Losing a Friend

Zeke came into my life 14 years ago. I received him as a gift for my birthday. He has been a great source of comfort and a great companion! On Thursday he didn't seem to be doing well and on Friday I took him to the vet. He messaged me today he recommends putting him down on Monday if there is no improvement.

Zeke has been everywhere with me. Many who attended West Side Poker many years ago have met him. He went to South Korea with me when I taught over there and when I decided to move to South America last year, I knew he would never see Canada again.

If you don't have a dog, it may be hard to imagine the feelings you go through as he is going through this tramua. I am glad the vet put a clock on it as I don't want him to suffer.

He has been a dear friend and I pray it isn't his time to go, but if it is, it has been a great 14 years together!

I will let you know on Monday what the vet says is best for him!

Brent

Comments

• Sorry for your loss Brent. Losing a pet is always tough.
  • Toughest thing in the world is doing what’s right for the dog when we aren’t ready to let go. Hopefully it isn’t time yet.
  • Best wishes for Zeke!
  • Happy Trails Zeke, I do remember him well...
  • Hope he pulls through this tough time.
  • So I didn't like hearing I probably would have to put him down on Monday.

I decided to email Doc, Larry, a vet many here have played poker with. Larry has been Zeke's Vet since he was a puppy 14 years ago. I decided to email the converation I had had with the Vet here in Brazil. Even though it was Saturday Larry got back to me with a diagnosis and treatment.

I forwarded the email to the vet here in brazil and he found some of the things Larry was discribing in a journal. He started the treatment. Today when I went to see him he was alert, happy to see me, even took a few kernals of food from my hand.

The Vet said after he finished the first treatment he would follow up with another one Tuesday! I said Tuesday, he said yes, I think he is going to make it unless the lab work comes back and says he has cancer or something.

Just wanted to publically thank Larry and the vet here, for not being offended I got a second opinion and gave him the treatment.

Thanks for the comments, it looks like he will survive this round!
  • Great news !! Keep us posted and nicely done getting a second opinion from another Hemisphere !
  • Poker players are never wrong....
  • Hopefully some good news there
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    Hopefully some good news there

So after much delays, I am being told Zeke doesn't have cancer! has still wasn't eating until late today. The vet said he wants to give him more meds on Thursday and believes that I should be able to bring him home Friday.

I am so glad Larry helped me out on a Saturday, provide a treatment that wasn't prolonging pain and keeping him alive as the vet here said it was a real possiblity he may have had to been put down yesterday.

Thanks for the best wish!
    Brent
  • Thanks for all your thoughts for Zeke. I got him 14 years ago on Saturday as a birthday gift. Tomorrow I get to pick him up from the vet. He is ready to come home! Not coming home this summer or Christmas so I will just say ...

Thanks Again for all the comments,

Brent
  • Wow! What a rough roller coaster ride! When a dog gets to be a certain age, you know you're on borrowed time, but it doesn't make it any easier, especially when you've been through so much together. Having a dog is the greatest time for your life followed by the worst time of your life.

I feel for you, pal.

Btw, i'll be sure and thank Larry for you tonight by taking all his money. :D
  • Brent . . . I am so happy you had a successful outcome with Zeke. I am among many who remember him from West Side days. We have had to make that choice with three of our furry friends in the last year, so I am happy that you received a better outcome for yours. Don't hang around much these days, but something niggled at me to check in.

My very best wishes to you and Zeke, and a hat tip to Doc Larry for being such a mensch.

Anthony
  • IMG-20180817-WA0000.jpg

October 15, 2003 - March 18, 2019. He lived his life on 3 continents. He was a faithful companion and was loved by many! He will be missed but not forgotten! Thanks for the memories Ezekiel "Zeke" Daniel Wilson
  • Sorry to hear of your loss Brent.
  • Very sad to hear Brent. Rest in peace Zeke.
  • Damn, sounded so promising too... condolences for sure
  • Really sorry to hear Brent.
  • Thanks for the update Brent. Sorry he couldn't be with you for longer.
  • Sorry for your loss Brent. Never an easy time. Take care.
  • So sorry Brent.
  • Thanks for all the comments throughout this thread! I certainly feel better knowing everything was tried but about 1:30 am today I knew it was over and the best thing for him was to go to sleep forever.

Thanks again!

Brent
  • Aaahh, Jeez, Brent . . . it sounded so promising. My sincerest condolences for your loss. As you say, at least you did all you could to give him every chance. It is never an easy thing, but I will leave you with a quote that has helped me through this tough time . . .

They are not meant to be our lifelong long companions, we are meant to be theirs.
  • Sorry for your loss Brent