Dave..the K,J

Im curious what your take on this hand is. I see K,J played extensively online, and in live tourneys. It is a hand I see raised preflop and played aggressively on the flop. I even just watched a WPT event where this hand was played as a top hand a few times. I personally have only been calling with this hand in mid to late postition only if there have been no raises and Im getting good pot odds. Ive read a few books as well which say it is a hand that should almost always be folded, unless your getting great pot odds in late position.
How do you play K,J from early,mid, and late positions? And do you think it is a overrated hand, or that it just has to be played properly considering the situation?

Comments

• K-J is a hand in the catgory of "OK under the right circumstances, but walk carefully." Other hands in this catagory will include other random "big card" hands like A-J, Q-J, K-T, etc. They have some merit, but if a big gun battle breaks out you are undergunned.

I tend to approach things with the "standard play" and then vary from there either because I have some compelling reason to do so or upon occasion just ot mix up my game. My "standard play" with K-J is to fold in early position, raise in middle or late position if there has not been a raise, and fold in any position if there has been a raise.

Reasons to vary from this strategy? If you have an aggressive "three-bettor" on your left you don't want to be coming into a lot of pots with a hand like this and having to lay down when the action player re-raises. In Sklansky parlayance, you have to shrink your gap. Limping in is OK with this hand in mid/late because it doesn't seem too likely to become a big multi-way pot which is what you don't want to play with K-J.
  • I agree with Dave, KJ is a ok hand a best, yet it's my favourite hand.
    I will raise it (if sooted) as long as I'm the one doing the raises.
    I've hand amazing success with it (also called luck) so I can't really complain much.
    To each their own.
    Best idea would be to know when to fold it even if you hit a flop of A/K/J, etc.