tournaments are down so im forced to go to limit poker. I HATE IT!! Cant play it, people play crazy! ARG! Im losing my bankroll here! :evil: :x

Comments

• Limit is a much more tactical game, you can't just push people out with your stack. I actually find it a much better game as it eliminates those crazy players you refer to. If you are going to a showdown you better have a hand.
  • Sometimes I enjoy limit and sometimes I enjoy no-limit ... the problem with limit is you can not make a meaningful bet and as a result, it makes it difficult to bluff.

Similarily it makes it difficult to actually "think" in a limit game. What I mean by that is so many of the situations are automatic that really trying to figure out where you are in a hand isn't a skill you work on very often. Here is an example:

Say you are playing and you flop two pair. On the river a flush card comes and your opponent bets out. In no-limit because the bet (can be large) you really have to determine whether your hand is good or not. In limit, when you are fairly confident you are losing, a call is almost always right.

It is mathematically really -- in limit when the opponent makes the final bet the pot is laying you maybe 9:1 so a call with a reasonable hand is required. After all the guy only needs to be bluffing (or losing) around 10% of the time to make your call right.

Where in no-limit if the person makes a big bet on the river you might be forced to call a bet where the pot would only be laying you 2:1. Now you have to be right a lot more of the time for your call to be correct. :)
  • so the best kind of game would be NL shorthanded games :?:
  • It really depends on your set of skills. For me, shorthanded no limit games are really my bread&butter (especially live). The problem online is that without being able to get a read on the player it really hampers your abilities.

So your no limit game really becomes quite mechanical and attempting to "pick off" a bluff really becomes a matter of pot odds coupled with previous plays from that player / betting patterns.

I have enjoyed the shorthanded no limit games ... but again they are quite small ($100 buy-in) so you can usually make more playing 5-10 or 10-20 short (games which the players are quite bad and are mostly mechanical in nature so being there facing the player doesn't give you a huge advantage).

I am going to write a message on the variuos games and which is most fun (IMHO). Maybe I will type some stuff about what games are best based on your skill set. You would, naturally, have to be quite good and analyzing your strengths and weaknesses (most are not).
  • kwplayer wrote:
    the problem with limit is you can not make a meaningful bet and as a result, it makes it difficult to bluff.

I agree it is more difficult to bluff but in gerneral disagree with this comment. What exactly is a "meaningful bet", a large one to eliminate the pot odds? If so okay, but in limit a meaningful bet can be achived by table image and check raising among various other statagies that you can employ to turn the pot odds out of favour against a draw. I find table position and image is much more valuable in the limit games.

However like you; sometimes I enjoy limit and sometimes I enjoy no-limit, it is all-in your current mood :P