March 26th West Side Poker Club, Just toss my yellow chip in and I will call …

And, as Paul Harvey would say, for the rest of the story.

Through the power going out and killing the computer in the first round. To not being able to find the final money winner sheet with their names and prize totals ($7300.00 being given out first through eleven). The West Side Poker Club formal through it’s hat into the big tournament format, going out side it 15 member home game and managed to survive.

The play was exciting from the get go as people played reckless and loose the two hours. Add-on’s were a great pot builder and players settled in for a day of poker.

I am sure each has their share of bad beats, but I will share one I witness and then move on to the final couple of hands.

CanadaKev is all in at the final table with AJ (I believe off suited). The chip leader (help with name) say “eight’s have been winning all day all in” and show’s J 8 not suit, an 2 eight comes on the flop with two spades and then nothing on the turn and nothing on the river and down goes CanadaKev.

Jeff Campbell was short stacked going into the final table and drew the button for the final seating assignment and used that to his advantage. Jeff turns to me during one of the breaks and say to me “now is the time to make my move”. Coming off the break he doubles up on two short calls to give himself a little breathing room. He then goes all in with a hand, I don’t remember what he had, but the chip leader said “here take my yellow chip (25, 000) and a couple of pinks” to make it somewhere around forty thousands.

I am not sure if it was the very next hand or not, but it was definitely within the three hands, the chip leader says “toss in my yellow chip and I will call”. Jeff looks at his cards and with a face of stone showing no expression picks up the 25,000 yellow chip tosses into the air and throws it onto the pot. Our chip leader replies “I am all in”. Before the chip even hits the pot. Jeff looks at his cards and the slightest smirk forms in the corner of his mouth and says “I call”. Our chip leader turns over K 8 diamonds, my brother turns to me and say “Jeff’s got rockets”, and as Jeff turned over his cards and sure enough everyone can see AA. Now our chip leader has won numerous hands when having an eight in his hand so all eyes were on the flop. Nothing happens on the flop, turn or river.

Jeff is now the chip leader with our former chip leader with about 1500 in chips. He doubles up once and in an ironic fashion Jeff takes him out after flop a pair of eights in the final hand. Jeff took home 2755.00 and added another ring to his crown. If you email me your size Jeff I will see if I can have it done before delivery.

I want to thank everyone for coming. I trust your experience was enjoyable and we look forward to seeing you April 23 at our next event in Waterloo.

Brent & Cam
West Side Poker Club

Comments

• Hey,

Just did the walk of shame back home from polish hall. The event was very well organized, I was too disappointed to stay and watch the rest of it finish. I came approx. 40ish from 78 entrants. I didn't buy back in nor did I Add on..Big Mistake!

At the Add on period I was chip leader at my table with 5K, little did I know that everyone at my table including short stacked Added On! I lost my chip lead, and I also lost my mind when every other hand people were going All In.

Finally I got good cards to start pushing back AK - not suited, I raise $500 preflop
    The Big Blind Re-raises me $1000, I then push All In...BB calls...Turns over pocket 4's
    He's the slight favorite to win the hand, first Card on the Flop is a 4...I was drawing completly dead...That short stacked me to $1500....6 hands later K9 vs. QQ I doubled up, cuz' I hit a K off the Flop ...(I know what your thinkin', I had no business going all in with K9) But I was short stacked, had to make a stand!

Back to $4000 in chips...My last hand QQ vs. A8 ...I called ALL In to steal the blinds, cuz they were at $200-$400 with $10 ante. I was satisfied with my preflop All in with QQ's...Flop comes out Ace!...the next thing I knew, I was shaking everyone's hand and grabing my jacket.

Overall, I had a great time...This was my second time playing in such a big tourney.
    Excellent job to everyone that organized it, the winner who takes home the $2700 dollars will be happy...Great Calibre of players at this game.

Everyone at my table was really nice, which is really good....

I'll cya boys at the next one.

~Ali aka (DJALIKOOL)
  • First of all, I just want to thank Brent and Cam for running a fantastic first poker tournament. I've heard some of their ideas for future west side poker tournaments and I am very excited about playing in them as well.
    I will agree with DJALIKOOL that the tournament did have a number of very good players, however it was evident to me after seeing maybe only 20 players take advantage of the double add-on , 3500 chips, for $100, that the tournament also had a number of less experienced players. The tournament was a 60 buyin, with 2 optional $50 rebuys (which i did not use) and the $100 addon, all of which contibuted to make a nice pot.
    The final table, which was 6 handed, was all pretty solid. Can't remember all of the names, but Canadakev, and Vandal2k from UB, as long as the monster chip leader who came 2nd, and a young 17 year old kid, all made for a good final table. I started at Vandal's original table and recognized he was solid. I felt bad after this particular hand. We were 4 handed, 3k-6k blinds, folded around to me in the sb, i push allin with 99, and vandal calls me and opens JJ. I felt bad that my only suckout all tourny comes 4 handed against a guy like vandal. Very good game vandal and I'm sure i'll see you again.
    We had maybe played 6 or 7 hands headsup when this hand occured. I'm in the sb, 4k-8k blinds, at the request of my opponent I announce raise and toss in the only yellow chip in play (25000). He reraises allin and I reluctantly call with.. AA. He opens 810c, and picks up a flush draw on the turn but missed the river, leaving him with half a bb. It took 2 more hands and the tournament was over.
    I had a great time, as did Canadakev who broke 6th with a bad beat AJ to J8.

Thanks Brent and Cam
    good tourny!
    JC