Some People Must Be Losing

i'm sure there's an obvious answer, but i think it's kind of funny that i keep hearing about how much people are winning by playing online poker.
it's great that you're winning, but there must be people losing...i suppose they just don't write about it...

but, seriously, it just seems as if if you're not playing online poker, you're missing out on a lot of money...because it seems that so many people are winning...seems...

Comments

• Those who lose big are not on this board. The reason is because they just go play poker for fun and do not think of it as a job or something more important. So because they are not a real enthusiast of poker, they would not be on message boards.
  • I agree that the typical poster on a poker forum is going to be (in general) more skilled than the average player. At the most basic level, reading and/or posting to a poker forum likely indicates a higher than usual level of desire to learn about poker.

Poker Tracker and I have so far observed 867 unique cash game players, of which 387 are currently winners and 487 are currently losers.

ScottyZ
  • I am willing to admit that I might be the only one that cant beat online poker on this forum. Im always stuck and I suck!

I think it is a loss of control I experiance when in front of a computer monitor that I dont have happen in a live game. Actualy I do but not as often.

Anyone else go through this? Am I the only freakin one?

I have had people say they can beat online but not live poker but I think im the only one who at least admits they are a HUGE ONLINE FISH. Most of the time.....
  • I would like to point out that was posting number 20 Neil!
    Does this count as 21?

Scotty if I give you my password will you post another 55 for me so I get a prize?:)

Please?
  • Scotty if I give you my password will you post another 55 for me so I get a prize?

No way. They told me that if I get to 75,000 posts, I get to become the CEO of Canadian Poker Player Magazine. 8)

ScottyZ
  • I am even online.
    Not good. Not bad. Soon to be good hopefully...

I was only playing $5-$10 sit n go's, then I finally went to the $.50/$1.00 NL cash table won some money, lost some money....Lost my balls basically and I am trying to make a little $$ on the sit n go's before I head back to the cash game..
  • I had just two bad games in a row. :(
    I was holding pocket aces and the flop came 55A. This guy went all in and so did I. He wasn't holding double 5 but A5 so he had the 5overA and I had Aover5. River card was a 5. I lost and game over.

Another time I had Nuts flush from the flop, and the guy fished me out for a full house.

Not good!
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    Scotty if I give you my password will you post another 55 for me so I get a prize?

No way. They told me that if I get to 75,000 posts, I get to become the CEO of Canadian Poker Player Magazine. 8)

ScottyZ

ScottyZ if ya get 750,000 post do ya get to be PM for a day/month/year/fullterm

if not, maybe ya get mike sexton's job :D

:shock: :mrgreen: heheh
  • Unfortunately, if I get all the way to 750,000 posts, I believe the forum server will just crash...

ScottyZ
  • Another bad loss! Playing the $100+9 table at PP.com
    Im holding TJ
    Flop shows 279 everyone checks
    Turn shows 8 this one guy goes all in and I call, he has more chips than me.
    He has tripple and I have nuts straight with no flush draw, river comes a 2!!!!
  • My online results have been quite good actually but my tournament results are HORRIBLE. I think this is the exact opposite from poster #21 up there. I think a big part of it has been playing short sessions and picking good games. Online you lose some of your normal advantage (reading people) but you gain things like table selection (since there are a million tables).

Dunno ... I never met someone that said they lost playing online poker, but I am sure there must be losers. :) Or maybe Party Poker is some sort of charitable instituation that is making us all winners! hehehe
  • Or maybe Party Poker is some sort of charitable instituation that is making us all winners! hehehe

You know what, this thought has crossed my mind before. What if, to attract business, PartyPoker actually peppers its games with bad players playing with house money? I'm not talking just about typical prop players, but what about players specifically playing on the site with the intention of losing?

I have recently been thinking about why I play at Party myself.

Good software? No.
    Good customer support? No.
    Good implementation of the finer poker rules points? No.
    Safety and security? To some extent.
    Poor quality of opponents? Hell, yes.

The reason I think this is plausible is how much they make off the rake. I have been doing well lately, but I have paid almost as much rake as the size of my winnings. (Poker Tracker keeps track of the rake.) It's possible that Party could still generate significant profits by putting a portion of it's rake back into play (in addition to promos, bonuses, etc) in the form of well-funded fish, purely as marketing.

Note that Party could also implement the same strategy less directly (and possibly more ethically) by simply offereing lots of promos and bonuses to players which Party *observes* to be bad players.

Of course, I also can't refute the non-suspiscious theory that there are just *loads* of bad poker players out there.

ScottyZ
  • my first attempt at online poker I was a loser..lost 2 50 $ buyins

A year or so later I tried it again after some more play and reading and did quite good.
  • ComaU wrote:
    im the only one who at least admits they are a HUGE ONLINE FISH. Most of the time.....

For no particular reason I was wondering what site you play on, and what screen name you use?

lol just kidding bud hehehe
  • I agree that most of the people on this forum probably know a little more about poker than the next guy. Why else are we here right?
  • I've only played online 5 times now. I only play the cheap .50/1 tables and start with $10. Once that is gone some am I. So far I've only lost that 1 time. All the other times I've come out on top. I'm up somewhere around $90. Nothing big but it's a start. If I can get up to $150 I'll move up to a bigger table.
  • The people that lose a lot don't really care about there play and will call 50+% of the time with garbage. People who want to win read books, watch others play, and talk to others about there strategies. Also, some people are there just to play because poker is hot right now and they want to get into the action, maybe they heard about Amateur Moneymaker winning the 2.5 mill and they want to try that. All that matters is that they are giving me money :D
  • yes poker is gaining popularity right now exponentially. With the WPT and the improvement in the quality of the ESPN WSOP coverage, its only going to grow stronger. And with Moneymaker and Varkonyi winning the last 2 years it helps to prove that "anyone can win"!
  • I would re-phrase that last part just a bit. lol

"And with Moneymaker and Varkonyi winning the last 2 years it helps to maintain the illusion that "anyone can win"!

But thanks to that "illusion" and the large pool of new fish it brings in, we can make money regularly at the lower dollar tables, if we play our cards right. lol
  • correction noted :D