POKER TOURNEYS IN KITCHENER/WATERLOO AREA MONDAY & TUESDAY NIGHT

Hi,

I'd like to inform everyone of two poker tournanments coming up. For Both tournaments Registration starts at 7:15 pm and the tourney starts at 7:30 pm.

Room 2134/2135
SLC (Student Life Centre)
University of Waterloo Campus
200 University Ave. East
Waterloo, ON

Dates:

1) Monday April 4th 2005 (7:15pm Registration Start)

Buyin: $20 (1 Rebuy Allowed)
Type: On top of the prize money, this is a Satellite for April 5th's
Tourney, top 16% get free registration into the Tuesday April 5th
tourney

2) Main Event on Tuesday April 5th 2005 (7:15pm Registration Start)

Buyin: $40 (if i can get 45 ppl, first place prize money would be $1000)

Both of these tourneys are NL Texas Holdem Tourneys. Please email be
back at m.adeelzaman@gmail.com to confirm registration ASAP and reserve a seat.

Also email me if you have any questions.

AND REMEMBER, EVERYONE, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO INVITE YOUR FRIENDS OR
JUST SPREAD THE WORD BETWEEN AS MANY POKER PLAYERS AS YOU KNOW. THE
MORE THE BETTER.

Adeel

Comments

• aahh...the SLC...great memories...
    i'm working, or i'd be there for sure.

good luck with it
  • lol.....thnx

r u on a workterm or jus working on campus both of the nights
  • Adeel,

I shall be there on the Monday night.  Tell those U of W math geeks to put away their calculators, the odds of them beating me is =<00.001 (gotta account for some bad beats)  :D

:fish: U of W

stp
  • umm will the tuesday night game be a freeze out or rebuys and add ons
  • [Shannon]

hahahahha, its funny cuz all the UW math geeks friends of mine mostly only do good online like win 11 grand and 7 grand because they are good with odds but in a live cash game, they get their pockets cleaned out like 1 grand a nite sometimes becuase there reading skills and other skills aren't really up to par

Besides, I am going to try enter the tourney myself and there's no Bear this time to take me out

[Cole]

The tuesday night tourney is a freezeout.

Monday night tourney will either be max two rebuys or unlimited rebuys for the first 1:20 min (first 4 levels)
  • Come Tuesday night Shannon see how you fare in a rematch with this UW math geek :D
  • no, i left uw awhile ago...was there 93 to 96, then stuck around for about 4 or 5 years...my wife helped organize all the frosh week events (somewhat cooler than my juggling club presidency)...and canada day stuff...her and i even started "boys and girls" night at fed hall (is that still around?)...amazing the stuff you do, then forget about so quickly....anyway, if you guys make this a regular thing, maybe me and some buds can make it up sometime.

looking to see the results
  • Just so everyone planning on coming to this tourney knows. There are 3 CIBC machines in the building......hint...hint.....Cash games hopefully.
  • If anyone is interested:

Starting Chips: 1000 (5*5 / 3*25 / 4*100 / 1*500...13 chips in total)

$20 Tourney Blind Structure:

Level 1: 5/10 20 Minutes
    Level 2: 10/20 20 Minutes
    Level 3: 15/30 20 Minutes
    Level 4: 20/40 20 Minutes
    Level 5: 30/60 20 Minutes
    ----5 Min Break
    End of Rebuys
    Level 7: 50/100 20 Minutes
    Level 8: 75/150 20 Minutes
    Level 9: 100/200 20 Minutes
    Level 10: 150/300 20 Minutes
    ---5 min Break ---
    Level 11: 200/400 20 Minutes
    Level 12: 300/600 20 Minutes
    Level 13: 400/800 20 Minutes
    Level 14: 600/1200 20 Minutes
    ---5 min Break ---
    Level 15: 1000/2000 20 Minutes
    Level 16: 1500/3000 20 Minutes
    Level 17: 2000/4000 20 Minutes
    Level 18: 3000/6000 20 Minutes

$40 Tourney Blind Structure (Freezeout):

Level 1: 5/10 20 Minutes
    Level 2: 10/20 20 Minutes
    Level 3: 15/30 20 Minutes
    Level 4: 20/40 20 Minutes
    Level 5: 30/60 20 Minutes
    -5 Min Break
    Level 7: 50/100 20 Minutes
    Level 8: 75/150 20 Minutes
    Level 9: 100/200 20 Minutes
    Level 10: 150/300 20 Minutes
    ---5 min Break ---
    Level 11: 200/400 20 Minutes
    Level 12: 300/600 20 Minutes
    Level 13: 400/800 20 Minutes
    Level 14: 600/1200 20 Minutes
    ---5 min Break ---
    Level 15: 1000/2000 20 Minutes
    Level 16: 1500/3000 20 Minutes
    Level 17: 2000/4000 20 Minutes
    Level 18: 3000/6000 20 Minutes

Basically, the only difference is that for the $20 tourney, there is unlimited rebuys for the first 5 levels (100 min)
  • Basically, the only difference is that for the $20 tourney, there is unlimited rebuys for the first 5 levels (100 min)

You wen't from one re-buy to unlimited ?!?

So basically the difference now is that the first tourney is really a $100, where you could win a seat for the $40 tourney on Tuesday.
    I would have played for a limited number of rebuys, but not unlimited, it just gets too crazy.

Also a word of caution for anyone who does attend and isn't familiar with UW parking - walk! There isn't much there and they seem to raise the cost of each lot by a buck about every year. Does anyone know if the parking above the PAC is still $3 and public?
  • The two lots you see when you go through the Columbia entrance are $3. The one above the PAC is $4. Or you could just park w/o paying and risk getting a $15 ticket...which they never follow up on if you don't pay, unless you're a student and then you can't graduate.
  • Adeel,

What are the payouts? Top 16% get free entry...so you are taking $40 out for each one of the top 16% of players and then the top....10? will get paid? Is this correct, or something like this. What is the payout percentage that does not include the satellite entry?

stp
  • Starting Chips: 1000 (5*5 / 3*25 / 4*100 / 1*500...13 chips in total)

Ummm..... ouch.

Your first 5 levels of blinds use a lot of (5) and (25) chips, and your starting chip count is much too low to run an effective tournament. I consider 20 chips total the bottom of the barrel, with 30 being a comfortable zone.

Consider begging/borrowing chips to increase the starting number of low chips you have. The following I'd consider the absolute lowest you'd want to go...

(5) x 10
    (25) x 10
    (100) x 2
    (500) x 1

My favorite distribution is as follows, (almost eliminates the need to make change at the table)

(5) x 15
    (25) x 13
    (100) x 6

If you just don't have enough chips, but have a colour you're not using consider adding another colour/denomination in for the early levels, (ie. blue (10) chips) That way, you could do something like..

(5) x 5
    (10) x 5
    (25) x 5
    (100) x 3
    (500) x 1
  • I like you blind structure but would highly recommend using Zithals chip count if you have them. I assume you do have more chips if you are suggesting unlimited re-buys...I also use the chip count that Zithal uses and it works great. Are you sure you want to do unlimited re-buys...I would prefer a cap on the re-buy at one or two....

stp
  • IS THIS POKER TURNY STILL RUNNING I HAVENT HUEARD MUCH ABOUT IT AND WILL THERE BE LOTS OF PEOPLE HERE HOW MNAY PEOPLE DO THEY HAVE SO FAR DOES NE ONE AND IS ANY ONE ON HERE COMMING AND ALSO IS THERE A TV THERE LOL I WANNA WATCH THE UNC GAME VS ILLNOIS LOL
  • Thanks for running the event last night Adeel. Once it got running it was doen well, 54 players showed up to battle it out for 9 paid positions. I was card dead for the last hour and some and didn't make any well timed moves...ended up all-in in late position with 3xBB and AT...called by AJ and I was out in tenth...SirWatts was still in. See you all tonight for the 40 bucker..

stp
  • Busted 4th...  Blinds 1k/2K I'm 3rd/4 with 7K, and push with 77 after the massive stack raised UTG.  Guy behind me makes a fairly bad play calling with KQs as well.  Then he makes things worse by semibluffing all-in to a dry side pot on the flop when he had picked up a flush draw.  Big stack isn't going anywhere since the all-in bet is not a big one and shows AK.  I'm dealing and river myself with an A on the river.  The big blind who only had about 2 or 3K left after folding is gifted 2nd place. 
  • will we be seeing any pics from this event?
    or events...either..
  • No pictures of any kind will be forthcoming, as the tournament was busted by the authorities. This of course was not known by myself until I called it a night after sitting around the SLC, waiting 2 hours for any indication/word/information of what was going on with the tournament, and then went home. Needless to say, I was not impressed (said very nicely and edited for public content).

That was when I was informed via MSN Messenger by someone else who arrived earlier than I to find that the tournament was closed. It would have been nice for all parties involved if there were some sort of message left at the front desk in the SLC. Very nice indeed, as no one anywhere knew what was going on with the tournament.

There were a fair number of people besides myself who were in the dark, some quite angry and vocal about it, some of whom travelled from out of town, all of whom sat around waiting for nothing. None of us were impressed, to put it mildly.

I do not know the exact particulars, but I must say that I am not overly surprised at the outcome of tonight's tourney. A tournament at an educational institution is subject to certain strict guidelines and regulations (unless of course it's underground and last-minute), and without any portion of the pot going to some sort of a charitable organization or university club or such, the veracity and legality of the tournament is always suspect.

Some thought should have gone into this area/aspect while organizing the event, especially if the event were to be advertised. I would suggest for future events that extensive research be done to ensure a thorough understanding of university policy regarding such events prior to advertising.

Themanzaman....perhaps you might like to consult with other organizers of similar events (i.e. the Laurier tourneys) and use this as a learning experience to ensure a smoothly and effectively run event or events in the future. Most major tourneys I have played at Laurier thus far (including the $50 tomorrow night) have been very well organized, complete with pit bosses and proper spacing of people at tables as people are knocked out.

An effectively organized and run tournament sparks greater interest for future events, at least in my eyes. I'm not sure how everyone else feels, but I would imagine pretty much the same.

Again, at the very least this might be looked upon as a learning experience. I certainly hope so.

Sammy.
  • well...
    so the monday went ok, and the tuesday's was busted...shame.
    glad we didn't drive up i guess.
  • campus police took id's down
  • Yes, so here is what went down. People arrived at the student life center at the Univeristy of Waterloo, there was a sign on the door that said "go to St.Pauls campus". When players arrived at St. Paul's there was noone there except for two people signing church music on the piano. Ahhh crap, back to the SLC. When they arrived at the SLC ten minutes later, another sign had been posted on the door of the room that was originally "booked". It read "goto ...some other U of W campus" I cant remember what it was called. Another 15 minutes of walking and seeing a number of groups of poker players either disgruntled or inpatient with the lack of organization. Finally arrived at the destination to see chips being set up. Finally! It's 8:20 pm and this was suppose to start at 7:30pm. Just as things are set up the campus police arrive. They ask for everyone present to hand over thier ID's and vacate the premises, the game needs to break-up. The organizer never had premission to organize such an event on campus. Everyone got their money back and went their separate ways.
    Obviously it is appreciated that Adeel tried to run this event without even playing in it himself or taking a profit from it. Live and learn I guess, I don't think he was prepared for the amount of responses he got. Ten players sitting around playing cards doesn't get much attention, 50 does. It was a frustrating night for many, I saw as many as 10 forum members there last night. Pitty that we didn't get to battle it out....

stp
  • Firstly,

For Monday Night's Tourney, Here are the Top 9:
    1) Dave Campanella ($400)
    2) Joel Drouillard ($240)
    3) Hai ($160)
    4) SirWatts ($120)
    5) Dan Armchuck ($80)
    6) Xu Cheng ($40)
    7) Dan Pagliari ($40)
    -8) Leanna ($40)
    9) Steve Bahun ($40)
    10) Shannon / stp

Also, I have lots of pictures from the tournament including ones of Shannon, Dan Pagliari and SirWatts on the final table, one of Dave Campanella after his first place finish, and also one of the starting 53 duking it out. I will post these on the forum later. And I would like to thank everyone who participated at the tourney and also thank them for their patience during the delayed start to the tourney.

Interestingly enough, the prize pool for the tourney was $1160 and the pot for the [.25/.50] cash game that just 8 players stayed behind to play was $990, eventhough everyone only did an initial buyin of $20.

Secondly,

I am terribly sorry for the events of last night and how the tourney wasn't able to run due to the authorities. I would like to apologize to everyone who came for the tourney and wasn't able to play. Just to explain, I had booked the original room in the SLC days ago. This room had a capacity of 64 people for the poker tournaments. I thought that since its usually assumed that the rooms are booked out for studying and nobody ever comes into closed rooms, that room would be suffecient for a poker tournament. However, somehow, someway the word spread and the manager of SLC bookings found out that the room was booked for a poker tournament and she cacelled my bookings for Monday and Tuesday about just 2 hours before the start of the tournament on Monday.

Now, due to this mishap, I didn't have enough time to cancel the tournament, and I was still able to accomodate the people at St. Paul's and run the Monday night tournament there. However, for Tuesday, since I still didn't have the room, I tried to run the tourney at REV, where cash games are played every night, but not until the cafeteria is closed and Resident Life Coordinator is gone home. Unfortunately, the cafeteria was open at the time we were setting up the tourney and one of the cafteria ladies decided to rat on us and call campus police.

I am also very sorry about the walk from SLC to St. Pauls to back to SLC, since the "go to St. Pauls" sign at the SLC room door was there from the Monday night tourney and was never taken off.