Blind vs Blind - MTT Live Tournament

The blinds are 2k / 4k no ante - folds to the SB who completes, BB checks, they each have approximately 120k and are the chip leaders of the tournament

SB has A-Jos

Flops comes A-9-3 rainbow, SB leads for $4k, BB raises to 25k - SB re-raises to 50k with 60k behind - BB jams

If you are SB do you fold or do you have to call (pot committed), what are you putting the BB on ?

Comments

• SB first mistake is not raising preflop. I don't care if chip leader is on the left or not, I'm making him pay to see the flop. So mistake 1 is flatting pre out of position. That said, once you take that line your basically setting a trap and have 2 options. The first is in the situation above being able to fold to a reraise as you will have no idea where you are in the hand and getting away from it. After all there was no raise preflop to narrow a range. Second option when taking this line is check calling to keep his bluffs in and evaluate turn and river. Example check call flop, check check turn lead out small value river if it seems likely to miss but be prepared to fold to reraise on river with only 1 pair. That said, by flatting here he's likely to check back A9 A3 33 and 93 combos. Also likely to have a hand like 44 55 66 77 88 and check back pre to see a flop and be able to push you off a weak ace or even a 9.

So my takeaway is 1 make them pay to see the flop or passively trap to keep their bluffs in but be willing to fold on later streets to a reraise after a value bet unless you improve.
  • I'm never 3 betting on this board on the flop, its pretty meaningless. folds whats behind and gets better to continue. call evaluate turn and river. prob not folding many turns/river since the hand is under-repped. I don;t mind the llimp, I actually like it.

As played, puke on the table and call the hand void.

If thats not allowed, then fold.. noone 4 bets there with a bluff, its not 2003 :(
  • You haven't given enough info.

You have 30 bigs and are one of the chip leaders so I'll assume this is final table.

What is your image?
    What is your opponent's image?
    How about everyone else?

Can you just click the 'sit out' button and easily move up the pay scale?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
  • I am actually the big blind in this scenario. My image is irrelevant, in this game, no one is paying attention. This was with 12 players left, top 10 are in the money.
  • djgolfcan wrote: »
    I am actually the big blind in this scenario. My image is irrelevant, in this game, no one is paying attention. This was with 12 players left, top 10 are in the money.

93 or 33s?
  • So your opponent is brain dead and hit trips on the river?

• If your in the big blind then I'd say i would put you A9 A3 93 3322-88 and if you checked behind with 99 and AA then you sir like to live dangerously. Even 66-88 checking back can be dangerous.

That said I remove all under pairs to the 9 when it's jammed on the flop as if you get it in here feeling he must call because he is pot committed it's a pretty losing play. Possibly a K9 thinking no way player limped An Ace and 2nd pair top kicker is pretty good there too.

What did you have and what were the results?
  • He had limped his SB prior to this with an ace as well. When he raised my flop bet, I knew he had a big ace. I had A-3 was trying to get him to fold. If I take it down there, I have $170k in chips, the chip leader going into the final table.
    If he calls, he has 6 outs to virtually eliminate me. Of course, he calls, has A-J and a Jack hits the turn. I do like the Cave, but it can be frustrating, lol.
    This was the season ending tournament freeroll, $800 up top to the winner. I like my chances with 1/3 of the chips in play if I hold that one.
  • Wait. You put him squarely on a bigger Ace, but want him to fold? Your not jamming a flush draw here with the hopes of having fold equity. You have him dead to 6 outs from what I can see. You always want that call. Just need to run better.
  • UBetIFold wrote: »
    Wait. You put him squarely on a bigger Ace, but want him to fold? Your not jamming a flush draw here with the hopes of having fold equity. You have him dead to 6 outs from what I can see. You always want that call. Just need to run better.

That's my problem, I don't run good. If it was a cash game, different story, but the variance in tournaments is so high, I would rather not have to worry about losing 30% of the time. Get it in as a 70% favourite 4 times and you are destined to lose one of them.
  • Typical DJ post.

That's my problem, I don't run good. If it was a cash game, different story, but the variance in tournaments is so high, I would rather not have to worry about losing 30% of the time. Get it in as a 70% favourite 4 times and you are destined to lose one of them.
    I take exception to this post... I seem to remember several times getting it all in against you over the years and always losing. You run just fine, it's just your selective memory.. I'll take those odds every time, all day, all year, Cave or no Cave... lol, see you Friday..

And Greg, do you even play any more?
  • compuease wrote: »
    I take exception to this post... I seem to remember several times getting it all in against you over the years and always losing. You run just fine, it's just your selective memory.. I'll take those odds every time, all day, all year, Cave or no Cave... lol, see you Friday..

And Greg, do you even play any more?

he switched to bingo :D
  • Who me? Bingo is slightly less boring.

Um no. You are about 25% to win all of them. And if you win the first couple you might be able to afford to lose one after that. [emoji12]

• Hey Devan, I think the hand played itself as it should and you got your money in as best as you could. With that being said, if you feel you are on the rough side of variance you can always in a spot like that just flat behind in position keep the pot small control it and keep his bluffs in. Also allows you to fold in a spot you truly believe you are no longer good. But if you put him on a strong ace and k q j 10 turns are you ever getting away with it? Best scenario for you to lower your variance busting the tournament is just flatting behind all 3 streets. Downside to that is you lower your busting percentage but increase your variance in losing the pot in general as even his bluffs will turn or river you at times where as with a shove they fold out.

It's a tough spot and you played for the win. Gotta be happy getting it in 70/30 to put yourself in position to crush a tournament and play for the win.

Gg
    The blinds are 2k / 4k no ante - folds to the SB who completes, BB checks, they each have approximately 120k and are the chip leaders of the tournament

SB has A-Jos

Flops comes A-9-3 rainbow, SB leads for $4k, BB raises to 25k - SB re-raises to 50k with 60k behind - BB jams

If you are SB do you fold or do you have to call (pot committed), what are you putting the BB on ?

Yes I fold. No, you never HAVE to call.
    BB most likely A3, 93, 33.