Tournament Frustration

Tonight I played an MTT (670 players) and we were down to roughly 35 players. I have 32k and AK two off the button. I have everyone covered, and raise all-in trying to pick up the blinds/antes. Of course the guy with the most chips out of the bunch calls me with QQ and I lose the coinflip to him leaving me with 8k. I would of been roughly 4th if I had won it.

I then build the 8k back up to 15k. I pick up QQ in early to middle position and raise all-in. At this point 15k isnt going to last long, and I'm not going to get a better chance to win many chips. 30k would give me a legit shot at the final table and 1st place. I'm called by a guy who barely has me covered, and he has 99. I'm happy until he flops his set and im done. So long three hours.

Now, it's not just one tournament gone bad. I've had about 4 or 5 of these in the last month. One that I specifcally recall losing with an over pair to a drawn set, and a few more were coinflips late that would either "make or break" my tournament... and broke me.

It always seems to be with around 30 players left also. Am I doing anythign wrong? I have to stay aggressive with these hands, right?

Chris "twenty-something place" Jensen

Comments

• There's aggression and then there's recklessness.

Your hands were good, but was an all-in bet necessary with the AK? You could have gone to 5xBB and the result would be the same except the amount of chips you tossed. AK is very hard to play. Much easier when you are the short stack and you want to be all-in.

For the QQ, hard to say. If your stack was in peril, that was the best situation you could hope for. The other guy was looking for a chance to double up too and he got lucky. That's poker.
  • Nice playing.. Tournaments are high variance..

I think you played both well expect for your reasoning on going all-in with AK. You would go all-in if you are looking for a coin-flip double up opportunity.. Not to steal the blinds. Anyway, late in tournaments, it degenerates into an all-in pushfest anyway so I dont think anyone at the table will let you get away with a 5xBB preflop raise if they have any decent hand..
  • BBC Z wrote:
    I dont think anyone at the table will let you get away with a 5xBB preflop raise if they have any decent hand..
    Hey! Looks who's off my 'ignore list'. Amazing what a system upgrade can do...

Believe it or not, I agree with your reasoning. My point was that if someone behing Chris woke up with a real hand, the harm would be reduced. Someone with garbage and a smaller stack would be a bit foolish to throw away 5xBB. If Chris gets a raiser, he can get away from the hand if he wants. If he gets a caller, it can get tricky. The flop and his opponent's play will determine how he proceeds.
  • Sorry. I should have been more clear. I was hoping to pick up the blinds and antes, but I was also more than willing to take a coinflip. If I doubled up I would have the commanding chip lead at my table, and If I lost, I still had some chips to make a stand with.

I guess it was more of a rant than anything. I have played some solid poker lately in mtt's (I think) but It seems I've been on the shortend of that one coinflip i need late in a tourney to secure my final table spot. A few times I have even been a huge favorite and busted. It's just a hopeless feeling. Im sick of playing 3 hours only to triple my buy-in. I'd sooner bust in the first 5 minutes.
  • Chris wrote:
    It's just a hopeless feeling. Im sick of playing 3 hours only to triple my buy-in. I'd sooner bust in the first 5 minutes.

Disclaimer:  I don't play many tournys.

Perhaps.  For me it would depend on the buyin because I know my hourly rate.  Three times the buyin could be a good day.

Of course we're talking about you.  Reads like you're close to a breakthrough.
  • Chris wrote:
    I was also more than willing to take a coinflip. If I doubled up I would have the commanding chip lead at my table, and If I lost, I still had some chips to make a stand with.
    My take on the situation is that with a big stack, you don't need to take coin flips. Why risk all that time and effort on a 50/50 shot? You are not in a desperate situation by any means.

There's a good argument to be made for taking coin flips in the first little while when you do value your time and have alternative uses for it that could be more lucrative. Excellent concept.

When you had the queens you were desperate AND you had a big edge. Great time for an all-in. Too bad it didn't work for you.
  • One of my recent Tourny breakthroughs is playing the Big stack, and Keeping the big stack.

Basically when i have say 2x average or so in a tourney I stop looking for the coin flip play and instead concetrate on just building in increments my stack. What this means is that while I will raise with AK AQ KQ and small pairs hoping to take the blind, I will quite often fold to an all in bet that has the potential of damaging my standing. I try and leave myself more Fold Equity these days when I have chips in front of me.

I had quite a hard time for a while that when I would get a chip lead (say being in the top 10-20% of the field). I would start pushing to hard and try and double up what I already had. I forgot that the tournament play is more about distance than speed. Yes you want a decent stack at the end and you will not get there without some risk but you should always be looking at the big picture. Personally the time I really start pushing is right around the bubble. Since that is when most short stack will push with less than premium hands just hoping for a double up and making the money.

Your later play with QQ was a good one in my opinion you just got unlucky.

Just my 2 cents
  • garro wrote:
    while I will raise with AK AQ KQ and small pairs hoping to take the blind, I will quite often fold to an all in bet that has the potential of damaging my standing. I try and leave myself more Fold Equity these days when I have chips in front of me.
    I like this strategy. As you get close to the bubble and with proper position, you can also raise with anything against the short stacks in the blinds. Only the best hands will fight back.
  • 10 dollar buy in tourney on pokerstar 1200 entry. 174 left and 135 get paid. Im on the button with aces. Everyone folds but the big blind and i only call to get some action after the flop. Flops come J/Raggs Rainbow.
    The big blind bets out (about 600 i think) Im thinking he as a Jack and i can go in for the kill. I triple bet him 1200 and he goes all in. Call on the spot and he turns J/8. Perfect for me until the 8 of clubs on the turn. Before this i add 9000 in chip and he add 11000. I could have doubled right there and get in shape for the rest of tourney but the poker gods where against me. I keep thinking that is all-in move was not the way to go with a poor kicker like that but wathamy to do.
  • The bubble is a good concept Garro. I like the analogy. Being in the late stages of a tourney, with a few more to go to the bubble, is like a bubble in itself. People start doing strange things then. Some clam up, some get aggressive. Pick on the clams I say. lol It's the hump point, or that's what I call it. Decisions become more crucial. A bad one here costs money/position. Survival is everything though. That should be your guide.