It's like.. 2016 right?

Hey all

Moderate rant here.. hopefully this doesn't mutate into garbage like some of the other threads but...

I had an interesting thing happen this week.... I was at work, after hours, and someone tried to come in to "just print one last thing", as is common. Unfortunately, our computers shut off automatically at 4:30, as a means to encourage people to leave (we had a long run of staff being stuck 30-60 minutes past closing, and that means 2 staff have to stay). Now, this fella comes in at 4:35, we close at 4:30, asking to print something off, I explain we're closed, and that the computers shut down and (fibbing) we can't turn them back on. He called me a "fucking faggot" and left.

Now, I've been called names millions of times, but I found this kinda funny because I realized that even though, working with youth, I hear variations of "fag / gay" used in the context of "don't be a fag" or something (and I always challenge them on that, telling them about the connotations), I've not had that hurled at my as a direct insult in some time, probably a decade. I take that actually as progress, and pleasant that it's so rare.

Now, here's where I get stymied. Star Wars and Ghostbusters. There's been some uproar about both of these movies, claiming they're unfaithful to the original movies (less so with Star Wars now that it has been released and made all the money), but people legitimately disregard or complain about the black stormtrooper, and the all female Ghostbusters. And I don't just mean places like "return of kings" website of bros who whine about having to like, respect people even if they aren't male and pale, but day to day people too. People were saying how bad GB's was going to be with out seeing like, one second of footage (the trailer did come out the other day - I'm interested for sure).

Anyways, there's my rant.. it surprises me how often people can see how terrible or wrong certain things are, and miss the lesson.

Mark

Comments

• You mean like this?

Judge overrules last will-?contrary to public policy?

Also you work in a copy centre now?

Also it is 2016. Seriously get a wifi printer. This is the lesson.
  • The front part of my work is a job center..

They let people print resumes and stuff for free, I don't work in that area, but I was downstairs at the time. And the fella likely had his resume on our computers, so needed that, a wifi printer wouldn't have helped.

Mark
  • i am amazed at how many racist and homophobic people there are still in this day and age. i had one of my students hand in a lesson (in which they had to create their own content for) about how all immigrants should be sent back to their countries because they are ruining the "whiteness" of canada along with some strange shit about how we get more diseases when immigrants come to our country. i was absolutely shocked, not necessarily that she thought this, but that she thought that this was something that would be okay to submit as a lesson to the teacher!
  • trigs wrote: »
    i am amazed at how many racist and homophobic people there are still in this day and age. i had one of my students hand in a lesson (in which they had to create their own content for) about how all immigrants should be sent back to their countries because they are ruining the "whiteness" of canada along with some strange shit about how we get more diseases when immigrants come to our country. i was absolutely shocked, not necessarily that she thought this, but that she thought that this was something that would be okay to submit as a lesson to the teacher!

Holy shitballs!

How old are your students again?

Mark
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    Holy shitballs!

How old are your students again?

Mark

they are all over 18 years old.
  • So college / university aged+

Wow... I've dealt with teens like 12-17 for years now, and heard all sorts of "taking our jobs" talk, but generally you can tell they're just parroting their jackass uncle / parent / neighbour...

Is there any sort of response to that kind of thing at your institution, or is it just "wow... well, umm.. move on"

Mark
  • trigs wrote: »
    i am amazed at how many racist and homophobic people there are still in this day and age. i had one of my students hand in a lesson (in which they had to create their own content for) about how all immigrants should be sent back to their countries because they are ruining the "whiteness" of canada along with some strange shit about how we get more diseases when immigrants come to our country. i was absolutely shocked, not necessarily that she thought this, but that she thought that this was something that would be okay to submit as a lesson to the teacher!
    Did you learn your lesson?

PS YOU KNOW...
    So college / university aged+

Wow... I've dealt with teens like 12-17 for years now, and heard all sorts of "taking our jobs" talk, but generally you can tell they're just parroting their jackass uncle / parent / neighbour...

Is there any sort of response to that kind of thing at your institution, or is it just "wow... well, umm.. move on"

Mark

no. nothing serious. i spoke to her and told her that she shouldn't be writing things like that for class as it is highly offensive, and i told her that i wouldn't mark that assignment. i really didn't want to get into an argument with her. she is one of my strange ones. she dropped the class about a week later anyway.
  • What was the assignment supposed to be about? I'm curious how she wrangled her particular brand of xenophobia into it.

Mark
    What was the assignment supposed to be about? I'm curious how she wrangled her particular brand of xenophobia into it.

Mark

lol we were working on different types of concept maps (like venn diagrams, hierarchical, spider, etc.). i just wanted them to practice the different types so they were allowed to use whatever info they wanted that would fit the type of map. i can't remember which map she put it in though.
  • Not too surprising . . . just look at all the mindless drivel that keeps circulating on social media these days, no matter how many times you provide a snopes link that debunks it. The internet has dumbed down public discourse in so many ways beyond politics.

And yes, I know some of you will look at the above with a certain ironic chuckle . . . happy to start your weekend with a smile.
  • I blame the teacher. FU Trigs.
  • moose wrote: »
    I blame the teacher. FU Trigs.

I am white. Could be subconscious.
  • Mark, absolutely nothing wrong with you wanting to suck a wiener. It is 2016 and i believe its ok when two gay gentlemen frolicki about listening to Justin Bieber songs.

That being said.......this still really makes me laugh.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_k8Fmc390zU
  • Almost forgot

F.U. Trigs
  • My gaydar needs a tuneup. I didn't think Mark was gay.
  • Who said he is, other than the idiot mentioned in the OP.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Who said he is, other than the idiot mentioned in the OP.

exactly....

and even if he is we still accept him in our big old gay poker community.

I really believe the scoundrel who used said homophobic slur is having trouble letting his inner Elton out.

sound quality isn't great on this one..... but ........ Dave Chappelle is funny too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUOMxLpBB3M