Worst explanation ever

Here is the worst explanation I've ever heard of how something works.

From a Canadian Tire commercial about something called a "laser level".

Q: "What about corners?"

A: "It's a laser beam. It goes around corners."

...?

Canadian Tire. Where the usual laws of physics need not apply. :)

ScottyZ

Comments

• i've wondered about that everytime i've heard it....it makes me laugh how the line is delivered with, "yeah, it's a laser beam...."

the "yeah" makes me laugh...said with a, "you idiot...laser beams go around corners" tone...ha
  • ScottyZ wrote:

Canadian Tire. Where the usual laws of physics need not apply. :)

ScottyZ

lol.gif

some commercials i totally dont get :?
  • it uses mirrors u stupid shit

Looks like upper management at Canadian Tire has found our forum, and is getting a little huffy that their add campaign SUCKS WEASEL GREASE!

A well thought out, and convincing argument.

You should be proud of the contribution you're making.

ScottyZ
  • Lmao, go ScottyZ, go!
  • I'm pretty sure it doesn't use lasers, I think it uses some sort of prism setup to create a line(at least that is the type I have seen before, I haven't seen this actual one)
  • even still, (and i'm no expert) would that line still go around a corner? sure, i can see an inside corner, but i can't imagine an outside corner...

i'm sure there are proper names for the different types of corners...anyone?
  • I'm pretty sure it doesn't use lasers

Did you mean to say, "I'm pretty sure it doesn't use mirrors"? I bet a laser leveler does use lasers. ;)

Be careful if you're trying to refute the potent argument from Guest. He's extrordinarily skilled at cutting people down. I wept for hours myself due to his well-crafted words. Such a poetic assault on my very being... OH, THE HUMANITY!! *sob*
    i'm sure there are proper names for the different types of corners...anyone?

Being a math geek, I'd probably call them convex or concave, but more intuitive might be something more like inwards and outwards.

My theory of how this thingamabob works is that it likely projects a triangular plane of light which shows up as a straight line on a flat surface, or a sort of broken line (technically several connected line segments) when it is projected onto a surface with corners to get the "going around corners" effect.

I guess it was just easier to fit "Yeah. It's a laser. It goes around corners." into a commercial instead of "Yeah. It's a triangular plane of light. It gives the illusion of being a line which goes around corners due to the fact that the triangular plane of light is intersecting several different wall surfaces."

However, my favorite version would have been:

Q: What about corners?

A: Your house has corners? Pffff. Freak.

But the more I think about it, the more I like Guest's theory. The laser leveler probably does come with a bunch of tiny little mirrors which you can stick on the vertex of every corner you are working with in order to change the direction of the laser beam.

ScottyZ
  • But with mirrors, chance for user error would greatly improve due to mis-alignation of mirrors on the corners.
  • Ummm, yes, I did mean mirrors. :oops: On the other hand, while my knowledge of lasers is based around Laser Zeppelin, would it be fair to say that once it is turned into that line, it is no longer a laser, but just a light source(powered by a laser)?
  • I think the 'technical' term for the two types of corners is INSIDE and OUTSIDE corners.
  • Jeremy said:
    Ummm, yes, I did mean mirrors. On the other hand, while my knowledge of lasers is based around Laser Zeppelin, would it be fair to say that once it is turned into that line, it is no longer a laser, but just a light source(powered by a laser)?

Well I'm no expert, but laser is actually an acronym for "Light Amplification by Stimulated Emmision of Radiation". I don't think the fact that the laser beam changes direction due to reflection makes it less of a laser because the light still exists due to the radiation.

Just my two cents.