My Poker playing thread

2»

Comments

• Also don't let the Fed comparisons get to you.. when I joined Milo kept thinking I was fed.. he might still, baby.
  • +825, +1226

2 straight good sessions.

Back in the black.
  • Macke wrote: »
    Also don't let the Fed comparisons get to you.. when I joined Milo kept thinking I was fed.. he might still, baby.

naahhh . . . you have been too rational for too long to be Fed.
  • jaykay wrote: »
    +825, +1226

2 straight good sessions.

Back in the black.
    Where do I invest??
  • Where do I invest??

I accept bitcoin and other types of crypto-currency
  • +496, +300

I was feeling very very tired the past 2 sessions but still managed to play well. Didn't really make mistakes but also wasn't really that active. Tried to drink coffee to try to become more alert but after a while I realized I was playing in auto pilot mode so both sessions were very short. (less then 3 hours)
  • Can you give more info, game, location etc

Also some hand examples would make the thread more involving as coming on to see, +xyz last session was big doesn't add much. Also if you are not able to break hands down with villain types/tendencies you ain't paying attention much(won't lie I am terrible at keeping focus)

Best of luck. Gonna try and start playing myself 1-2 times a month from July onwards. I'm a bit greedy so gonna go for the 2-5 game in fallsview
  • -270, -20, -150

2 sessions I ended up going in for $800 when I usually set a stop loss of $500..Reason being that I was not on tilt and the tables were good.

I really do go through all of those things when I am actually playing but when a few days pass I don't remember enough details to post. Also most hands imo are not worth posting.

One question I have for all of you is...if someone makes a big raise pre flop out of position, is it a leak in my game if I make a call with hands such as low suited connector type hands or let's say Q-J, K-J, A-J type hands knowing full well that he is most likely to have high pocket pair(10's+) or A-K A-Q kind of hand with the plan to out play him after the flop? I'm not talking about 3 times big blind raises..I sometimes make calls of 10x BB raises knowing that he he has a pretty specific range and I plan on bluffing him off depending on the board texture or sometimes I luck out and actually outdraw his hands. This is assuming the player is a "I read super system and know the rules of poker and think I'm a good player" type of player which imo is 90% of the players there and not the "I will call of my stack with a flush draw or top pair no kicker no matter what" type of player. This is also assuming that I will always make the bluff when I feel like it will be the right play and not chicken out.

One other situation that I'm wondering about is....at what point should you not be calling with low pocket pairs trying to flop a set? At what point is it considered unprofitable? I know it's hard to say an exact amount since every hand is different, and there is your own stack sizes and other stack sizes, number of callers, table dynamics, etc. etc. to consider. But is there a point where you are just wasting money by set mining? In my play I kind of have an unofficial rule of calling up to 10X BB assuming I have more then 100-150+ big blinds in my stack; but it will really really depend. Sometimes I notice myself making calls pre-flop with these types of hands to relatively big raises just because there's alot of callers but sometimes feel as if it's not the right play to make. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    One question I have for all of you is...if someone makes a big raise pre flop out of position, is it a leak in my game if I make a call with hands such as low suited connector type hands or let's say Q-J, K-J, A-J type hands knowing full well that he is most likely to have high pocket pair(10's+) or A-K A-Q kind of hand with the plan to out play him after the flop?
    As long as your plan is to outplay him after the flop, you should probably call with any 2 cards.... but I suspect it is a leak!
    I'm not talking about 3 times big blind raises..I sometimes make calls of 10x BB raises knowing that he he has a pretty specific range and I plan on bluffing him off depending on the board texture or sometimes I luck out and actually outdraw his hands. This is assuming the player is a "I read super system and know the rules of poker and think I'm a good player" type of player which imo is 90% of the players there and not the "I will call of my stack with a flush draw or top pair no kicker no matter what" type of player. This is also assuming that I will always make the bluff when I feel like it will be the right play and not chicken out.
    I would try and cut down on the number of assumptions you make at the tables.... 90% of poker players do not play like they have read any book let alone that one!
    One other situation that I'm wondering about is....at what point should you not be calling with low pocket pairs trying to flop a set? At what point is it considered unprofitable? I know it's hard to say an exact amount since every hand is different, and there is your own stack sizes and other stack sizes, number of callers, table dynamics, etc. etc. to consider. But is there a point where you are just wasting money by set mining? In my play I kind of have an unofficial rule of calling up to 10X BB assuming I have more then 100-150+ big blinds in my stack; but it will really really depend. Sometimes I notice myself making calls pre-flop with these types of hands to relatively big raises just because there's alot of callers but sometimes feel as if it's not the right play to make. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    if you want a good general rule for set mining.... use a 20 to 1 rule.... if you and your opponent have 20x the preflop bet... then call. players so over-estimate their profits from set mining it borders on criminal.
  • 20 times rule interesting..thanks for that I will keep it in mind.
  • Wanted to give a little update.

I'm in a bit of a downswing right now.

-600, +300, -700, -180

First 3 sessions are from taking shots in 1-3 which didn't go that well.

The frustrating part is that the tables were so juicy and each night could have easily been +1000 every night but I'm not getting cards and I find that I'm loosening up my game to match the flow of the table which can be a good and a bad thing(but generally bad).

Silver lining is that I'm sticking to my stop loss on sessions and the -180(cashed out $20:P)I just left after 1 buy-in, even though the table was so juicy I could feel myself getting unlucky and that I was tilting and not playing optimally..I knew if I stuck around it would be a big losing session unless I went on a heater. As soon as I start calling $40 pre-flop with 10-J suited then I know that I'm not playing well.

Downswings are frustrating but I can't say that I'm getting super super unlucky..I would say that I'm mixing bad play with a little bit of bad luck and it seems like in the past few sessions I'm always "zigging" when I should be "zagging".
  • I'm not sure the point of this thread as you do not post any information to allow better players on here to teach you what you are doing wrong. The fact that you cannot recall hands from a few days ago is likely a very bad sign. I can probably recall key session hands from years ago at times and can certainly recall key hands an table dynamics from all sessions within the past few months. You need to think about your game after each session if you want to improve.

The wins/losses are nice to keep score in the long run (that would likely be 2+ years due to live statistical variance and your frequency of play) but the most important thing is to learn from your good and bad plays, your psychological state and your read on player and game dynamics in every session.
  • GTA poker I will PM you hand histories as I respect your opinion alot
    GTA poker I will PM you hand histories as I respect your opinion alot
    Ouch! <sniff>
    GTA poker I will PM you hand histories as I respect your opinion alot

Why not post itt?
  • So I was playing a 50c/50c (lol) game the other day and was up to around $150 of my $50 dollar buy in.. I have button and K5CC and I made it $5 before flop or something and two callers.

Flop is King 6 4 with one club... some guy bets $15 and I decide to call thinking i'm beat but I have position so I think it ok to see another card... turn is 3 of clubs... guy instantly says "I put you all in!" (though I had a little more than him) and I go "Huh? really? well...call" and he shows 6 4.

River was a King.. and he is mad.. really mad but he was very ESL so I couldn't make out everything.. why he so mad? even with overbet that right call right? I mean even if he had a set I still have a bunch of outs.

Why he so mad? It only 50/50c
    So I was playing a 50c/50c (lol) game the other day and was up to around $150 of my $50 dollar buy in.. I have button and K5CC and I made it $5 before flop or something and two callers.

Flop is King 6 4 with one club... some guy bets $15 and I decide to call thinking i'm beat but I have position so I think it ok to see another card... turn is 3 of clubs... guy instantly says "I put you all in!" (though I had a little more than him) and I go "Huh? really? well...call" and he shows 6 4.

River was a King.. and he is mad.. really mad but he was very ESL so I couldn't make out everything.. why he so mad? even with overbet that right call right? I mean even if he had a set I still have a bunch of outs.

if you know he has a set.... you should fold.... if you know he doesn't... you should call....

and of course there's a large gray area in between!
    So I was playing a 50c/50c (lol) game the other day and was up to around $150 of my $50 dollar buy in.. I have button and K5CC and I made it $5 before flop or something and two callers.

I'm in White Rock...can we playz?

"I put you all in" I hate that saying so much...why do people say that so often..where do they even get that....

In this hand I think you could have gone either way. % wise on the turn it's probably 50/50, but then again I'm not a % expert. On the one hand you only had invested $20 up to that point and could have layed it down, but also calling is not a wrong option either since you have so many outs. I don't know the dynamic up until that point but if you guys are raising 10x BB as a standard raise it must have been a pretty fast paced game and in that case I don't fault you for calling. In some cases I would be able to lay it down and just wait for a better spot...
    % wise on the turn it's probably 50/50, but then again I'm not a % expert. O

Apparently you are... it is literally 50.00% / 50.00%. Keep in mind that that is against his exact hand though, and only after catching the miracle card on the turn.

I would have said fold preflop but saw it was a button raise, so I think this is close enough to OK as played. I don't think I fold on the flop for a single bet either, and then its a flip of the coin once the 3c comes. NH.
  • Bfillmaff wrote: »
    Apparently you are... it is literally 50.00% / 50.00%. Keep in mind that that is against his exact hand though, and only after catching the miracle card on the turn.

I would have said fold preflop but saw it was a button raise, so I think this is close enough to OK as played. I don't think I fold on the flop for a single bet either, and then its a flip of the coin once the 3c comes. NH.
    Clearly you don't realize the correct upside-down reverse implied oddz of K5s.... 10x raise from the button may actually be a little small given this hands potential!
  • Yah I normally don't get too committed with king5.. but it was a very fast and loose game sooo.
  • I want to lose monies at 50cent game...PM me
  • Last week: Achievement Unlocked- win every session in 1 week

+1600 on the week

and then the start of the new week I am -500 already.

Ok let me post a hand. 1/2NL

I have kc-10c on the button.

Table is not too loose not too tight, guy in early position raises to 12 preflop, 3 other callers, I make the call. I have around $400 in my stack and the guy who raises has around $550. Guy is pretty solid reg but he is on the nittier side.

Flop comes:

9-Q-4 2 spades 1 club

Villain C-bets $45. I decide to float with the gutshot and hopefully be able to take the pot away on a later street or hit the miracle gutshot or backdoor flush.

Turn is a King of spades

Villain checks to me. I decide to bet $75. He thinks for a while and just calls. At this point I feel like there is a slight chance that my King is good and maybe he has something like A-Q and I got lucky on the turn but I feel kind of iffy that he made the call . Also, I feel like he should be very worried about my call on the flop and the 3rd spade hitting should have given off some alarm bells in his head, however he didn't seem too worried about the third spade. I pretty much eliminated the possibility of him having a flush here as well.

River is a blank

Check- Check

Villain has pockets Aces. no spade.

I was very very close to going all in on the river to represent the flush there but I didn't like the way he called on the turn. It felt like he was in hero call mode and no matter what he had he wanted to make the call. I feel like the line would be correct to represent a flush there but I didn't have enough faith in the villain to be able to fold a hand like Aces there. Ultimately I wasted $130 by trying to get too creative. Knowing that he has aces, would you pull the trigger on the all-in bluff?
  • Nits do not fold overpairs. You need a plan on the flop for the turn and the river if you are "floating".

I do not understand your line at all in this hand without explanation as to what your purpose was in betting the turn. Once we know that we can figure out a better line for you.
  • GTA

I wanted to represent hitting the flush on the turn and set up a all-in bluff on the river.

Also, I could have lucked out to the winning hand on the river and turn it into a value bet situation.

That was my plan at least when making that bet, but his body language and the way he called made me shutdown my plan to make an all-in bluff on the river.
  • 14x is the general rule for calling low pocket pairs.

Where you play normally?