Too far with a Loose Passive?

10/20 in B&M I'm in MP3 with QQ. Suits not important.

UTG limps, folded to Hero who raises, SB, BB and UTG call. Flop is KK5. UTG bets.

A few hands earlier I split a pot holding KQ (MP3) and UTG was holding K8 (oops) in EP on a board of AK775.

I figure he's either on a K, or a medium pocket pair. I'm thinking it's less likely that he's on a K with two on the board and him betting into me. He's a classic loose passive, so his bet is very strong on this type of flop.

None the less, I raise, the blinds fold, and he re-raises and I cap the flop. Should I have just folded to the re-raise, or should I just flat call the flop and pop the turn?

Turn is a (KK5) 7. He bets and I fold. I put him on a K or aces, as that's the only way a loose passive is betting into me at the turn. Is this correct thinking.

Did I go too far, or should I choose a different line?

Cheers
Magi

Comments

• you could make an argument for check calling to the river or putting in a raise on the turn and folding to a reraise.
    but if hes classic loose passive he's not gonning to fold a K weak kicker and he most likely wouldnt of reraised on the flop with anything less, so an excellent fold.
    Capping it on the flop was not to far IMO it gave you all the information you needed to lay it down with out your reraise i think your left wondering if you made the right play or not.
    i think it was a great play and reaction to the situation.
  • I think this hand gets close to falling into the classic 2+2 "way ahead or way behind" line (call/call/bet).. But it actually doesn't because you had 4 to the flop.. So the flop raise is a given. When the passive comes back and 3 bets you, its alarming. I like the flop cap if you fold to a turn bet (which you did)..

The only question is if this guy was such a fish that he'd bet the bottom pair of 5's in this situation...

But the real question is "Why does a passive not seem to care what you are holding?"..

Lets do a little math here.. 8SB on the flop, 8BB on the turn. Likely need to call two bets to get to showdown, so you need to be good here 4 to 1 or 25% of the time.. Against a passive who came back at you on the turn I don't think you'll be good enough here to justify going to the river.

Nice fold. Passives don't bluff 3-bet.
  • I really like the capping the flop because, once he lead into you again you knew he basicly was saying i don't care if you do cap it, i'm still coming at you.