Scrapbooking ...

Ok don't laugh at this post at a Poker Forum ... however ...

We recently put up my wife's scrapbooking website at www.scrappingturtle.com. If anyone has a chance to look at it and give me an opinion that would be great. Personally I think it is too big and bubbly and I don't like the dark background, but that is what she wanted and likes.

Anyway that is my post :)

Comments

• it doesn't fit into my screen

need to scroll to the right to see the rest of it

but nice colors :D
    turtles :lol: cute i guess :lol:

and maybe add a counter :D
  • Add a counter ... that is a good one - thanks!

When you say you had to scroll to the right -- do you know what the resolution of your screen is set to? We tried to configure the app to be displayed in 800x600 but I think we forgot to account for the browser frame and such so if you are using that 800x600 then I think you would have to scroll.

Thanks for your input!
  • One thing I noticed right away is that it was almost impossible for me to see hyperlinks (which were blue) on the purpley-blue background.

I don't mind the background colour per se, but I wonder if it's possible to change the hyperlink colour so it's not so similar in colour (not sure if that's is even possible, maybe it's a browser setting).

I didn't have a problem with the width of the page.

ScottyZ
  • Are you using Netscape or IE? One thing I noticed was that our link colour in our style sheet is green and is working fine in IE ... a little while ago I installed netscape to make sure everything was cool and that link was a darkish blue!

I am going to try to find a shade of green that displays properly in both browsers, but if you are using netscape then I would expect that problem. If you are using IE could you tell me the version of the browser you are using? thx
  • It does seem to depend on the browser I'm using. It looks okay on IE 6.0, but the links are blue on Mozilla 1.4.

ScottyZ
  • ya it is wierd because i imported everything into dreamweaver (which I just started using) and it is showing them in dark blue as well. Looks like it is an IE thing ... serves me right for only testing with one browser LOL.

Thanks for this point though, I am guessing the only browser it will work in is IE so i better fix it ... once i find a proper colour it would take about 2 seconds to fix it ...

thanks scotty!
  • I have IE6 and the links are hard to read. Also I would consider changing the color of the text that you have overlaying the turtles (e.g. FAQ). It is also a little hard to read. Also, consider changing the size (or color) of the text in the subpages to make it more readable. The headings are easy to read, but not the paragraphs.

Other than that, I think that the site looks good.
  • kwplayer wrote:
    Add a counter ... that is a good one - thanks!

When you say you had to scroll to the right -- do you know what the resolution of your screen is set to? We tried to configure the app to be displayed in 800x600 but I think we forgot to account for the browser frame and such so if you are using that 800x600 then I think you would have to scroll.

Thanks for your input!

my screen is set to 800x600 :D

and if ya know how...perhaps add one of them codes so no one can hotlink the site's images,etc :D

i dont know how :lol:
  • Wow these are great points! I thought the text on the turtles are a bit hard to read, but my wife did it and likes them so I think I am DOA there. :) I am going to have to look at our normal text on the background and see if I can make it clear for people to read. I did update the links last night so they are bigger and such ... but for some reason netscape would not use my stylings. I have to investigate that more.

Not sure what you mean by "hotlink the site's images" do you mean so people can not right-click and save them? If that is it I think we are ok (we aren't going to get too upset if people steal them) but now that you mention it we should have something that say all the content is copywritten or something.

hmmm good one :)
  • kwplayer wrote:
    Wow these are great points! I thought the text on the turtles are a bit hard to read, but my wife did it and likes them so I think I am DOA there. :) I am going to have to look at our normal text on the background and see if I can make it clear for people to read. I did update the links last night so they are bigger and such ... but for some reason netscape would not use my stylings. I have to investigate that more.

Not sure what you mean by "hotlink the site's images" do you mean so people can not right-click and save them? If that is it I think we are ok (we aren't going to get too upset if people steal them) but now that you mention it we should have something that say all the content is copywritten or something.

hmmm good one :)

wondering if the text were blue instead of black ( the turtles ) would show up better :?:

Hotlinking is linking to an image on someone else's server.... Hotlinking to an image steals bandwidth. :wink:
  • Hmmm that is interesting ... i keep a pretty good eye on the server logs (especially now that the visitors are so small) but I will keep an eye for that and if it occurs I will do something about it.

The blue idea is pretty good ... the problem is that my wife does the images and if I tell her to update them she will be ticked. Remember it isn't just the image that is on the screen but there is a hover image and a click image that would all have to be updated. :)

I will pass on your advice and see if she is willing to do it ... I told her at the time they were hard to read but she liked them at the time. :) Do you think they take up too much real estate? They look cute and all (most people say that) but you can't add another one without the list getting very long ... maybe if we put them closer together or make them a bit smaller ... or maybe we use a small one beside each and when you click on one it becomes large ... i dunno i am not a graphics person so I struggle with that kinda stuff.

thx again for the input!
  • kwplayer wrote:
    Do you think they take up too much real estate? They look cute and all (most people say that) but you can't add another one without the list getting very long ... maybe if we put them closer together or make them a bit smaller ... or maybe we use a small one beside each and when you click on one it becomes large ... i dunno i am not a graphics person so I struggle with that kinda stuff.

thx again for the input!

yeah i think they do take up alot of real estate lol :lol: maybe it would be alright for someone that has a 20 inch screen :unsure:

maybe shrink the turtle :D just a little, if possible without the frying pans flying :mrgreen:

:D
  • A couple more suggestions:

1. Have the turtles face in towards the main rext of the page. If they're on the left hand edge looking to the left, you might get the impression that they are "not interested" in the page.

2. All those turtles seems a little busy or cluttered, and it also makes the text slightly harder to read. How about a menu wth a single turtle, and the choices listed below it?

ScottyZ

P.S. Have you also considered monkeys instead of turtles? ;)
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    P.S. Have you also considered monkeys instead of turtles? ;)

LOL a site named scrappingturtle.com with monkeys :lol: rofl :mrgreen: