How much should you be scared of the flush draw on the flop?

We play a weekly game at lunch at my office. Since we have to be all done in 1 hour or less, we only buy in for $2, get 50 chips and double the blinds every 10 minutes. Ok, now that the history it out of the way, time to get to the "How would you play it? part.

I am in the SB with J5 :d:
All fold to me, so I limp in, BB checks.

Flop comes down JT5, all :h: Sweet, two pair! But beware the flush draw (theme from Jaws starts in my head)

I bet 8 chips (standard raise).
BB raises 10 more, for only about 1/4 of his stack.

I figure he is just trying to scare me off with 3 hearts on the table. Might have 1 :h:, he usually sees a lot of draws to the river then folds if he has nothing. So I just called.

I will wait for some comments and then reply how the rest of the hand went down.

Thanks,
Adam.

Comments

• It's an unraised pot. Doyle says don't go broke on an unraised pot...

He could have trips or 2 pr or a draw. Hard to tell. I guess you have to go with your feel for how the player plays certain hands.

If you are willing to see it to the river anyway, you might as well push now.
  • It's a quick action tournament. You need to take every edge you have. I call. If no heart comes on the turn, I bewt out 1/2 the pot. If he has the cojones to move in on me there I fold.
  • Thanks for the feedback Dave. That probably would have been a better way to play it.

As I mentioned, I called. The next card was a :h:, he bet the same 10 chips, so went all in figuring that he was bluffing with all black cards under. We flipped up the hands and he had a heart. So he hit the flush on the turn. I was stuck needed either a J or a 5 on the river, which ended up being a 2.

As with most tales on this board, I am out of the tourney and thanks to the reply, a little wiser.

Adam.