2/5 Live Player making 100k/year

Comments

• jaykay wrote: »
    so mean

Tis ok, none of us can either, including GTA...:)
  • If you have to ask how much you can make..
    You can't make it.
  • compuease wrote: »
    Tis ok, none of us can either, including GTA...:)

;) PLO tho
  • I had a dream and it became a nightmare.
  • I have a friend who plays 2/5 and higher when he can find the game. Rama always has a 2/5 game and he's there daily. He makes a living playing however I don't know exactly what he makes. He did try and play higher stakes by moving to Niagara but found he made just as much or more at Rama so he came back after a year. He travels to Montreal to play at Playground 4 or 5 times a year and indicated he might come here for a few weeks vacationing/poker playing when summer comes. Before making the jump to full time, he played part time for almost 3 years, knew his win rate, expected income, bankroll required etc.

Poker playing for a living, especially grinding at lower stakes, is not an easy task. As someone mentioned you'd make good money putting that time into a real job.

Good luck with it, it is possible, but I agree with GTA, if you have to ask you probably can't do it.
  • www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9XZ2iU8MqU here is a film you should watch.This happened to some players who had the same wish as you.It is called Poker Bust outs.
  • If you don't have any financial responsibilties, why not give it a shot? I find when you try to play poker to make a living you win less than when you just play for the fun of it. Your decision making is swayed. Gambling is more FU N anyway.
  • JimmyHo wrote: »
    If you don't have any financial responsibilties, why not give it a shot? I find when you try to play poker to make a living you win less than when you just play for the fun of it. Your decision making is swayed. Gambling is more FU N anyway.
    Are you saying you have tried to play poker for a living?

If you are making more money playing poker for fun than you are when you are playing seriously... then one of the following things MUST be true...

a) You are experiencing variance!
    b) You are playing incorrectly!
    c) Both a) and b)
  • I stink at poker. I will let the rest of you try to figure out how to beat the game and make a living at it. I will just continue to play for FUN.
  • I really don't see what's wrong with asking...I'm not saying I will make 100k playing 2/5..I'm asking if it is possible. I am not a 2/5 player so I don't have any basis on expectation of win rate at those stakes.

Anyways poker is something that appeals to me just because of the freedom and being able to set my own schedule. I don't see poker as a long term thing to make a living at but rather something that I can attempt while I'm still relatively young just to say that I tried. I will probably try to play poker 1 full straight year someday and no matter what happens I wont have any regrets.

WHen I do attempt it though it will be with a proper roll and I want to do it the right way. I don't want any unrealistic expectations and I want to get rid of the leaks in my game.
  • chaimr1924 wrote: »
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9XZ2iU8MqU here is a film you should watch.This happened to some players who had the same wish as you.It is called Poker Bust outs.

This film was terrible..most of them were just loser degenerate weirdos and they were just spewing out stupid tired poker cliche's. This is an example of someone that I don't want to be. I feel like this is something that would be relevant in 2001.
    WHen I do attempt it though it will be with a proper roll and I want to do it the right way. I don't want any unrealistic expectations and I want to get rid of the leaks in my game.

Nothing wrong with asking and I think you had decent answers.. Set aside 40 buyins, ($20K) play smart and pray.. All of this "assumes" you are a winning player to start with.

1/ how are you going to get rid of your leaks?
    2/ How do you know you are a winning player, ie Have you played enough hands to even know?
    3/ How do you know what your win rate is?

I hope the poker bankroll is separate from you life roll, ie living expenses.. and you don't have any other leaks, ie table games.

Keep us updated on your progress., ie start a daily blog which helps to keep you disciplined. Track all of your play ACCURATELY..
    I really don't see what's wrong with asking...I'm not saying I will make 100k playing 2/5..I'm asking if it is possible. I am not a 2/5 player so I don't have any basis on expectation of win rate at those stakes.

Anyways poker is something that appeals to me just because of the freedom and being able to set my own schedule. I don't see poker as a long term thing to make a living at but rather something that I can attempt while I'm still relatively young just to say that I tried. I will probably try to play poker 1 full straight year someday and no matter what happens I wont have any regrets.

Better plan, learn to deal, find an underground club owner that will give you a chance, make $300+ a night in tips...easy game!
    Nothing wrong with asking and I think you had decent answers.. Set aside 40 buyins, ($20K) play smart and pray.. All of this "assumes" you are a winning player to start with.

1/ how are you going to get rid of your leaks?
    2/ How do you know you are a winning player, ie Have you played enough hands to even know?
    3/ How do you know what your win rate is?

I hope the poker bankroll is separate from you life roll, ie living expenses.. and you don't have any other leaks, ie table games.

Keep us updated on your progress., ie start a daily blog which helps to keep you disciplined. Track all of your play ACCURATELY..

1. Playing more! Self reflecting on my sessions and asking if I did anything wrong and most importantly how I can improve, not playing while I'm tired/tilted, etc. Setting a stop loss, asking other people how I can improve. Understanding more the fundamental side of poker to be able to make better decisions in 50/50 spots.

2. I do not know, I am so far a losing player..I believe i have the natural talent but I just did not have the other factors that contribute to being a winning player(mental and fundamental side..having a proper roll, playing tired, playing tilted, not setting any stop/loss, making fundamental mistakes. I am not the type to get overly tilted, but I realized that playing tired is pretty much like playing on tilt.

3. I do not know, I wont know until I play again and start tracking my sessions.
    Better plan, learn to deal, find an underground club owner that will give you a chance, make $300+ a night in tips...easy game!

I can't speak for all clubs, but I believe some (maybe all) take a portion of the dealers tips, or the dealers pay the club to work there, so $300 might be overestimating the nightly earnings.
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    I can't speak for all clubs, but I believe some (maybe all) take a portion of the dealers tips, or the dealers pay the club to work there, so $300 might be overestimating the nightly earnings.
    Can you please take this to the "Live dealer making $300 a night" thread!
    1. Playing more! Self reflecting on my sessions and asking if I did anything wrong and most importantly how I can improve, not playing while I'm tired/tilted, etc. Setting a stop loss, asking other people how I can improve. Understanding more the fundamental side of poker to be able to make better decisions in 50/50 spots.

2. I do not know, I am so far a losing player..I believe i have the natural talent but I just did not have the other factors that contribute to being a winning player(mental and fundamental side..having a proper roll, playing tired, playing tilted, not setting any stop/loss, making fundamental mistakes. I am not the type to get overly tilted, but I realized that playing tired is pretty much like playing on tilt. The things you listed above are exactly the skills you do need (or the things to avoid), to be a winning player. What do you think natural talent is, hopefully you don't think it's just people reading skills? That's maybe 10% of it.

3. I do not know, I wont know until I play again and start tracking my sessions. Exactly

See above in red.
  • I lost 6k last week after being up 16k last month...good times playing for a living;)
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    I lost 6k last week after being up 16k last month...good times playing for a living;)
    In Calgary still?
  • In Calgary still?

Yeah... You here?
    Yeah... You here?

Bought a condo in kensington. Moving back at the end of June. Excited to start playing again. Ontario sucks for poker.
  • Nice...Kensington is great. If you need any cash game info let me know. I'll hopefully be living in BC by then but if you are out here before then let me know.
    Nice...Kensington is great. If you need any cash game info let me know. I'll hopefully be living in BC by then but if you are out here before then let me know.

Can you help me get a couch moved?
    Can you help me get a couch moved?

#leavingitallbehindandgoingpro

anyone want to back me for 20k?
    #leavingitallbehindandgoingpro

anyone want to back me for 20k?
    You need that much to get a moving business going?:confused:
    You need that much to get a moving business going?:confused:

Plus coffees and pokerz
  • Would $10k be enough? Let me get back to you. I'm working on it.
    Would $10k be enough? Let me get back to you. I'm working on it.
    5k should be more than adequate.... just work on you Rrrroll up the Rrrrim skillz... coffee expenses should be none existent!!
  • read this article and thought of this thread. It's a good read, answers the question in the OP.

Full Contact Poker : Your online poker community