WPT Montreal - Who is going?

2»

Comments

• all right i'll try again and hope it works lol.

preflop action i'm fine with. i would also be under the impression that sexton is generally on the tighter side so your range for him is pretty decent.

on flop, i don't think i'd be donk betting out here. i'd be more inclined to check/call or check/raise depending on villain. like you say, it is most likely that you are behind most of villain's range here, not to mention you are out of position as well. furthermore, like you say, you are bloating the pot against a tight villain who 3bet preflop, so there's not a lot of hands that he holds that will fold to your flop bet. i think showing some pot control and check/calling is probably best.

as played, i think checking the turn card is okay as well but i think this is a better opportunity to make a play. the ace hurts a lot of villain's range as TT-KK now is worried. betting out here again would be doable as facing a raise back is probably an easy fold as you are most likely dead to a club (and maybe even dead completely to a boat), and a call by villain would probably leave you check/folding river if no club comes. however, you'd take it down on the turn most of the time in relation to villain's range.

i think it's also possible to consider a check/raise on the turn as you checking the ace would most likely force villain to cbet turn repping an ace no matter what. enough pressure of a check/raise here could possibly even make AQ+ fold as well as any lower pocket pairs. personally, i think i like the line of check/calling flop and check/raising turn when ace hits as it screams slow playing a big hand like you flopped a 9 and you're assuming villain can't fold his ace. even if villain calls with AQ+ or even a 9 you still have some outs with club flush.

as played, after calling turn i think it's very hard to fold if you thought you were ahead on turn. K river means KK just got there but other than that not much changes. since you slowed down on turn and check/called, you really gain no information as he most likely would have cbet the turn when the ace hit no matter what. basically, you put yourself in a tough spot where a more aggressive line would have defined the hand easier for you. if anything, at best you are check/calling river and hoping he has TT-QQ but that is still a pretty limited range to assume here.

EDIT: i should probably also add that i am absolutely not a pro at poker lol.
  • Awesome TR!! Thanks for posting. Great read.
  • I tracked down blondefish...
    You forgot to post your photo with Miss Universe Guam! >:D
    I got to know him a little better on the long drive, we talked about our families a little and a lot about poker. I really enjoyed it...and I am looking forward to seeing him again.
    WPT Fallsview & WSOP-C Montreal FTW! No spooning tho.
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    You forgot to post your photo with Miss Universe Guam! >:D
    WPT Fallsview & WSOP-C Montreal FTW! No spooning tho.

I have to be careful with social media, if I ever become Prime Minister of Canada, or main event champ - I don't want anyone finding that picture and saying that I slept with those two RF girls. My wife wouldn't let me out of the house again to play poker!! Hahahhah
  • great read, thanks for posting!

tough hand. I am also not an expert, but I think your initial instinct that Sexton was squeaky tight was correct, and I think you have the right range here when he 3 bets, but you could have used that information better in the hand.
    His 3 betting hand range in the spot will for sure include AA, KK, QQ and AK. Can we also include pairs down to JJ, 10 10, 9 9 and 8 8? And what about A Q? I think we can if we think that he thinks we are trying to steal in the cut-off position. Or does he just flat with this later group of hands? Thoughts? I also have an A blocker, so AA is a little less likely.

Once the flop comes out (9c 9h 5c), you have decent pot equity but almost no fold equity against that range. That makes me lean towards a check call, which gives it the chance to check through and also allows him to bet the 88-TT that you have the most equity against.

Once the A comes I think you have to call the turn, but then on the K river you bet out the 10K - which was less than the turn bet. I think the idea of the blocking bet makes sense in theory, but only if you can let it go when he puts the rest in. Otherwise it may have been better to check - then call or fold based on both bet sizing and any other information you have. I've only seen him on TV, but always figured when Mike Sexton ships it on you he's got it.... which of course he knows that you know, and you know that he knows that you know, and for sure he knows that you know that he knows that you know that.............

Tough hand dude, nice run in the tournament!
  • Maybe the best trip report I have read, certainly in a long while. Nice run..
  • partypoker qualifier timex will be the expert commentator of the WPT Montreal final table livestream @ Twitch starting at 4:30 pm ET on a 30-minute delay with holecards. :cool:
    Another partypoker qualifier, Rainer Kempe is 3rd in chips, behind WPT champion Brian Altman and pro Darryl Fish. First place is $433,410 with no 30% tax!
  • I like the analysts especially timex, and it's down to the final 3 of ME. Twitch

My roommate was eliminated halfway through the final table of the $1,650 Second Chance Event, then there was yet another multi-way chop instead of battling for first-place money! :redface: My last three roommates in Montreal (that stayed as long as me) have all made it to the final five of a Playground Poker Club tournament. My previous roommate was also involved in a SIX-way chop in Event #2. A player whom I had chopped TWO-way before heads-up, agreed to a FOUR-way chop in Event #6. :o
  • was thinking the same thing, love how timex is giving his thought process on a lot of the hands. really good stuff.